Table of Contents
What Is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is a vegetable oil that is produced by cold pressing the seeds of the Ricinus Communis plant. Each year, 600-800 million pounds of castor oil is produced for a variety of uses. There are many benefits of Castor oil. It contains ricinoleic acid which makes Castor oil so beneficial.
Learn About: Benefits of Neem Oil For Acne
Properties Of Castor Oil
Castor oil and ricinoleic acid have anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is great for treating irritated skin.
Antimicrobial properties may protect the skin from bacterial infections.
Castor oil has triglycerides which contain moisture in the skin. It is ideal for treating dry skin. Check out all the benefits of Castor oil for skin
Castor oil has humectant properties. This means that it draws moisture from the air into the skin, keeping your skin hydrated.
Triglycerides in castor oil also help remove everyday dirt from the skin. This helps cleanse your skin and give you a clear look
Benefits Of Castor Oil For Acne
- Excess oil is a primary cause of acne. Castor oil has essential fatty acids that prevent excess oil (sebum) production and prevents acne
- Castor oil has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that prevent breakouts
- Ricinoleic acid in castor oil fights off acne producing bacteria
- Castor oil penetrates deep into your pores to clean them. It also removes dead skin cells and other impurities which cause acne
This Might Interest You: Castor Oil Benefits For Your Face
Side Effects And Precautions
- Do not use castor oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- It has an oily consistency, so avoid using it around your eyes
- Castor oil can stain your clothing
- Avoid using it around your mouth. Consuming it can cause diarrhea
- It may cause rashes or skin inflammation. Consult a doctor or administer a patch test before applying it on your face
There are many benefits of Castor for eyebrows as well. However, some precautions must be taken. Be careful when you apply Castor oil on your eyebrowns.
How To Use Castor Oil For Fighting Acne Scars
The most popular way to use castor oil for fighting acne is by applying it topically. Take a cotton ball and put a few drops of castor oil in it. Then gently massage your skin in a circular motion. It is best used when applied overnight.
Also Read: Benefits of Coconut Oil For Acne
Homemade Castor Oil Recipes
There are various other methods of applying castor oil that prevent acne. Here are some homemade recipes for you to try.
1. Steam And Castor Oil
- Take a boiling pot of water
- Place a towel over your head
- Let the steam open up your pores
- Apply castor oil on acne infected area
- Leave it overnight
- Clean the oil with a damp towel in the morning
2. Baking Soda And Castor Oil
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and castor oil
- Prepare a paste by mixing both
- Cleanse your face and pat it dry
- Apply the paste on acne infected areas
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water
Baking soda has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that discourage breakouts.
3. Turmeric (Haldi) And Castor Oil
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric
- Mix it well with a ½ teaspoon of castor oil
- Clean your face and pat it dry
- Apply the paste
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes
- Clean it off with cold water
Turmeric has antibacterial, antiseptic anti-inflammatory properties that kill acne-producing bacteria. You can also read out article on how to apply Castor oil to learn how to use it effectively.
11 Important Questions About Castor Oil Answered
Is Castor oil effective for removal of acne and acne scars?
Yes, Castor oil is a useful remedy for the treatment of acne and acne scars. It contains essential fatty acids such as Ricinoleic acid that prevent the production of excess oil. It has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties that help in the prevention of acne.
How long does it take for Castor oil to clear acne?
It is advisable to apply Castor oil twice a day for about 30 days to experience the benefits of this oil on acne and acne scars.
Does Jamaican Black Castor oil treat facial acne?
Yes, Jamaican Black Castor oil is a natural and effective treatment for the removal of acne. It contains omega-9 fatty acids that are useful in curing acne.
Is the use of Castor oil safe for the treatment of acne in case of oily skin?
It is not recommended to use Castor oil if you have an oily skin. It will increase the amount of oil on your skin, thereby promoting acne.
Can I mix Coconut oil and Castor oil to get rid of pigmentation and acne marks?
No, you must not mix coconut oil and castor oil for removing pigmentation and acne marks. This combination is good for hydrating the skin but does not serve the purpose of reducing acne marks.
Which oil is best for clogged normal acne prone skin- Jojoba, Castor, Hemp seed, or Argan oil?
Jojoba, Castor, Hemp seed, and Argan oil are equally effective in the treatment of acne prone skin. They help to balance the sebum production of the skin, thus preventing excess oil and acne.
Can Castor oil cause acne?
No, Castor oil is an effective remedy for the treatment of acne and does not contribute in the growth of acne.
Which essential oil can help to get rid of pimples? Which oil is best for acne?
Castor oil, lavender oil, and tea tree oil can be used for curing acne. They comprise of natural ingredients and essential acids, useful in fighting pimples and acne.
Can I leave Castor oil on my face overnight?
Yes, there is no harm in applying Castor oil overnight. It is actually a useful therapy for the reduction of acne and acne scars on the face.
Is Castor oil safe for acne prone skin?
Yes, Castor oil is used for curing an acne prone skin. Due to the presence of essential fatty acids in Castor oil, it is able to heal the various skin ailments.
Does Castor oil lighten acne scars?
Yes, Castor oil is extremely helpful in the treatment of acne scars. It penetrates deep into the skin to remove the dead skin cells, dust, and impurities.