Table of Contents
What is Ajwain?
Ajwain, Bishop’s weed or carom originated in India. This seed like fruit has a pungent taste and is widely used in Indian cooking as well as a remedy for stomach ache or acidity. It is traditionally used as medicine for various stomach disorders, as a detox and cleanser.
Is it safe?
Consumption of Ajwain is completely safe for acidity, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhoea, colic and even menstrual pain. It is a natural and effective method to counter stomach issues. Ajwain contains Thymol as an active ingredient which stimulates the stomach to release gastric juices and maintain normal pH levels. It helps in lowering the reflux of stomach acids providing instant relief.
Ajwain also eases any burning sensation and increases appetite as it is rich in fibre, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants as said by Ayurvedic expert Dr. B.N. Sinha, MD and Ayurveda Doctor of Philosophy.
Benefits of Ajwain
- Provides relief from acidity and indigestion
- Treats gas and colic
- Can be an effective cure for menstrual pain
Other Benefits of Ajwain on health
- Treats common cold
- Remedy for ear and toothache
- Reduces premature greying of hair
- Acts as a mosquito repellent
- Lightens acne marks and is a good cleanser
Ways to Use Ajwain
- Ajwain can be chewed raw or added to water or tea
- It can be added to enhance flavour of food
- One teaspoon of Ajwain with a pinch of black salt treats acidity and hyperacidity
- Boil 1 teaspoon of Ajwain in 1 cup of water for 3 – 4 minutes. Strain and let it cool. Consume this water to cure acidity
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Ajwain with cumin seeds. Add some dry ginger powder and consume it to cure acid reflux
- 1 teaspoon of carom seeds or Ajwain can be consumed along with a pinch of black salt to get relief from bloating and gas
The potency of Ajwain is hot, if taken in excess it can aggravate issues and have opposite effects. It must be avoided if you are struggling with a stomach ulcer, internal bleeding, and mouth ulcers. Also, consumption of Ajwain should be avoided in constipation as it may cause more dryness and hard stool.