Table of Contents
- What is Acitrom?
- Uses of Acitrom
- How does Acitrom work?
- How to take Acitrom?
- Common Dosage for Acitrom
- When to Avoid Acitrom?
- Precautions While Taking Acitrom:
- Side-Effects of Acitrom:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Acitrom Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Acitrom
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Acitrom
- Authored By –
1What is Acitrom?
It is a medicine which is used for prevention of heart problems like stroke and cardiac arrest due to its blood thinning (anticoagulant) property. Easy bleeding through skin, intestine and stomach at repetitive high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of bleeding disorders, Liver diseases and prior to surgical procedures.
Acitrom Composition: Nicoumalone 1mg
Manufactured By: Abbott.
Price: Rs.199.14 for 30 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Anticoagulant
2Uses of Acitrom
Acitrom serves as an anticoagulant (blood thinner). It is used for the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Myocardial Infarction: Used in cases of myocardial infarction to improve the blocked blood flow to the heart muscles.
- Refractory Ischemia: Used in cases of Refractory Ischemia as it increases the physical activity through thinning the blood and increasing its flow
- Unstable Angina: Used to prevent or treat unstable angina.
- DVT: Used in cases of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
- Pulmonary embolism: Used to treat pulmonary embolism.
You may also read: Albendazole Uses | Alex Cough Syrup Uses
3How does Acitrom work?
- Acitrom contains Nicoumalone as its main active ingredient.
- Nicoumalone works by inhibiting the Vitamin K reduction and interferes with the functioning of Vitamin K dependent clotting factors.
- Thus, it prevents clot formation and acts as an anticoagulant.
4How to take Acitrom?
- Acitrom is usually available in tablet form.
- Tablets are usually administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food instead of empty stomach as acidic contents of the empty stomach may affect the pharmacological activity of the tablet and can even affect the stomach adversely.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Acitrom at a fixed time preferably at night.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Acitrom
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The most common dose of Acitrom 1mg is one single tablet a day in cases of heart conditions like unstable angina.
- It is not advisable to administer Acitrom in children below 16 years of age unless stated by the doctor.
- The dose should not be altered without medical consultation; dose should be gradually reduced as per the doctor’s advice in case of improvement in patient’s health.
You may also read: Paracetamol Dosage | Acemiz Plus Dosage
Q. What happens if I overdose on Acitrom?
Overdose of Acitrom can increase the chances of serious side effects. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Acitrom overdose and gastric emptying (gastric lavage) is to be performed as a treatment measure.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Acitrom?
Acitrom may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Acitrom should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Acitrom?
A single dose of expired Acitrom is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Acitrom?
Acitrom Tablets reaches its peak effect in about 1-3 hours after oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Acitrom stay?
It is advised to keep a time interval between two doses of Acitrom.
6When to Avoid Acitrom?
Do not Consume Acitrom Tablets:
- High Blood Pressure: In known cases of Hypertension as Acitrom can lead to sodium and water retention and can further lead to increased blood pressure.
- Gastric Problems: In known cases or history of stomach or intestinal ulcer, as Acitrom can lead to increased risk of bleeding in the stomach.
- Liver/kidney Diseases: In cases of past or current condition of Liver, kidney problems or diseases.
- Blood Disorders: In cases of blood disorders like Hemophilia, where blood does not clot easily, platelet count deficiency.
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy, especially during the last three months as it can lead to bleeding.
- Gout: In cases of present condition or history of Gout.
- Pre operative cases: In cases, where surgery is scheduled, Acitrom should be avoided in such cases.
- Others: In cases like thyroid disorder, vitamin k deficiency, increased cholesterol levels.
You may also read: Acebrophylline Side Effects
7Precautions While Taking Acitrom:
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Acitrom empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Acitrom should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 6-8 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Acitrom
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to Gastric bleeding and liver damage.
- Acitrom is not advisable in bleeding disorders.
- Avoid getting injured or bruised to minimize chances of bleeding.
- Vitamin K is an antidote for Acitrom tablets and can be administered via mouth or in the form of injections.
