Table of Contents
- 1 What is Althrocin?
- 2 Uses of Althrocin Tablet
- 3 Althrocin Composition
- 4 How Does Althrocin work?
- 5 Althrocin Price in India
- 6 How to Take Althrocin?
- 7 Common Dosage of Althrocin Tablets
- 8 When to Avoid Althrocin Tablet & Precautions to Take?
- 9 Side Effects of Althrocin Tablets
- 10 What Are The Effects of Althrocin Tablets on Organs?
- 11 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 12 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 13 Shows Effects/ Results In
- 14 Storage Requirements for Althrocin Tablet
- 15 Pro Tips When Taking Althrocin Tablet
- 16 FAQs
- 17 Is Althrocin addictive?
- 18 Can I have Althrocin tablet with alcohol?
- 19 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 20 Can I have Althrocin tablet when pregnant?
- 21 Can I have Althrocin tablet when feeding a baby?
- 22 Can I drive after taking Althrocin tablet?
- 23 What happens if I overdose on Althrocin tablets?
- 24 What happens if I eat expired Althrocin?
- 25 What happens if I miss a dose of Althrocin?
Althrocin Composition – Erythromycin (250mg)
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 39.4
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Althrocin?
Althrocin is a macrolide antibiotic which is used to prevent and treat different types of bacterial infections. It has a narrow antimicrobial spectrum, mostly gram-positive and a few gram-negative bacteria.
Althrocin tablet is used to treat infections of the lungs, throat, ear, etc. caused by bacteria. It should not be used for the treatment of viral infections like common cold, flu etc.
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife offers | Netmeds offers
Uses of Althrocin Tablet
Althrocin tablet is prescribed for:
- Ear Infection
- Infection of Tonsil, sinus
- Skin infections
- Prophylaxis for Rheumatic Fever
Read More: Airol uses | Citol uses | Clopam uses
Althrocin has Erythromycin as its chief ingredient.
How Does Althrocin work?
Althrocin acts by inhibiting essential bacterial protein synthesis leading to complete cessation of bacterial growth and thus acting as an effective antibiotic
Althrocin Price in India
|Strip of 10 tablets of 250mg||Rs. 39.4|
|Strip of 10 tablets of 500mg||Rs. 76.75|
How to Take Althrocin?
- Althrocin is administered orally in the form of tablets.
- It can also be given via injection form as an infusion into a vein for severe infections
- This medicine is better absorbed after oral administration when taken empty stomach In patients with gastric problems, administer it with food.
- Do not crush, break or chew the tablet. Swallow it as a whole.
- Do not discontinue the medicine on your own. A complete course of antibiotic is must even if the symptoms subside. If the doses are skipped in between, increased chances of bacterial resistance to antibiotics are observed.
Common Dosage of Althrocin Tablets
- The common dose for an adult is 250 to 500 mg tab every 6-8 hours and for children is 125 mg kid.
- Dose for injection is 1-4gm/day intravenous in divided doses every 6 hours or by continous infusion.
When to Avoid Althrocin Tablet & Precautions to Take?
- Avoid the use of Althrocin if you are allergic to it or to any other component present in it.
- Althrocin tablet is not recommended for use in patients with a history of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic (liver) impairment caused by the prior use of this medicine.
- Contraindicated in patients with a history of severe hepatic impairment.
- Before using this medicine, tell your doctor if you have health problems like heart problem (heart failure, QT prolongation) or myasthenia gravis (muscle disorder).
Also Read: Colimex Precautions | Combivir Precautions | Coxib Precautions
Side Effects of Althrocin Tablets
Some of the reported side effects of Althrocin tablets are:
- Fast heartbeat
- Skin rash
- Muscle or joint pain
- Chest tightness
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Hearing problems (rare)
What Are The Effects of Althrocin Tablets on Organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Pancreatitis, pancreatitis without biliary obstruction.
- Cardiovascular reactions-Ventricular tachycardia associated with prolonged QT interval, arrhythmia, and hypotension.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Signs of an allergic reaction due to Althrocin tablet include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the tongue, throat
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Althrocin tablets:
- Lovastatin, simvastatin
- Ethinyl Estradiol
Shows Effects/ Results In
- Althrocin inhibits synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. This stops the bacteria from growing and prevents the infection from spreading.
- The effect of Althrocin tablet can be seen in 3 to 4 hours of administration of it.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Storage Requirements for Althrocin Tablet
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store at room temperature between 15°C to 30°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep Althrocin tablet out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Althrocin Tablet
- Do not take any antacid medication 2 hours before or after taking Althrocin.
- Take Althrocin tablet at least 30 minutes before food or 2 hours after having food.
- Always inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of irregular heartbeat, heart failure, fainting, or sudden death or myasthenia gravis, kidney or liver disease.
Is Althrocin addictive?
No addictive tendency has been observed.
Can I have Althrocin tablet with alcohol?
Alcohol can cause liver damage temporarily and that might increase the risk of side effects of the Althrocin tablet thus avoid alcohol while on Althrocin therapy
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interactions with any food products have been observed.
Can I have Althrocin tablet when pregnant?
Yes, it is safe to use Althrocin tablet during pregnancy; but use it only if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Can I have Althrocin tablet when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I drive after taking Althrocin tablet?
Althrocin tablet does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Althrocin tablets?
An overdose of Althrocin may cause nausea, vomiting, severe epigastric pain, and pancreatitis.
What happens if I eat expired Althrocin?
An expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Althrocin?
If you miss a dose of Althrocin tablet, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.
Also Read: Cycladol 20mg tablet | deflox tablet | demelan cream