Skip to Content
The picturesque hilly town of Dehradun nestled in the Shivalik hills is studded with many lush green valleys, river streams as well as scenic places. The hilly terrain of this Garhwal region accords many adventure activities such as paragliding, skiing, angling, trekking etc. The place is also a religious and spiritual destination with many temples and shrines dotting its landscape.
Things To Do in Dehradune
16.Enjoy Cosy Stays at Lacchiwala
Lacchiwala is a remote place in the lap of nature and away from the hustle and bustle of city life. You can stay at the many lovely and cosy cottages and resorts which dot this place.
15. Enjoy Shopping at Tibetan Market
The Tibetan market close to Parade Ground Road and another one at Rispana Pul can be explored to buy multi-coloured woollen clothing. Tibetan handicrafts and traditional Garhwali jewellery pieces are also sold in this market. A variety of beautiful wind chimes and wood works can also be bought from here.
Also Read: Places To Visit In Dehradun
14. Savour Delectable Local Cuisine
Enjoy momos, noodles in butter soup, eat hot and spicy Maggie at the varied Maggie points which dot the hilly landscape of Dehradun. You can explore the following food joints to satisfy your palate
- Try the momos especially the chilli momos at Kalsang
- Enjoy the soft and crispy milk rusks with coffee or tea at Standard Bakery
- Savour sinful butter toffees from Ellora Bakery and Melting Moments
- Enjoy fast food such as vada pav, vegetable sandwich etc. at the Buffet Snacks Shop near Clock Tower
- Enjoy the chill with hot momos and soup from Singh Soup Bar
- Experience true street food by having the hearty poori thali at Chetan Poori Wala at Hanuman Chowk
For fine dining as well as casual dining experience you can visit the following upmarket and classy restaurants
- Punjab Grill
- Mussoorie Lights
- Y Cafe And Restaurant
- Black Pepper Restaurant
- Town Table Restaurant
- Muse Restaurant
- BMG- All Day Dining
13. Soar Sky High with Paragliding
Have an exhilarating and breath-taking experience by soaring high in the sky with paragliding. You can have an aerial view and admire the beauty of Mussoorie, Chakrata, Rishikesh and other nearby places by taking the two-seater paragliding ride which lasts for about an hour
12. Get Adventurous with Trekking and Camping
Dehradun is located at a height of 640 m above sea level and offers an ideal terrain for many challenging as well as popular trekking trails such as
- Kedarkantha Trek
- Rupin Pass Trek
- Bali Pass Trek
- Jwala Devi
- Shivalik Ranges
- Bhadraj Temple
- George Everest
- Doon Valley
The trekking activity can be explored between June and December in Dehradun
11. Go Skiing in Mundali
Located about 200 km from Dehradun, Mundali is a hilly resort best known for skiing activities on its snow-clad mountain peaks. The place is nestled in lush green forests and pristine surroundings. The area is covered in snow which is used for exhilarating activities like skiing. Chakrata serves as a base town to reach this hilly resort. The place also houses a ski school catering to the needs of all its skier enthusiasts
10. Go Cycling
The verdant greenery of the hilly region of Dehradun makes it a wondrous destination to go cycling. One can cycle in leisure and explore the city as well as the suburban towns of Mussoorie and Rishikesh.
9. Play Golf
Dehradun’s greenery serves as a perfect backdrop to play golf in many of its clubs such as Small Putt at The Club on the Rajpur road and DSOI Gold Clubhouse, Vijay path.
8. Indulge in Water Sports at Assan Barrage
You can undertake exciting water sports activities at the Asan Barrage Water Sport Resort located about 43 km from Dehradun. Activities such as water skiing, boating, canoeing, rowing etc. can be experienced at the resort
7. Enjoy Bird Watching at Assan Barrage
The Dhaulipur Lake or Assan Barage is a biodiversity region which is visited by several migratory birds during winters, making it a paradise for bird watchers and photographers.
6. Explore Wildlife
- Undertake wildlife safaris and sight rare animals such as tigers, elephants, kIng Cobra, Sambar, Chital as well as varied species of migratory birds at the Rajaji National Park
- Experience rich flora and fauna and sightsee two horned deer, Neelgai, peococks etc by visiting the Malsi Deer Park
- Undertake rare Indian tiger sighting safari at Tiger View Jungle Camp located in Goolar Khalla village
5. Get Entralled by the Mindrolling Monastery
This majestic monastery belongs to the Tibetan Nyingma School. It is home to the world’s tallest stupa. Many gardens, varied shrines showcasing Tibetan murals and arts as well as a Buddhist college is housed in the monastery. A tall Buddha figurine is a prominent structure of the place
4. Experience Divinity at the Temples
Dwell in inner peace and tranquillity in the midst of lush greenery by taking blessings at
- Tapkeshwar Temple
- Tapovan Temple
3. Experience Tranquil at Sahastradhara
You should not miss out on Sahastradhara or ‘thousand-fold springs’ where the water cascades down from the limestone stalactites. This water is sulphur rich and is known to have medicinal and therapeutic properties. Enjoy the captivating beauty of the area and seep into the calm and peace of this tranquil place.
2. Get Intrigued by Robber’s Cave
Robber’s cave is a naturally formed cave which has a river flowing through it. A stream of water appears in the cave, then vanishes and again re-emerges some distance away in the cave intriguing its many visitors.
1. Tour the Forest Research Institute
You should definitely spare some time and visit the majestic Forest Research Institute which is a deemed university dedicated to forestry research and training. The British and Greco-Roman architecture of the building is so appealing to the eyes that many famous Bollywood movies have been shot here.
Other places & things to explore:
- Places To Visit In Mussoorie
- Things To Do In Mussoorie
- Places To Visit In Nainital
- Things To Do In Nainital
How to Reach Dehradun
Jolly Grant Airport (30 km away)
Nearest Railway Station:
Dehradun railway station
Nearest Bus Stops:
You can avail bus services to and from Dehradun which are available on a regular basis
Rent a Car
You can also rent a car and travel by road to Dehradun. The drive to Dehradun is fabulous and is an experience that one must add to their bucket list.
Where to stay in Dehradun
These are the most popular places to stay in Dehradun:
IDA Hotel | Hotel Pacific Dehradun | Lemon Tree Hotel, Dehradun | Hotel Saffron Leaf