Table of Contents
- What is Alkacip Syrup?
- Uses of Alkacip Syrup
- How does Alkacip Syrup work?
- How to take Alkacip Syrup?
- Common Dosage for Alkacip Syrup
- When to Avoid Alkacip?
- Precautions While Taking Alkacip:
- Side-Effects of Alkacip:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Alkacip Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Alkacip
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Alkacip
- Authored by –
1What is Alkacip Syrup?
Used mainly to treat or neutralise the excess amount of acid present in blood and urine. Fatigue, tiredness and excessive urine production are the major side effects of Alkacip in high doses. Alkacip should never be used in cases of severe kidney disorders.
Alkacip Composition: Disodium hydrogen citrate 1.53 GM/ 5ML
Manufactured By: Cipla.
Prescription: Not required, available as over the counter drug (OTC)
Price: Rs. 63.80 for 100 ml Syrup.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Buffering agent.
2Uses of Alkacip Syrup
Alkacip is used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like:
- Renal Calculi: Used in cases of kidney stones (renal calculi).
- Acidosis: Used in cases of acidosis to neutralize the excess amount of acid.
- UTI: Used in cases of Urinary tract infection (UTIs) to treat burning micturition during urination.
- Gout: Used in cases of Gout as it decreases the chance of uric acid stones in a nascent stage of uricosuric therapy
- Antioxidant: Used as an antioxidant also.
3How does Alkacip Syrup work?
- Alkacip is composed of disodium hydrogen citrate which is a base.
- It acts like buffer inside the body and helps to remove or neutralize the excess acid inside the urine or blood
4How to take Alkacip Syrup?
- Alkacip is available in the form of Liquid or syrup, usually taken orally with a glass of water, with or after food.
- Take the syrup with or after food as it helps in better absorption of the drug.
- Evenly spaced time intervals between two doses should be maintained.
- The dose should not be altered in any form without the proper guidance of the doctor.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the drug package for better understanding about the Do’s and don’ts of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Alkacip Syrup
- The dosage of the drug can be decided by the doctor as per the: Weight, Age, The mental status of the patient, The severity of the condition being treated
- Usually recommended dose for an adult in case of kidney stone is 15-30ml syrup dissolved in water 2-3 times a day but it may vary depending on the case.
- Usually recommended dose for children is 5ml syrup dissolved in water 2-3 times a day but it may vary depending on the case.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Alkacip?
Overdose of any drug may increase the chances of serious side effects like diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach ache. Therefore, it is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose of the drug and immediately consult the medical team in case of any signs of a drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Alkacip?
One should consume the missed dose as soon as he/she remembers but try to avoid taking the missed dose if it’s time for the next dose as it may lead to drug overdose.
Missing a dose is not recommended and one should strictly adhere to the dosing schedule.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Alkacip?
A single dose of expired Alkacip is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Alkacip and till when does the effect of Alkacip stay?
- Alkacip takes time to show its effect.
- Onset of action and relief in symptoms vary with every patient and condition being treated.
- The patient may start to feel recovered within first few days with the Alkacip therapy.
- The dose and duration of drug as advised by the doctor, should be followed strictly for complete cessation of all the symptoms
6When to Avoid Alkacip?
Do not Consume Alkacip:
- Allergy: In cases of allergic history or present condition of allergy to Alkacip or any other drug of same class.
- Infection: It should be avoided in patients with severe bacterial infection
- Blood pressure and Kidney disorders: In cases of high BP, patients with high sodium levels in blood, decreased urine output, severe kidney disorders.
- Heart diseases: If know history of Congestive heart failure, heart disease is there.
- High potassium levels: In patients with high potassium levels.
7Precautions While Taking Alkacip:
- Allergic reaction: In case of any allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Dose Alteration: Don’t alter/Change the schedule of the dose as per your own convenience.
- Drug consumption: Alkacip should be taken preferably with or after food for better absorption.
Warnings When Taking Alkacip
- Shake the bottle of syrup well before use, for proper homogenous drug content.
- Always try to consume with or after food
- Don’t alter the dose without proper medical advice.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the package of the drug to have a better understanding about the drug.
8Side-Effects of Alkacip:
The common side effects associated with Alkacip used for different treatments are:
- stomach pain
- gas in the stomach
- excessive production of urine
- ulcers in the stomach
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Alkacip?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Alkacip are:
- Rashes on the skin (less common)
- Itchiness (less common)
- Rashes. (less common)
What are the effects of Alkacip on organs?
Alkacip should be used with caution and after proper medical consultation in cases of liver and kidney diseases.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
A patient should be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Alkacip. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Alkacip. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Alkacip Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Alkacip Syrup
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Steroid medications (mild)
- Methotrexate (Moderate)
- Ephedrine (mild)
- Amphetamines (mild)
- Potassium depleting diuretics (Moderate)
- Quinidine (mild)
- Salicylates (Moderate)
- Tetracyclines (Moderate)
3. Effects of Alkacip Syrup on Lab Tests
Kidney function lab tests are affected by Alkacip.
4. Alkacip’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
heart diseases and kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Alkacip with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects when Alkacip is taken with alcohol, as it can lead to increased risk of dehydration. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Alkacip.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, but it is advisable to consume lot of liquids like fruit juice or water.
Q. Can I have Alkacip when pregnant?
Alkacip should be consumed by pregnant women only if specified by the doctor. Therefore, always notify the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Alkacip when feeding a baby?
Risks and benefits of Alkacip should be discussed before administering it to lactating women. The doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Alkacip?
Yes, as Alkacip does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Alkacip.
10Buyer’s Guide – Alkacip Composition, Variant and Price
|Specifics||Alkacip Composition||Alkacip Price|
|Alkacip Syrup||Disodium Hydrogen Citrate (1.53gm/5ml)||Rs. 63.8|
11Substitutes of Alkacip
The following are alternative drugs for Alkacip:
- Alkakem Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 62
- Citralka Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Pfizer Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 71.65
- Adialka Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Cian Healthcare
- Price – Rs. 43
- Onestone Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Ontex Healthcare
- Price – Rs. 50
Storage requirements for Alkacip
- The drug should be stored below 25°C and should be kept in a cool, dry place and away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Keep the drug in a place, where it is out of reach of children.
- Do not freeze.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Alkacip
Q. What is Alkacip?
Ans. Alkacip is basically a neutralizing drug composed of disodium hydrogen citrate.It acts as a buffer and used mainly to treat or neutralize the excess amount of acid present in blood and urine.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Alkacip to show results?
Ans. Alkacip shows its effect in a few days of therapy.
Q. Should Alkacip be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, it is advisable to take the syrup with or after food as it helps in better absorption of the drug.
Q. Does Alkacip make you drowsy?
Ans. Alkacip may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Alkacip Tablets?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Alkacip toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Yes, it is necessary to complete the whole prescribed dose of Alkacip even if the symptoms disappear. One should never stop Alkacip without consulting with the doctor.
Q. Does Alkacip effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consults the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Alkacip safe for children?
Ans. Alkacip should not be administered to children unless recommended by the paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms/diseases that I should consider before taking Alkacip?
Ans. Any heart or kidney diseases are to be taken into consideration before taking Alkacip
Q. Is Alkacip legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored by –