Table of Contents
- What is Acetaminophen?
- Uses of Acetaminophen
- How does Acetaminophen work?
- How to take Acetaminophen?
- Acetaminophen Price In India
- Common Dosage for Acetaminophen
- When to avoid Acetaminophen?
- Precautions when taking Acetaminophen
- Side Effects of Acetaminophen
- Effect of Acetaminophen on organs
- Storage Requirements for Acetaminophen
- Pro Tips When Taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Is Acetaminophen addictive?
- Can I have Acetaminophen (Tylenol) with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Acetaminophen (Tylenol) when pregnant?
- Can I have Acetaminophen when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Acetaminophen?
- What happens if I overdose on Acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
- What happens if I eat expired Acetaminophen?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
What is Acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol (PCM) is a painkiller. It has excellent analgesic and antipyretic activity, with an unknown mechanism of action. Acetaminophen compared to NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) has:
- Little anti-inflammatory action
- No antiplatelet action
- Not bronchospastic
- Minimal effects on the gastrointestinal tract, particularly with regard to ulcers.
Other variants and composition –
|Tylenol 650Mg Tablet||Acetaminophen 650 MG|
|Tylenol 500Mg Tablet||Paracetamol 500 MG|
|Tylenol 100S Tablet||Acetaminophen 250 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Coupon | Netmeds Offers Today
Uses of Acetaminophen
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is used in the treatment of:
- Instead of Aspirin to avoid Reye syndrome in children with a viral infection.
- A headache,
- muscle ache,
- a backache,
- toothaches and
Also read about other medicine Uses: Januvia Uses
How does Acetaminophen work?
The function of Acetaminophen is unknown. It works on blocking the release of chemicals which signals the pain sensation in the brain.
How to take Acetaminophen?
- Acetaminophen can be taken with a glass of water.
- Use Acetaminophen exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Acetaminophen which is in liquid form should be taken only after shaking the bottle.
- Place the tablet on your tongue and don’t swallow it right away.
Acetaminophen Price In India
|500mg Strip of 50 Tablets||Rs 24.50|
Also read about other medicine Price: Baclofen Price
Common Dosage for Acetaminophen
- Children should not take more than 5 doses in 24 hours.
- Adults should take maximum 4000 mg in 24 hours.
When to avoid Acetaminophen?
- Avoid using other medicines that contain Acetaminophen, or you could have a fatal overdose.
- Before using any other cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication it is advised to consult your doctor.
- Ketoconazole can interact with Acetaminophen.
- Warfarin increases the blood thinning process, thus Acetaminophen should be avoided with Warfarin.
Precautions when taking Acetaminophen
- Avoid using other medicines that contain Acetaminophen.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history(if any), especially of liver disease, regular use/abuse of alcohol.
- Taking too much Acetaminophen can cause liver damage.
Side Effects of Acetaminophen
Some of the reported side effects of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) are:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling in the eyes, lips, throat.
- Skin rashes(Rare)
Also Read: Albuterol Side Effect | Amitriptyline Side Effect
Effect of Acetaminophen on organs
If you take more than the recommended dose of 4 grams of Acetaminophen per day, liver damage can take place. This can attach to liver proteins, causing damage to the liver cells.
Storage Requirements for Acetaminophen
- Keep Acetaminophen in a dry place away from heat and moisture.
- Keep it away from the reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Acetaminophen can cause unusual results with certain lab tests for glucose (sugar) in the urine.
- Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Acetaminophen.
Is Acetaminophen addictive?
Acetaminophen is not addictive but larger doses may cause rebound headaches due to the withdrawal of the medicine.
Can I have Acetaminophen (Tylenol) with alcohol?
If you take more than 3 alcoholic drinks a day, you are not supposed to take Acetaminophen.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
Can I have Acetaminophen (Tylenol) when pregnant?
Before taking Acetaminophen it is advised to consult your doctor.
Can I have Acetaminophen when feeding a baby?
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can pass into the breast milk and may harm a nursing baby.
Can I drive after taking Acetaminophen?
Taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol) while driving is safe.
What happens if I overdose on Acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
An overdose of Acetaminophen can damage your liver or cause death.
What happens if I eat expired Acetaminophen?
Depends on the time duration. Best is to avoid taking expired Acetaminophen.
What happens if I miss a dose of Acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.