Table of Contents
- What is Alkasol?
- Uses of Alkasol
- How does Alkasol work?
- How to take Alkasol?
- Alkasol Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Alkasol?
- Precautions While Taking Alkasol:
- Side-Effects of Alkasol:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Alkasol Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Alkasol
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Alkasol Syrup
- Authored By –
1What is Alkasol?
It is mainly Used to prevent or treat allergic conditions like burning micturition in UTIs, kidney stones etc. Excessive urine production, fatigue are the common and major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of heart, liver and kidney problems.
Alkasol Composition: Disodium hydrogen citrate 1.37/5ml.
Manufactured By: Stadmed Limited
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC (over the counter) drug.
Price: Rs 86.55 for 100ml bottle.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Buffering agent
2Uses of Alkasol
Alkasol serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Renal Calculi: Used in cases of patients with renal calculi (kidney stones).
- Acidosis: Used to treat and manage increased acid production in urine.
- Burning micturition: Used to treat cases of burning micturition in cases of Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
- Gout: In cases of Gout as it decreases the chance of uric acid stones in a nascent stage of uricosuric therapy.
- Antioxidant: Used as an antioxidant also.
3How does Alkasol work?
- Alkasol contains Disodium hydrogen citrate as its main active ingredient.
- Disodium hydrogen citrate is a base and it acts like buffer inside the body and helps to remove or neutralise the excess acid inside the urine or blood.
4How to take Alkasol?
- Alkasol is available in the form of Liquid or syrup, usually taken orally with a glass of water, with or after food.
- Take the syrup with or after food as it helps in better absorption of the drug.
- Evenly spaced time intervals between two doses should be maintained.
- The dose should not be altered in any form without the proper guidance of the doctor.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the drug package for better understanding about the Do’s and don’ts of the drug.
5Alkasol Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Usually recommended dose for an adult in case of kidney stone is 2 tablespoon 2-3 times a day but it may vary depending on the case.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Alkasol?
Overdose of Alkasol can cause serious undesirable effects. Always adhere to the prescribed dose only and in case of overdose, immediately inform the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Alkasol?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Alkasol?
Expired Alkasol might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Alkasol?
The effect of Alkasol can be seen within the first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. till when does the effect of Alkasol stays?
- Time is taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
- Complete prescribe dose should be taken.
6When to Avoid Alkasol?
Do not Consume Alkasol if:
- Allergy: In cases of patients with known allergy to any of its constituents.
- Infection: In cases of patients with a severe bacterial infection
- Blood pressure: In cases of high BP, patients with high sodium levels in the blood.
- Kidney disorders: In patients with decreased urine output, severe kidney disorders.
- Heart problems: If cases of the known history of high blood potassium levels, congestive heart failure, heart disease is there
7Precautions While Taking Alkasol:
- Allergy: In case of any allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Dose alteration: Don’t alter/Change the schedule of the dose as per your own convenience.
- Dose administration: Alkasol should be taken preferably with or after food for better absorption.
Warnings When Taking Alkasol
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose.
8Side-Effects of Alkasol:
The side effects associated with Alkasol are:
- Nausea (Common)
- Vomiting, (less common)
- Stomach pain, (less common)
- Gas in the stomach, (Common)
- Excessive production of urine, (Common)
- Ulcers in the stomach, (less common)
- Tiredness, (Common)
- Fatigue, (less common)
- Anxiety (Common)
- Headache. (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Alkasol?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty
- Swelling of face, lip
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Alkasol on organs?
Alkasol should be used with caution in patients with liver impairment as it can affect the liver.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Alkasol. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Alkasol. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Alkasol Syrup
Excess consumption of juice to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Alkasol Syrup
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Steroid medications (mild)
- Methotrexate (moderate)
- Ephedrine (mild)
- Amphetamines (moderate)
- Potassium depleting diuretics (mild)
- Quinidine (moderate)
- Salicylates (mild)
- Tetracyclines (mild)
3. Effects of Alkasol Syrup on Lab Tests
Alkasol doesn’t affect any lab tests as such.
4. Alkasol Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
heart, liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Alkasol with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Alkasol can cause increased acid production and it may worsen the condition. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Alkasol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Excessive intake of juices to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Alkasol when pregnant?
No, it should be avoided in pregnancy unless stated otherwise by the doctor. Always inform the doctor before taking Alkasol in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive for case-specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Alkasol when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should use it only when necessary and the drug should be used with caution under the doctor’s guidance.
Q. Can I drive after taking Alkasol?
Yes, Alkasol does not affect the ability to drive. Although, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided in such cases after 24 hours of taking the drug.
10Buyer’s Guide – Alkasol Composition, Variant and Price
|Alkasol Syrup Variants||Alkasol Syrup Composition||Alkasol Syrup Price (Rs.)|
|Alkasol 450ml Syrup||Disodium hydrogen citrate 1.37gm||Rs. 225.62 for 1 pack|
|Alkasol 200ml Syrup||Disodium hydrogen citrate 1.37gm||Rs. 148.09 for 1 pack|
|Alkasol P 60ml Syrup||Disodium hydrogen citrate 1gm + Paracetamol 125mg + Sorbitol 50mg/5ml||Rs. 50.05 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get minimum 30% off: Pharmeasy Promo Code | Practo Promo Code
11Substitutes of Alkasol
The following are alternative drugs for Alkasol:
- Citracare 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals.
- Price- Rs. 34
- Alkel 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 60.5
- Cital 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Indoco Remedies Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 74.6
- Alkasit 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Ortin Laboratories Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 45
Storage requirements for Alkasol
- Store the Alkasol at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at temperature below 25OC
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
- Avoid freezing the medicine
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Alkasol Syrup
Q. What is Alkasol?
Ans. Alkasol is a buffering drug that contains Disodium hydrogen citrate as its main active ingredient and is used to treat acidosis and UTIs etc.
Q. What are the uses of Alkasol Syrup?
Ans. It is used to treat Renal Calculi, Acidosis, Burning micturition.
Q. What are the side effects of Alkasol Syrup?
Ans. The most common side effects of Alkasol Syrup are Nausea, Vomiting, Stomach pain, Gas in the stomach, Excessive production of urine, Ulcers in the stomach
Q. How long does it take for Alkasol to show results?
Ans. The effect of Alkasol can be seen within the first few days of starting the therapy. Although, time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every patient.
Q. Should Alkasol be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Alkasol should not be taken empty stomach as it can lead to gastric irritation and delayed drug absorption.
Q. Does Alkasol make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Alkasol may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Alkasol doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Alkasol should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Alkasol.
Q. Does Alkasol effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Alkasol safe for children?
Ans. Alkasol should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Alkasol?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Alkasol.
Q. Is Alkasol legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.