Table of Contents
- What is Alprax?
- Uses of Alprax
- Alprax Price in India
- How to Take Alprax?
- Common Dosage For Alprax?
- Precautions – When To Avoid Alprax?
- Side-effects of Alprax?
- Effects on organs
- Reported Allergic Reactions
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage Requirements for Alprax
- Pro Tips When Taking Alprax
- Is Alprax Addictive?
- Can I have Alprax with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Alprax Tablet When Pregnant?
- Can I have Alprax when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Alprax?
- What happens if I overdose on Alprax?
- What happens if I eat expired Alprax?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Alprax Tablet?
Alprax Composition – Alprazolam 0.25 MG
Manufactured By – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 21.9
Quantity – 15 tablets in 1 strip
What is Alprax?
Alprax Tablet contains Alprazolam as an active drug. Alprazolam has sedative, hypnotic, antidepressant, muscle relaxant, anxiety-relieving, and amnesic properties. Alprazolam belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines enhance the effects of GABA (a natural chemical in the body) and act on the central nervous system (nerves and brain) to produce a relaxing and calming effect.
Here is a video detailing Alprax uses, precautions & side effects. You can scroll down further to read everything in detail.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Alprax Tablet in Hindi
Uses of Alprax
It is usually used to treat anxiety disorders, like social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and generalised anxiety disorder. Alprazolam was first released in 1981 by Upjohn (which is now a part of Pfizer)
Alprax Price in India
|0.5 mg Strip of 15 Tablets||Rs 42|
|0.25 mg Strip of 15 Tablets||Rs 20|
|1 mg Strip of 15 Tablets||Rs 86.3|
How to Take Alprax?
Alprax Tablet are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor. The tablets are to be taken with food or without food. Never crush or chew the tablet.
It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Dosage For Alprax?
The drug dosage and form are decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
Alprax is available in tablets form as 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg tablets.
You may also read: Aceclofenac Dosage
Precautions – When To Avoid Alprax?
- Use of Alprax tablets should be avoided if the patient is allergic to Alprazolam or any other benzodiazepine drug.
- Special precaution must be taken in alcohol- or drug-dependent people and people with a history of drug abuse.
- Special precaution should be taken in children, elderly, pregnant or lactating females.
- Use of Alprax should be avoided in people with psychosis and borderline personality disorder.
- Use of Alprax should be avoided in people suffering from chronic liver disease, glaucoma, severe respiratory diseases.
- Use of Alprax should be avoided in people suffering from Myasthenia Gravis.
Also Read About: Bifilac
Side-effects of Alprax?
Side effects due to Alprazolam present in Alprax tablet include:
- Blurred vision
- Increase in weight
Tolerance, physical & psychological dependence are other major adverse effects due to Alprax tablets.
You may also read: Acemiz Plus Side Effects
Effects on organs
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from liver disease.
Reported Allergic Reactions
Although rare, the reported allergic reactions include skin rashes, red itchy bumps, swelling over lips, eyes, and face.
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
Drug interactions with the following medicines can slow down the removal of Alprazolam from the body:
- Antifungal drugs
- Anti-depressants like Fluoxetine
- Anti – HIV drugs
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin
Drug interactions with the following medicines can aggravate side effects like drowsiness, dizziness and shallow breathing:
- Opioid painkillers
- Cough syrups
- Alcohol, marijuana
- Anti-anxiety drugs like diazepam
- Muscle relaxants
- Anti-allergic drugs like Cetirizine
You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Shows Effects / Results In:
Storage Requirements for Alprax
Alprax must always be stored away from direct light & heat, in a cool and dry environment. The room temperature must be between 15-30° C.
Pro Tips When Taking Alprax
- Asians are more sensitive to the effects of alprazolam
- Over-weight or obese people are more sensitive to the effects of Alprazolam because the drug may last for longer in the body in people who are obese
- Never alter the drug dosage or stop taking the drug without consulting the physician as it can result in serious withdrawal symptoms
- You should not smoke while consuming Alprax tablets
Is Alprax Addictive?
Alprax tablets can lead to the development of tolerance, drug dependence and withdrawal symptoms.
Can I have Alprax with alcohol?
Alcohol and Alprax tablets taken together can result in severe sedation, changes in behaviour and toxicity.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Grapefruit or grapefruit products should be avoided while taking Alprax tablets because grapefruit can elevate levels of Alprazolam in the blood.
- Consumption of the herb Kava should be avoided while taking Alprax tablets because a combination of alprazolam and kava can result in a semi-conscious state.
- Plants belonging to the Hypericum genus (including St John’s wort) reduces the therapeutic potential of Alprax tablets.
- Smoking tobacco and marijuana consumption should be avoided while taking Alprax tablets.
Can I have Alprax Tablet When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Alprax is not suggested for use by pregnant women. Alprazolam present in Alprax tablets is known to cause birth defects and use of this tablet in the last few months of pregnancy can lead to fatal respiratory problems (breathing related problems), drug dependence and drug withdrawal=- symptoms.
Can I have Alprax when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are a lactating mother. Alprax is not suggested for use by lactating women. Alprazolam present in Alprax tablets in known to cross the placenta and express in the human breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Alprax?
It might not be safe to drive after consuming Alprax tablets. Alprax can cause dizziness and drowsiness which can result in impaired driving ability.
What happens if I overdose on Alprax?
An overdose of Alprax can cause poisoning or severe side-effects –
- Coma and death if Alprax is consumed with other substances.
- Fainting, fainting on standing up too fast
- Muscle weakness
- Shallow breathing
If you have taken an over-dose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Alprax?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Alprax to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Alprax Tablet?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.