Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Castor Oil
- 2 Which Castor Oil Should You Use?
- 3 How To Apply Castor Oil In Your Eyes
- 4 Uses Benefits Of Castor Oil For Your Eyes
- 5 Reduces Wrinkles Around Your Eyes
- 6 Precautions You Must Take
- 7 10 Important Questions About Castor Oil Answered
- 7.1 Can castor oil eye drops help with blurred vision after cataract surgery?
- 7.2 Is castor oil good for eyes?
- 7.3 What will happen if castor oil enters in the eyes?
- 7.4 How can I use castor oil for dry eyes and what precaution one must take while using it?
- 7.5 Does applying castor oil on your navel helps treat dry eyes?
- 7.6 Can I apply castor oil on dark circles?
- 7.7 Can castor oil improve my eyesight?
- 7.8 Is castor oil safe for my eyes?
- 7.9 Can castor oil really grow eyelashes? How long does it take for castor oil to re-grow eyelashes?
- 7.10 What are the side effects of castor oil?
- 8 Other Oils That Are Good For Your Face
What Is Castor Oil
Castor oil is a plant-based oil that is extracted from the seeds of the castor plant. It was first used by ancient Egyptians and Indians. They saw it had several benefits for our health that are still applicable today. In this post, we will discuss the benefits of Castor oil for your eyes.
Know In Detail: Benefit of Tea Tree For Pimples
Which Castor Oil Should You Use?
It is best to consult your ophthalmologist before you apply castor oil in your eyes. There are various kinds of castor oils available in the market. Not all of them are safe for your eyes.
The best one to use is a cold-pressed castor oil. Make sure the castor oil you use is sterile and has no impurities (refined). Buy a 100% organic cold-pressed hexane-free castor oil that your doctor recommends.
Interesting Article: Benefits of Castor Oil For Your Face
How To Apply Castor Oil In Your Eyes
- Buy an eyedropper (empty one if possible)
- Clean the eye dropper thoroughly (Ensure it is sterile)
- Suck the castor oil into the eyedropper
- Drop just one drop in each eye before going to sleep
- Your vision may become blurry but will subside by the time you wake up in the morning
Know in Detail: How To Apply Castor Oil
Uses Benefits Of Castor Oil For Your Eyes
Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid which has anti-inflammatory properties. It will reduce swelling and redness in your eyes. Reduction of wrinkles and lines around your eyes is an added benefit.
1. Treats Eye Allergies
Castor oil encourages lipid production in your eyes which prevents dryness. Anti-inflammatory properties of castor oil also help prevent eye allergies.
You May Also Like: Benefits of Olive Oil For Massage
2. Treats Bloodshot Eyes
If your eyes become bloodshot and show red veins, castor oil will ease your ailment. Simply put a drop of castor oil in each eye. The anti-inflammatory property of castor oil will work its magic.
This Might Interest You: Benefits of Olive Oil For Body
3. Supplements Cataract Treatment
Sometimes cataract surgery is the only option you have left. Use castor oil before the surgery to reduce the damage. You can also use it post your surgery to aid the recovery of your eye.
4. Treats Itchy And Irritated Eyes
The oil is a natural emollient and moisturizer. So, apply it in your eyes to do away with itchy and irritated eyes.
Read About: Benefits of Olive Oil For Face
5. Treats Puffy Eyes
Castor oil has soothing properties that can better puffy eyes. Simply take a few drops in your palm and use your fingers to massage your eyelids. Regular application will make the puffiness subside.
6. Removes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes
There are several benefits of Castor oil for your skin. There are important fatty acids in castor oil that have a nourishing effect on your skin. They remove dead skin cells and make your skin lighter. Massage your dark circles with castor oil and watch those dark circles fade away with time.
Also Learn: Benefits of Neem Oil For Face
Reduces Wrinkles Around Your Eyes
The emollient properties of castor oil can work their magic on the wrinkles around your eyes. Here is how to use castor oil to remove wrinkles.
- Clean your face properly
- Pat your face to dry it
- Take some castor oil in your palm
- Apply it on the wrinkles around the eyes using your fingers
- The oil will get absorbed in your skin in 15-20 mins
- Do not wash it away
You can also use Castor oil to improve and grow your eyelashes and eyebrows. Read more about the benefits of Castor oil for your eyebrows to know how to use it effectively and safely.
Precautions You Must Take
People allergic to castor oil should definitely not drop it in their eyes. In fact, it is best to consult your eye doctor before you use castor oil in your eyes. Make sure to buy what your doctor recommends. Ideally, a 100% organic cold-pressed hexane-free castor oil should do the trick.
10 Important Questions About Castor Oil Answered
Can castor oil eye drops help with blurred vision after cataract surgery?
Earlier, castor oil was used to protect eyes from irritation but now there are many different and modern ways to help with irritation and blurred vision after a cataract surgery. While castor oil can still be used post cataract surgery for a better recovery of the eye, always consult your doctor before applying castor oil in your eyes.
Is castor oil good for eyes?
Yes, castor oil can help with a lot of eye problems. To know how, refer to the blog above.
What will happen if castor oil enters in the eyes?
Castor oil is good for eyes and usually does not harm them. But there is a chance of mild irritation or temporary redness.
How can I use castor oil for dry eyes and what precaution one must take while using it?
Castor oil can be used to treat eye irritation and dry eyes. But it should always be used after consulting a doctor as excess of castor oil or any foreign product in the eye may cause even more irritation.
No, applying castor oil on your navel does not help in treating dry eyes, instead it helps in treating knee pain.
Can I apply castor oil on dark circles?
Yes, you can apply castor oil on dark circles to make them lighter and eventually make them fade away.
Can castor oil improve my eyesight?
Yes, castor oil can help improve eyesight. While there are many varieties of castor oil that may even harm your eyes if applied, always consult your doctor to know what type of castor oil is good for improving the eyesight.
Is castor oil safe for my eyes?
In most cases, cold-pressed castor oil is safe for the eyes, but consulting your ophthalmologist before applying it is always recommended.
Can castor oil really grow eyelashes? How long does it take for castor oil to re-grow eyelashes?
Yes, castor oil is quite effective in re-growth of eyelashes. It usually takes 3-6 months for eyelashes to grow and show a significant change.
What are the side effects of castor oil?
Castor Oil if taken in high quantities might lead to:
- Abdominal Cramps
- Electrolyte Disturbance
- Low Blood Pressure
- Pelvic Congestion
Other Oils That Are Good For Your Face
- Benefits of Jojoba Oil For Face
- Benefits of Coconut Oil For Face
- Benefits of Argan Oil For Face
- Benefits of Almond Oil For Face