Table of Contents
- 1 What is Alex Cough Syrup?
- 2 Uses of Alex Cough Syrup
- 3 How does Alex Cough Syrup work?
- 4 How to take Alex Cough Syrup?
- 5 Alex Cough Syrup Dosage
- 6 When to Avoid Alex Cough Syrup?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Alex Cough Syrup:
- 8 Side-Effects of Alex Cough Syrup
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Alex Cough Syrup
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Alex Cough Syrup
- 9.3 3. Effects of Alex Cough Syrup on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Alex Cough Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Alex Cough Syrup?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Alex Cough Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Alex Cough Syrup
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Alex Cough Syrup
- 12.1 Q. What is Alex Cough Syrup?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Alex Cough Syrup to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Alex Cough Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Alex Cough Syrup make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Alex Cough Syrup doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Alex Cough Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Alex Cough Syrup safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Alex Cough Syrup?
- 12.10 Q. Is Alex Cough Syrup legal in India?
- 13 Similar Reads
- 14 Authored by-
What is Alex Cough Syrup?
Used mainly to treat different kind of allergic symptoms like congestion of chest, common cold, acute sore throat stuffy nose due to Respiratory tract infection and allergy. Dry mouth and Fatigue are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney diseases and allergic reactions.
Alex Cough Syrup Composition: Dextromethorphan 10mg + Guaifenesin 100mg + Phenylephrine 5mg + Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg.
Manufactured By: Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC
Price: Rs 97 for 100ml bottle.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiallergic + Decongestant
Uses of Alex Cough Syrup
Alex Cough Syrup serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Allergy: Used for symptomatic relief of allergy
- Common cold: Used to provide symptomatic relief in cases of common cold.
- Cough: Used to manage cough.
- Stuffy nose: Used to provide relief in case of stuffy nose.
- Chest congestion: Used to manage congestion of chest.
All the above-mentioned symptoms are managed with Alex cough Syrup and are caused by conditions like respiratory tract infection and bronchitis.
You may also read: Allegra Uses | Alprax Uses
How does Alex Cough Syrup work?
- Alex LS syrup contains Dextromethorphan which helps in the suppression of cough.
- Guaifenesin in Alex LS is an expectorant which helps to increase bronchial secretion.
- It reduces the viscosity and facilitates removal of mucus through coughing.
- Phenylephrine is a nasal decongestant and works by removing the nasal blockage.
- Chlorpheniramine is antihistamine and works by blocking nasal secretions and providing relief from a runny nose.
How to take Alex Cough Syrup?
- Alex Cough Syrup is usually available in Syrup form.
- Alex Cough Syrup can be taken with or without water as advised by the physician at a fixed time.
- Shake the bottle well before consuming the drug and always use a measuring cup to consume advised dose.
- Alex Cough Syrup should be accompanied by plenty of fluids to aid mucus removal.
- Complete dose/therapy as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Alex Cough Syrup Dosage
Alex Cough Syrup dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per:
- Age-Weight,-Mental status-Allergic history and-Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose 5-10ml of Syrup daily in 2-3 divided doses, unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Consult a pediatrician before administering to children below 2 years of age
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Pack insert should be read thoroughly if using Alex Cough Syrup as an Over the counter drug.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Alex Cough Syrup?
An overdose of Alex Cough Syrup can cause adverse effects so, the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Alex Cough Syrup overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Alex Cough Syrup?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Alex Cough Syrup?
The expired dose of Alex Cough Syrup is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Alex Cough Syrup and till when does the effect of Alex Cough Syrup stay?
- Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered within the first few days of therapy.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
You may also read: Aceclofenac Dosage | Albendazole Dosage
When to Avoid Alex Cough Syrup?
Do not Consume Alex Cough Syrup if:
- Liver or Kidney disease: In cases of a known history of kidney/hepatic dysfunction or any severe active liver disease.
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to any of its constituents
- Underage: In cases of children below 4 years of age.
