Table of Contents
- What is Cefixime?
- Uses of Cefixime
- How Does Cefixime Work?
- Cefixime Price in India
- How to Take Cefixime?
- Common Dosage for Cefixime
- Precautions – When to Avoid Cefixime?
- Side-Effects of Cefixime?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Effect of Cefixime on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results of Cefixime
- Storage Requirements for Cefixime
- Pro Tips When Taking Cefixime
- FAQ – Things to Know About Cefixime
- Is Cefixime addictive?
- Can I have Cefixime with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Cefixime when pregnant?
- Can I have Cefixime when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Cefixime?
- What happens if I overdose on Cefixime?
- What happens if I eat expired Cefixime?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Cefixime?
What is Cefixime?
Cefixime belongs to “cephalosporin” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Cefixime is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu, etc.
Buy & Get 20% Off: Use 1mg Offers | Netmeds Offers | Myra Medicines Offers
Uses of Cefixime
Cefixime is commonly used in the treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils, etc.
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
Cefixime may be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Cefoperazone Sulbactam Uses | Cefpodoxime Proxetil Uses | Ceftum 500 Uses
How Does Cefixime Work?
Cefixime belongs to cephalosporins group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability). Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall which is important for the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane, thus, killing the bacteria and checking its growth.
Cefixime Price in India
|200 mg Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 97.55|
How to Take Cefixime?
Available in two forms:
- Tablet: 200 mg and 400 mg
- Oral liquid suspension
Cefixime tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go (except in cases of chewable tablets). They can be taken with or without food. For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body at all times. Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
In case if syrup is used, shake the bottle well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine. Cefixime syrup may contain sucrose, so diabetic patients should use it with caution or shall consult with your doctor before consuming it.
When on Cefixime therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course or skipping the doses as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Cefixime
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- Cefixime is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient. The standard adult dose of cefixime is 400 mg daily which can be prescribed as 400 mg tablet daily or as 200 mg tablet twice daily.
- The recommended dose in children is 8 mg/kg/day of the suspension. This may be administered as one single daily dose or may be given in two divided doses, as 4 mg/kg every 12 hours.
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Cefixime may need to be reduced.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Also Read: Cefuroxime Axetil Dosage | Cetzine Dosage | Cheston Cold Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Cefixime?
Cefixime should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Cefixime
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to cephalosporin family like Cefaclor, Cefepime, Cefuroxime, etc.
- History of penicillin allergy
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients suffering from colitis
Side-Effects of Cefixime?
Side-effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Severe stomach pain
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side-effects like
- Watery and severe diarrhea
- Signs of kidney disease (decreased urinary output)
- Yellowing of eyes/skin
- Dark colored urine
- Altered blood cell count
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Cefixime is used to treat bacterial infections an allergic reaction to Cefixime might occur.
Possible allergic reactions reported include itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on the face, lips, and throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
Effect of Cefixime on Organs
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Cefixime should be administered with caution.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- Some of the common drugs which interact with Cefixime include:
- Warfarin and other anticoagulants
Effects/Results of Cefixime
The time taken for Cefixime to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
Some patients might show decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Also Read: Candid B Cream Side Effect | Caripill Side Effects
Storage Requirements for Cefixime
- Syrups: Protect from light
- Tablets: Protect from humidity, light, and temperatures above 400C
Pro Tips When Taking Cefixime
- For assessing sugar in urine using Benedict’s solution or Fehling’s solution may show a false positive reaction in patients on Cefixime. It is recommended that some other glucose tests based on other methods be used in such patients.
- Similarly, a false positive direct Coombs test has been reported in patients administering Cefixime. Therefore, it should be recognized that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug.
FAQ – Things to Know About Cefixime
Is Cefixime addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Cefixime with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with cefixime is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Cefixime when pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. The medicine should only be administered if absolutely necessary after medical advice as there are no adequate long-term well-controlled studies in pregnant women.
Can I have Cefixime when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child. Cefixime has not been studied for use during lactation. Treatment should only be given after consulting your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Cefixime?
Cefixime Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive.
Few patients might experience dizziness; in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Cefixime?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Cefixime?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Cefixime to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cefixime?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.