Star fruit is a green or a yellowish green fruit native to Southeast Asia, primarily Indonesia. If you’re looking for a fruit which is not only a delicious treat but also a major dietary option, then star fruit is for you. Star fruit is rich in various nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin A and minerals like phosphorous, calcium and copper that help combat different diseases. Also, it is used as a highly-effective home remedy for hangovers and to cure sunburns.
You’ll be surprised to know that the flowers and the leaves of the star fruit also help in curing skin diseases and other health issues like the common cold, fever and sore throat. Its high nutritional value makes it the most widely used fruit in the kitchen. If you can bear its sour taste, then you can eat it raw or you can make a smoothie, juice or shake by adding some sweetening agent to it. Grab a star fruit and give a refreshing start to your day!
Buy & Enjoy Discount: BigBasket Coupon Code | Grofers Coupon Code
Useful Information About Star Fruit
- This fruit is an oblong star-shaped tropical fruit which is available in sweet and sour tastes. The sweet one is found between summer to autumn while the sour one is found between summer to the middle of winter.
- It grows on a small, bushy evergreen tree that is found in a hot, humid and tropical climate. The tree bears lilac coloured, bell-shaped flowers that develop into light green to yellow star fruits.
- Star fruit is the fruit of Averrhoa carambola which is a species of a tree native to Indonesia, the Philippines, and Malaysia.
- Star fruit is referred to as ‘Kamrakh’ in Hindi and Gujarati, ‘Ambanamkaya’ in Telugu, ‘Thambaratham’ in Tamil, ‘Kaparakshi Hannu’ in Kannada, ‘Chaturappuli’ in Malayalam, Karambal in Marathi, ‘Kamranga’ in Bengali and ‘Carambola’ in some parts of the world.
Benefits and Uses of Star Fruit
1. Controls Obesity
The peel of the star fruit is rich in dietary fibre. It prevents the absorption of LDL cholesterol in the intestinal lining reducing obesity. It helps keep your colon and gut healthy while getting rid of infections and other toxic substances. According to a 2016 study published in the Nutrients Journal of US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, star fruit has proved to be beneficial as it has anti-obesity effects on human body.
2. Improves Metabolism
Star fruit is rich in dietary fibre that helps regulate your digestive system. It also stimulates your bowel movement that keeps your gut healthy. A healthy gut regulates your metabolism and frees it from other toxic substances as well. According to a 2016 study published in the journal, Clinical Interventions in Aging of US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, regular consumption of Star Fruit in moderate quantities helps improve metabolism.
3. Reduces Inflammation
Star fruit has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation in the body. You can consume star fruit in moderate quantities to reduce various diseases caused due to inflammation in your body like eczema, ulcers, sinusitis and more.
4. Treats Sore Eyes
The high magnesium content of the star fruit also helps reduce pain and irritation caused by sore eyes. Consume star fruit that is rich in Vitamin B6 in order to get relief from puffy eyes as well as to relax the optic nerves. The fruit’s anti-bacterial properties helps reduce the cause of soreness in your eyes.
5. Reduces Stomach Ulcers
Most of the stomach ulcers are caused by bacterial infections which can be reduced with the help of star fruit as it has anti-bacterial properties. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory property of the fruit also helps reduce toxic substances from the stomach.
6. Lowers Cholesterol Levels
The rich copper content in the fruit helps reduce the amount of LDL (Low-Density Lipoproteins) Cholesterol in the body and reduces the absorption of toxic substances. Its rich dietary fibre content helps promote thinning of blood in your arteries leading to lowered cholesterol levels.
7. Treats Skin Acne
If you have an acne prone skin, then apply star fruit extracts directly on your skin to reduce inflammation and other bacterial infection. You can also include star fruit in your diet to help reduce the impurities from your blood which in return reduces the occurrence of acne breakouts and pimples.
8. Promotes a Healthy Glowing Skin
The rich zinc content in star fruit offers antimicrobial effects and helps revitalize your skin cells. It promotes rejuvenation and provides hydration to your skin from within. You can also add star fruit in your face packs to bring back the lost glow on your skin.
9. Promotes Hair Growth
Star fruit is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin C which helps other nutrients to circulate freely in your body. This circulation regulates the release of free radicals in your body. Vitamin C promotes hair growth and delays greying of hair and other signs of ageing.
10. Makes Hair Shiny
Star fruit contains vitamin B-complex that makes your hair shinier and thicker. Combine Aloe Vera gel and star fruit extracts and apply to your hair.
Also Read: Benefits Of Pears | Peach Benefits
Nutritional Value of Star Fruit
Now that you know how beneficial a star fruit can be, here’s a look at its nutritional values. Nutrition Data lists these values for 132g of star fruit:
|Total Carbohydrate||9.0 g|
|Dietary Fibre||2 g|
|Total Fat||0.4 g|
|Vitamin A||80.5 IU (International Unit)|
|Vitamin C||45.4 mg|
Star fruit has a low-calorie content (mostly coming from its sugar content) and high dietary fibre that aids in weight loss and controls obesity. According to a study titled ‘Starfruit: A fruit for healthy Life’ by Dr. Hitesh Kumar that was published in ‘Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry’, a star fruit contains 92% of water. Also, it helps nourish the body with several vitamins and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, Vitamin C and A.
Also Read: Papaya Nutrition | Guava Nutrition
Risks And Precautions When Consuming Star Fruit
Star fruits are 100% natural and they do not have any potential risks or harm to your body. However, you can keep the following things in mind before starting to consume the fruit on a regular basis:
- If you’ve any renal problems, you should avoid the consumption of star fruit as the fruit is rich in oxalates which may disrupt the normal functioning of your kidneys
- People suffering from Diabetes mellitus should avoid the consumption of star fruit or consult their doctor before consuming the fruit on a regular basis as it may elevate their blood sugar levels
- Heart patients on heavy medication should consult their physician before consuming a star fruit on a regular basis as it thins the blood and lowers cholesterol levels.
How to Consume Star Fruit?
A starfruit is generally green and then turns to yellow and further orange. If the star fruit is 50% yellow, then the fruit is considered ripe. The green star fruit is slightly tart and sour that becomes sweeter when it turns to yellow. Slice the fruit into a shape of small stars which is a popular way to enjoy it.
- Add this freshly cut fruit to your salad. You can also garnish your fruit salad with this fruit to make it look more appealing
- You can add it to your stews or curries to give your dish a tangy twist
- If you like slightly sour drinks, then you can juice it up and drink it as a beverage.
Some Fun Facts About Star Fruit
- Starfruit tree has a bushy but short trunk with a round crown. The tree grows up to 25 to 30 feet in height and 20 to 25 feet in width.
- Star fruit tends to close its leaves during the night.
- Star fruit tree blooms all year round and its flowers attract bees which are responsible for its pollination.
- A star fruit tree is a perennial tree that can live up to 40 years.
It is evident from the above-mentioned benefits that a star fruit is that magic fruit which contains a lot of vitamins, minerals as well as other essential nutrients that provide numerous health benefits. The fruit is highly beneficial, and you should add it to your diet to ensure a healthy life. Grab on a star fruit and enjoy its tangy ride!