Aldactone Composition – Spironolactone (25mg)
Manufactured By – Rpg Life Sciences Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 30
Quantity – 15 tablets in 1 strip
What is Aldactone?
- Aldactone belongs to the class of medications known as diuretics or water pills.
- It is used to control edema that occurs with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and nephrotic syndrome.
- It is also used to control high blood pressure and to diagnose and treat primary hyperaldosteronism.
Checkout some of the offers: PharmEasy offers | Myra Medicines offers | 1mg offers
Uses of Aldactone
Aldactone is prescribed for:
- Primary Hyperaldosteronism
- Congestive Heart Failure
Also Know: Anafranil Uses | Azro Uses
How does Aldactone work?
- Aldactone acts primarily through competitive binding of receptors at the aldosterone-dependent sodium-potassium exchange site in the distal convoluted renal tubule.
- This drug causes increased amounts of sodium and water to be excreted, while potassium is retained.
- It acts both as a diuretic and as an antihypertensive drug by this mechanism and maybe given alone or with other diuretic agents that act more proximally in the renal tubule.
Read About: Acetazoamide | Argipreg Sachet
Aldactone Price in India
|Specifics||Aldactone Price in India|
|Aldactone 100 Tablet||Rs.158.95|
|Aldactone 50mg Tablet||Rs.59.75|
Also Check: Atenolol Price
How to take Aldactone?
- Aldactone is administered orally in the form of tablets.
- Aldactone is usually taken once daily, preferably in the daytime to prevent sleep disturbances.
Know About: Azo Composition
Common dosage of Aldactone
The recommended dose range is 50 to 400mg per day for 3 to 4 weeks.
Read About: Antacid Dosage
When to avoid Aldactone & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Aldactone if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Aldactone is not recommended in patients with a condition called Anuria.
- This drug will increase the potassium levels in the blood. Thus, it is advised to avoid potassium-rich foods (potatoes, banana) and medicines that can increase the potassium levels (ACE inhibitors and potassium supplements).
- Aldactone is not recommended in patients with diabetes due to increase in the potassium levels and increases the risk of irregular heart rhythm.
- Patients with electrolytes imbalance and impaired kidney function are not recommended to use this medicine.
- Consumption of alcohol can increase certain side effects of Aldactone drug.
- Do not use salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium as these products can cause potassium levels to get too high while taking Aldactone.
- Avoid a diet high in salt as this can cause the body to retain water and can make this medication less effective.
Read About: Belar Precaution | Alce Precaution
Side Effects of Aldactone
- Stomach pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Skin rash
- Leg cramps
- Breast pain
- Hair loss
Effect on organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Gastric bleeding, ulceration, stomach inflammation, diarrhea, cramping, nausea and vomiting.
- Genitourinary reactions- Breast enlargement in male, absence of menstrual period, painful erection, irregular periods, breast cancer, kidney impairment and postmenopausal bleeding.
- Hematological reactions- Decrease in blood counts.
- Metabolic reactions- Elevated blood potassium level.
- Central nervous system reactions- Mental confusion, incoordination, headache, drowsiness and lethargy.
- Hepatic reactions- Liver damage.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Following drugs are not recommended for use along with Aldactone:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI’s)
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 to 4 hours and usually lasts for an average duration of 2 to 3 days.
Storage Requirements for Aldactone
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store it at 25°C room temperature.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Aldactone
- Aldactone may impair thinking or mental alertness. Be careful while driving or doing any other activity.
- Drink plenty amount of water to avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather.
Is Aldactone addictive?
Can I have Aldactone with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid potassium-rich foods like banana, potatoes etc.
Can I have Aldactone when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I have Aldactone when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Aldactone?
What happens if I overdose on Aldactone?
Overdose of Aldactone may cause drowsiness, mental confusion, maculopapular or erythematous rash, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or diarrhea.
What happens if I eat expired Aldactone?
Expired Aldactone may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Aldactone?
If you miss a dose of Aldactone, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.