Skip to Content
- What is Actifed?
- Uses of Actifed
- Actifed Composition
- How does Actifed work?
- Actifed Price in India
- How to take Actifed?
- Common dosage of Actifed
- When to avoid Actifed & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Actifed
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Actifed
- Pro Tips when taking Actifed
- Is Actifed addictive?
- Can I have Actifed with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Actifed when pregnant?
- Can I have Actifed when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Actifed?
- What happens if I overdose on Actifed?
- What happens if I eat expired Actifed?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Actifed?
- Similar Reads
What is Actifed?
- Actifed is a combination drug including antihistamine and nasal decongestant.
- Actifed is used to temporarily relieve symptoms caused by the common cold, flu, allergies, or other breathing illnesses.
Uses of Actifed
Actifed is prescribed for:
- Stuffy nose
- Allergic symptoms
Know more: Colospa Uses
How does Actifed work?
- Antihistamine in Actifed helps relieve watery eyes, itchy eyes, nose, throat, runny nose, and sneezing.
- While decongestant helps to relieve stuffy nose and ear congestion symptoms.
Actifed Price in India
|Specific||Actifed Price in India|
|Actifed 25 mg/2.5 mg Tablet||Rs. 6.5|
Also check out: Belar Price
How to take Actifed?
- Actifed is administered orally in the form of a tablet, with or without food.
Common dosage of Actifed
- The recommended dose for adults is 2.5 mg, every 4-6 hours. The maximum dose of this medicine should not exceed 10 mg per day.
When to avoid Actifed & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Actifed if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Actifed is not recommended for use in children under 6 years of age.
- Contraindicated for use in newborns, asthma patients, breastfeeding women.
- Caution should be exercised in patients with a history of glaucoma, urinary retention, and enlargement of prostate, epilepsy and in elderly patients.
Know more: Avva Precaution
Side Effects of Actifed
- Fast or uneven heartbeats
- Feeling light-headed
- Loss of appetite
Effect on organs?
- Cardiovascular reactions- Low blood pressure, headache, palpitations, fast heart rate, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Hematological reactions- Anaemia, decrease in white blood cells.
- Central nervous system reactions- Fatigue, confusion, restlessness, anxiety, nervousness, tremor, blurred vision, vertigo, tinnitus, convulsions, depression, and hallucination.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Indigestion, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation.
- Genitourinary reactions- Urinary frequency, difficult urination, urinary retention, early menses.
- Respiratory reactions- Thickening of bronchial secretions, tightness of chest and wheezing, nasal stuffiness, respiratory depression.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Beta-blockers (acebutolol, atenolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, metoprolol, nadolol, penbutolol)
- Barbiturate (amobarbital, butabarbital, mephobarbital, secobarbital)
- Actifed acts on alpha receptors which blood vessels to contract and narrow, thereby decreasing blood flow into the linings of the nose and sinuses.
- It also results in preventing the actions of histamine which reduces the production of mucus in the nose.
Storage Requirements for Actifed
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store at temperature 15-30.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Actifed
- Do not take more than 4 doses of Actifed in 24 hours.
- Do not consume alcohol while receiving Actifed.
Is Actifed addictive?
Can I have Actifed with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Actifed when pregnant?
- Yes; only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Actifed when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Actifed?
What happens if I overdose on Actifed?
- An overdose of Actifed may cause irregular heartbeat, hallucinations, fainting, and seizures.
What happens if I eat expired Actifed?
- Expired Actifed may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use the expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Actifed?
- If you miss a dose of Actifed, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.