- Nursing mothers: In cases of breastfeeding mothers
Precautions While Taking Alex Cough Syrup:
- Liver problems: The drug should be administered in patients with renal or liver disease with caution
- Water intake: One should take adequate amount of water while consuming Alex Cough Syrup as it may cause dry mouth.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Alex Cough Syrup
- The doctor should always be informed about any allergic history to any of its components.
- Always inform the doctor about any concomitant medication you are taking at the present time.
Side-Effects of Alex Cough Syrup
The side effects associated with Alex Cough Syrup are:
- Nausea (less common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
- Lightheadedness (common)
- Fatigue (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Alex Cough Syrup?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Alex Cough Syrup on organs?
Alex Cough Syrup is to be used with caution under expert’s supervision in patients with liver or kidney diseases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Alex Cough Syrup. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Alex Cough Syrup. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Alex Cough Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Alex Cough Syrup
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Amiodarone (mild)
- Antipsychotics (moderate)
- Other drugs for Cough and cold (moderate)
- Digoxin (moderate)
3. Effects of Alex Cough Syrup on Lab Tests
Alex Cough Syrup does not affect any laboratory test as such.
4. Alex Cough Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Alex Cough Syrup can increase the risk of side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, etc. Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup when pregnant?
No, it should be avoided in pregnancy and the doctor should always be informed if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Alex Cough Syrup when feeding a baby?
No, Alex Syrup should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers as the effects of its constituents on quantity and quality of milk production is unknown. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Alex Cough Syrup?
No, as it causes drowsiness in some cases. Therefore, if you experience side effects like drowsiness or dizziness, it is advisable not to drive or operate heavy machinery
You may also read: Aceclofenac Paracetamol Side Effects
Buyer’s Guide – Alex Cough Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
|Alex Cough Syrup Variants||Alex Cough Syrup Composition||Alex Cough Syrup Price|
|Alex lozenges Tablet||Dextromethorphan 5mg||Rs. 85 for 10 tablets.|
|Alex L 100ml Syrup||Levocloperastine 20mg + Levocloperastine fendizoate 35.4mg/5ml||Rs. 99 for 1 pack|
|Alex Junior 60ml Syrup||Chlorpheniramine maleate 2mg + Dextromethorphan 5mg/5ml||Rs. 80 for 1 pack|
|Alex P 15ml drops||Chlorpheniramine maleate 2mg + Phenylephrine 2.5mg + Paracetamol 125mg||Rs. 61 for 1 pack.|
Buy using Practo Coupons
Substitutes of Alex Cough Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Alex Cough Syrup:
- Chericof 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 63
- Ascoril D Plus 100ml syrup:
- Manufactured by – Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 105
- Cuflin D 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Hicure Biotech.
- Price – Rs. 52.5
- Flurelax D 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Medhivas Healthcare.
- Price – Rs. 89.90
Storage requirements for Alex Cough Syrup
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at the cool and dry place at a temperature of 15-30OC
- Do not freeze the medication.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Alex Cough Syrup
Q. What is Alex Cough Syrup?
Ans. Alex Cough Syrup is a fixed-dose combination drug which contains decongestants, antiallergics and cough suppressants as its main active ingredient. Alex Cough syrup is used to treat infectious and allergic symptoms and conditions like Common cold and cough etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Alex Cough Syrup to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered within the first 1-3 days of therapy.
Q. Should Alex Cough Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Alex Cough Syrup can be taken empty stomach but to prevent any potential stomach upset and to have better absorption, it should be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Alex Cough Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Alex Cough Syrup may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Alex Cough Syrup doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Alex Cough Syrup should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Alex Cough Syrup.
Q. Does Alex Cough Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Alex Cough Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Alex Cough Syrup is safe to be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken. Variants of the same drug are available for pediatric population.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Alex Cough Syrup?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Alex Cough Syrup.
Q. Is Alex Cough Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.