Table of Contents
- What is Albendazole?
- Uses of Albendazole
- Albendazole Price in India
- How to Take Albendazole?
- Common Dosage for Albendazole?
- Precautions – When To Avoid Albendazole?
- Side-effects of Albendazole?
- What Are The Effects of Albendazole on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage Requirements for Albendazole
- When Was Albendazole Made?
- Pro Tips When Taking Albendazole
- Is Albendazole Addictive?
- Can I have Albendazole with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Albendazole When Pregnant?
- Can I have Albendazole when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Albendazole?
- What happens if I overdose on Albendazole?
- What happens if I eat expired Albendazole?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Albendazole?
Albendazole Composition – Albendazole 400 MG
Manufactured By – Karnataka Antibiotics And Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 10.25
Quantity – 1 Tablet in 1 strip
What is Albendazole?
Belongs to a group of drugs called Anthelmintic. Anthelmintics kill or expel infesting helminths (parasitic worms). Albendazole acts on the microtubular protein of the parasite thereby attaching with the parasite with high affinity and inhibiting its growth or destroying it without causing any damage to the human body.
Here is a video that summarizes the uses, side effects and precautions for Albendazole. You can scroll down further to read everything in detail.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Albendazole in Hindi
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off - Use Medlife Coupon Code - PharmEasy Coupon Code
Uses of Albendazole
Albendazole is the drug of choice for infections caused by hookworms, pinworms, roundworms, tapeworms, hydatid disease etc.
You may also read: Alex Cough Syrup Uses | Allegra Uses
Albendazole Price in India
|400 mg Strip of 1 Tablets||Rs 12.00|
How to Take Albendazole?
Albendazole tablet when administered orally helps absorption. Drug absorption can be further enhanced when administered with a fatty meal. No preparation or post drug fasting/ purging is required. While treating young children, tablets can be crushed beforehand and made to swallow with plenty of water. The dosage of albendazole varies with the weight of the patient and the type of parasitic infection being treated.
Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case there is no improvement or symptoms get worse, seek medical help immediately. If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this drug.
Common Dosage for Albendazole?
- Ascaris, hookworm, Enterobius and Trichuris: a single dose of 400 mg (for adults and children above 2 years, 200 mg for children between 1–2 years of age)
- Neurocysticercosis: Albendazole is the anthelmintic of choice for the treatment of Neurocysticercosis. Usually 8–15 days course of 400 mg BD (15 mg/kg/day) is employed.
- Tapeworms and strongyloidiasis: 400 mg daily for 3 consecutive days.
- Hydatid disease: 400 mg BD for 4 weeks, repeat after 2 weeks (if required), up to 3 courses. It is the preferred treatment given pre and post-surgery.
You may also read: Acitrom Dosage
Precautions – When To Avoid Albendazole?
Albendazole should not be used:
- If you are allergic to any of its components
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding (consult your physician in such case)
- In patients with severe liver disease (consult your physician in such case)
- In patients with moderate to severe kidney dysfunction (consult your physician in such case)
- In severe alcoholics
- In patients suffering from bone marrow suppression
Also Read about: Acebrophylline
Side-effects of Albendazole?
Commonly observed side effects may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Temporary loss of hair
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Vision changes
- Severe abdominal pain
- Yellowing of eyes/skin
- Dark colored urine
- General feeling of tiredness
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
What Are The Effects of Albendazole on Organs?
This medication may cause liver problems. Patients with pre-existing liver diseases or patients who are alcoholics should take this medication under the supervision of a doctor and with great caution.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Allergy to Albendazole is rare and may exhibit the following symptoms: rash; itching; shortness of breath; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that you inform your physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. Albendazole may interact with the following drugs and products.
Interaction of drugs with each other may change how both the medicines work or may increase your risk for potential adverse reactions with these drugs –
Shows Effects / Results In
You should start to feel like you have recovered during the first few days of treatment with albendazole. A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of symptoms.
Storage Requirements for Albendazole
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
When Was Albendazole Made?
Albendazole was invented by Robert J. Gyurik and Vassilios J. Theodorides and was patented in 1975. It was introduced in 1977 as an antihelminthic for sheep in Australia, and in 1992 was registered for human use for the first time.
Pro Tips When Taking Albendazole
- Albendazole should always be taken along with meal rich in fat which may help in faster absorption.
- If the patient is already taking anti-epileptic (anti-seizure drugs) and corticosteroids, then this medicine should be used with caution.
- Albendazole can weaken your immune system. Frequent blood tests may be necessary to check your health status.
Is Albendazole Addictive?
Can I have Albendazole with alcohol?
Interaction of Albendazole with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Take Albendazole with meals especially with food rich in fat as it will help in better absorption of the drug. Avoid taking on an empty stomach.
Can I have Albendazole When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Albendazole is not recommended to use during pregnancy as it is supposed to cause harm to the developing fetus. Doctors may advise you to have a negative pregnancy test before you can start taking this medicine.
Can I have Albendazole when feeding a baby?
Albendazole is not secreted in the breast milk. Still, this medicine should not be used without consent from a doctor if you are breastfeeding your infant.
Can I drive after taking Albendazole?
Few patients might exhibit little drowsiness after administration of albendazole. So, it should be used with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Albendazole?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. Symptoms of overdosage include confusion, fainting, and difficulty in breathing. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Albendazole?
The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Albendazole?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.