Table of Contents
- What is Acebrophylline?
- Uses of Acebrophylline
- Acebrophylline Price in India
- How to Take Acebrophylline?
- Common Dosage For Acebrophylline
- Precautions – When To Avoid Acebrophylline?
- Side-effects of Acebrophylline?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage Requirements for Acebrophylline
- Pro Tips When Taking Acebrophylline –
Acebrophylline Composition –ambroxol and theophylline
Prescription – Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs.129 per Strip of 10 Tablets
1What is Acebrophylline?
Acebrophylline is a compound with ambroxol and theophylline as its chief constituents. Acebrophylline acts by relaxing the smooth muscles present in your airway tract and lungs. It also regularises the production of mucus in your airway, making it lose and thin. Acebrophylline allows the patient to breathe better.
Here is a video detailing Acebrophylline uses, side effects, precautions. You can scroll down to read everything in details.
Buy & Get Upto 20% Off - Use 1mg Coupon Code - Netmeds Coupon Code
2Uses of Acebrophylline
Acebrophylline is used to treat blockage, swelling, and irritation for adults suffering from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and bronchial asthma. It is also used to relieve patients from a cough, difficulty in breathing or tightness in the chest.
You may also read: Aceclofenac Uses | Aceclofenac Paracetamol Uses
3Acebrophylline Price in India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 129|
4How to Take Acebrophylline?
You can either take capsules or syrup-based formulations of Acebrophylline. They are usually taken by mouth along with a glass of water or as directed by your physician.
Acebrophylline should ideally be taken after food to avoid GI discomfort. Shake the suspension liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
5Common Dosage For Acebrophylline
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
Acebrophylline is usually prescribed in tablet/capsule form or in syrup form. Tablets are usually available in 100mg/200mg dosage. The common dose for adults is 100mg twice a day. Acebrophylline should ideally be taken after food to avoid GI discomfort.
You may also read: Albendazole Dosage | Alex Cough Syrup Dosage
6Precautions – When To Avoid Acebrophylline?
- Avoid if you are allergic to xanthine derivative, ambroxol, acebrophylline or theophylline
- Patients suffering from low blood pressure or a history of heart attack or irregular heart rhythms should not take this drug
- Patients with Liver disease or kidney disorder should not take this drug
7Side-effects of Acebrophylline?
Side effects with Acebrophylline are quite uncommon. The possible side-effects include:
- Acebrophylline: Loss of appetite
- Difficulty in breathing
- Changes in BP
You may also read: Alprax Side Effects | Acitrom Side Effects
8Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although rare, rashes and itching on the skin have been reported.
9Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use
- Drug interactions with Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Lincomycin, Clindamycin, Oxytetracycline, Propranolol, Phenytoin, Allopurinol, Cimetidine, Cephalexin, Carbamezipine, anticoagulants have been reported. If combined use is unavoidable, the dose of Acebrophylline must be lowered
- Acebrophylline should not be used with CNS stimulating drugs
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming
- You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
10Shows Effects / Results In
The time taken for Acebrophylline to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use. It has been usually found to be 1-2 hours.
11Storage Requirements for Acebrophylline
Acebrophylline must always be stored away from direct light & heat, in a cool and dry environment. The room temperature must be between 15-30° C.
12Pro Tips When Taking Acebrophylline –
- Acebrophylline is not effective in case of a sudden attack of asthma or wheezing
- It is advisable to consume the drug during evening time in order to safeguard yourself from aggravating symptoms of asthma while sleeping at night
- Acebrophylline is not as effective as steroid inhalers are but taking Acebrophylline will ensure that consumption of steroid inhalers becomes half
- Always give accurate medical history to your physician about the history of heart, kidney or liver diseases, thyroid gland disorders, GI disorders or diseases of the brain
- Always inform your physician if you have a history of any type of seizure disorders
- Always inform your physician about your smoking habit
- Caffeine intake should be limited while consuming Acebrophylline as it may aggravate certain side effects
Also Read in Hindi: About Acebrophylline
Is Acebrophylline Addictive?
Can I have Acebrophylline with alcohol?
The interaction of Acebrophylline with alcohol is not known. Please inform your physician before consuming alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Tobacco and marijuana must be avoided while consuming Acebrophylline. The risk of undesirable effects is high even with passive smoking.
Can I have Acebrophylline When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Acebrophylline is not suggested for use by pregnant women.
Can I have Acebrophylline when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child. Acebrophylline is not recommended for use by women who are breastfeeding a child.
Can I drive after taking Acebrophylline?
It might not be safe to drive after consuming Acebrophylline if you experience a headache, dizziness, low blood pressure or drowsiness as side-effects.
What happens if I overdose on Acebrophylline?
An overdose of Acebrophylline can cause poisoning or severe side-effects. If you have taken an overdose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Acebrophylline?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Acebrophylline to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Acebrophylline?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.