8Side-Effects of Acitrom:
The side effects associated with Acitrom Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Bleeding through the skin, abdominal and intestinal bleeding and bleeding in vomit, gums, and nose. (rare)
- Increased heart rate (Common)
- Lowered Blood Pressure (less Common)
- Dizziness (less Common)
- Vomiting (Common)
- Diarrhoea (Common)
- Abdominal pain (less Common)
- Drowsiness (Common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Acitrom?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Acitrom tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less comon)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
What are the effects of Acitrom tablets on organs?
- Acitrom affects the liver and kidney directly and therefore, it is advised to consult the doctor and consume Acitrom only after medical consultation to protect the liver and kidney from any potential damage.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Acitrom. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Acitrom. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Acitrom
Cranberry or cranberry juice should be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Acitrom
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Mifepristone: a drug used to terminate the pregnancy and if taken with Acitrom, can be proven less effective. (mild)
- Metoclopramide: a drug used to treat nausea and vomiting can lead to increased effects of Acitrom if taken concomitantly. (mild)
- Absorbents or Antacids like Aluminium hydroxide can reduce the effects of Acitrom. (mild)
- Antidepressants like Citalopram or Fluoxetine.
- Sibutramine (a drug for weight loss)
- Valsartan or Losartan (antihypertensive)
- Phenytoin and Valproate (antiepileptic): Acitrom can increase the effects of these drugs.
- Zafirlukast (used to treat asthma)
3. Effects of Acitrom on Lab Tests
Acitrom affects the CBC (complete blood count), INR, blood clotting tests and liver panel tests.
4. Acitrom ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases, gastric ulcers or bleeding disorder like Hemophilia.
Q. Can I have Acitrom with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects when Acitrom is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Acitrom.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Cranberry products or juices should be avoided.
Q. Can I have Acitrom when pregnant?
No, Acitrom should be avoided during pregnancy especially in the third trimester that is near the term of pregnancy as it may lead to bleeding. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Acitrom when feeding a baby?
No, as Acitrom is not recommended in lactating mothers and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Acitrom?
Yes, as Acitrom does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Acitrom.
10Buyer’s Guide – Acitrom Composition, Variant and Price
|Acitrom 2mg Tablet||Nicoumalone 2mg||Rs. 311.90 for 30 tablets|
|Acitrom 3mg Tablet||Nicoumalone 3mg||Rs. 398.17 for 30 tablets|
|Acitrom 4mg Tablet||Nicoumalone 4mg||Rs. 424.76 for 30 tablets|
|Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet||Nicoumalone 0.5mg||Rs. 47.70 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Upto 20% Off - 1mg - Netmeds - Myra Medicines
11Substitutes of Acitrom
The following are alternative drugs for Acitrom:
- Artiflo 1mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Zuventus Healthcare Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 49.69
- Acenomac 1mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 33.75
- Aceno 1mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Zydus Healthcare Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 41.25
Storage requirements for Acitrom Tablets
- Acitrom Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Acitrom
Q. What is Acitrom?
Ans. Acitrom is a solo drug containing Nicoumalone as its main ingredient.
It serves purpose as it has got anti coagulative (blood thinning) properties. It is used mostly to prevent or treat unstable angina or stroke.
Q. How long does it take for Acitrom to show results?
Ans. Acitrom shows its affect in 1-3 hours of administration of drug.
Q. Should Acitrom be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Acitrom should not be taken empty stomach as it may cause stomach irritation and bleeding in few cases when taken on empty stomach.
Q. Does Acitrom make you drowsy?
Ans. Acitrom might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Acitrom Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 6-8 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Acitrom toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Acitrom, when taken for heart problems due to its anticoagulant property, should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Acitrom.
Q. Does Acitrom effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can affect the menstrual cycle as it can lead to easy and prolonged bleeding. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Acitrom safe for children?
Ans. Acitrom in not safe and is not advised to administer to children below 16 years of age. Therefore, Paediatrician should always be consulted in such cases.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Acitrom?
Ans. Any bleeding disorder, Gastric irritation and liver problems are to be taken into consideration before taking Acitrom
Q. Is Acitrom legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –