Table of Contents
- What is Allegra?
- Uses of Allegra
- Allegra Price in India
- How to Take Allegra?
- Common Dosage for Allegra?
- Precautions – When To Avoid Allegra?
- Side-effects of Allegra?
- Less serious side effects may include:
- Effects on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage of Allegra
- When Was Allegra Made?
- Pro Tips When Taking Allegra
- Is Allegra Addictive?
- Can I have Allegra with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Allegra when Pregnant?
- Can I have Allegra when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Allegra?
- What happens if I overdose on Allegra?
- What happens if I eat expired Allegra?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Allegra?
Allegra Composition – Fexofenadine 60 MG
Manufactured By – Sanofi India Limited
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 114
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Allegra?
Allegra is the brand name of fexofenadine which is a second generation anti-histaminic (anti-allergic). Histamine is a substance released in the body that is responsible for allergic symptoms like itching, watering of eyes, sneezing etc. Allegra works by blocking histamine release in the body.
Here is a video summarizing the side effects, precautions etc. of Allegra. You can scroll down further to read everything in detail.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Allegra in Hindi
Uses of Allegra
It is commonly used for treatment of seasonal allergies, skin itching, rashes, allergic conjunctivitis, etc.
You may also read: Alprax Uses | Paracetamol Uses
Allegra Price in India
|120 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 152.89|
|180 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 174.89|
How to Take Allegra?
The dosage and frequency usually depend on your age, medical condition and response to the treatment. It can be taken once or twice daily or as directed by your doctor.
Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Common Dosage for Allegra?
Usually available as 60 mg, 120 mg and 180mg capsules (Allegra® 12 Hour 60 mg tablet & Allegra® 24 Hour 120 mg tablet).
Dosage is usually based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. For best results, it should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
For seasonal allergies in adults, Allegra can be taken 180mg once daily or 60 mg twice daily, whereas, in children, 30 mg twice daily is recommended.
You may also read: Acebrophylline Dosage
Precautions – When To Avoid Allegra?
Allegra should not be used:
- If you are allergic to any of its components
- If you are suffering from a severe liver disease
- If you are suffering from any kidney dysfunction
- If you are below 6 years of age (Allegra suspension can be used in children)
Side-effects of Allegra?
Allergy to Allegra is very rare but if it occurs, it may show one of the following symptoms: swelling of face, throat, lips, difficulty in breathing, rash or itching of the skin. If any such symptoms are observed, seek medical attention immediately.
Less serious side effects may include:
- Nausea, upset stomach
- Pain in stomach
Effects on organs?
- Impaired kidney function – Patients already suffering from pre-existing kidney disease or impaired kidney function should use this medicine with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
- Skin allergy test – This medicine can interfere with the results of any skin test/patch test. Always report the use of this medicine before undergoing any skin test. Discontinuation of this medicine at least 2-4 days prior to skin test can be done but under doctor’s guidance.
- Allegra Tablet is safe to use in patients with liver disease.
You may also read: Aceclofenac Side Effects
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergy to Allegra is rare but signs of an allergic reaction include:
- Itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
Allegra may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Erythromycin, Ketoconazole (an anti-fungal drug), Rifampin – In case if you are using this medicine, always inform your doctor. Interaction of drugs with each other may change how both the medicines work or may increase your risk for potential undesirable reactions.
- Antacids – In case if you are using this medicine, always inform your doctor. Antacids decrease the absorption of Allegra. Therefore, do not antacids along with this medicine.
Shows Effects / Results In
The effect of this medicine can be observed within 1-2 hours of administration and it lasts up to 12-14 hours.
A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Storage of Allegra
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light, heat, and moisture.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
When Was Allegra Made?
Fexofenadine was originally synthesized in 1993 and was later approved by food and drug administration (FDA) in 1996.
Pro Tips When Taking Allegra
- Avoid using antacids within 15 minutes before or after taking this medicine. It can interfere with the absorption of Allegra.
- Always keep a minimum 2 hours gap between taking Allegra and your remedy for indigestion.
Is Allegra Addictive?
Can I have Allegra with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Do not take Allegra with any fruit juices (such as apple, orange, or grapefruit) as it gets in the way of its absorption.
Can I have Allegra when Pregnant?
Allegra may be unsafe to use during pregnancy as few animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus. Please consult your doctor before using this drug.
Can I have Allegra when feeding a baby?
Allegra is considered to be safe during breastfeeding as there are no known side effects on the infant. It is still advisable to use the drug with caution. Please consult your doctor before using this drug.
Can I drive after taking Allegra?
Allegra is a second generation antihistaminic with side effects like drowsiness. A few patients might exhibit little drowsiness. So, it should be used with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Allegra?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdosage.
What happens if I eat expired Allegra?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Allegra?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.