Table of Contents
- 1 Major Benefits & Ways of Using Sandalwood Oil
- 2 For Healthy Skin
- 3 Sandalwood Oil Nutritional Value
- 4 For Healthy Hair
- 5 For a healthy mind and body
- 6 For a better home and garden
- 7 Complimentary Oils
- 8 How to make an oil mix for various purposes?
- 9 Are there any side effects of Sandalwood Oil?
- 10 Sandalwood Essential Oil Brands
- 11 Where to buy Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood oil has countless benefits for our mind and body. It is extracted from steam distillation of mature sandalwood tree shreds. Older trees provide stronger aroma and a better oil reserve. Its earthy, rich fragrance and therapeutic properties have always tempted man and therefore, sandalwood trees have been exploited to the verge of extinction. This is also the reason for its extremely high cost. To know more benefits and uses of this wondrous oil, let’s dive in further.
Major Benefits & Ways of Using Sandalwood Oil
Using Sandalwood Oil in different ways can bring you distinct advantages.
For Healthy Skin
- Itchy and dry skin can be kept at bay by mixing a few drops of sandalwood essential oil with your face cream or lotion
- Sandalwood oil can be mixed with your toner, astringent or face pack to promote supple and bright skin. It also helps treat blemishes, blackheads and acne
- Men can use it as an after shave
- To nourish and rejuvenate your skin, try a home spa by infusing a few drops of sandalwood essential oil to hot water. Cover your head with a towel to take the steam
Sandalwood Oil Nutritional Value
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||%Daily Value|
|Calories from Fat||135||Nil|
For Healthy Hair
While there are specific sandalwood hair oils available, you can use sandalwood essential oil in many ways for scalp and hair benefits.
- Add a few drops of sandalwood essential oil to your daily shampoo or conditioner to nourish your hair
- Mix 4-8 drops of sandalwood essential oil with some jojoba oil to get natural hair shine
- Massage your scalp with sandalwood oil mixed with a base oil of your choice to eliminate dandruff, breakage and to promote blood circulation
- Make a hair pack to tame frizz by mixing 4 drops of sandalwood oil to ¼ cup water, 2 tbsp orange juice and 1 tbsp honey
Even Avocado oil can be used to improve the quality of your hair. You should read the benefits of Avocado oil for hair regrowth to know more how you can use it for maximum benefits.
For a healthy mind and body
- Aromatherapy works like magic to uplift mood and balance the senses. Sprinkle some oil on your pillow to get rid of stress and have a good night’s sleep. It also works as an aphrodisiac
- Diffusing some oil in your room uplifts the atmosphere and is highly beneficial in meditation
- When massaged with a carrier oil onto the body, it relieves muscle pain
- It can also be added to bath water to relax the body
- Ingesting a few drops with milk acts as an energy and memory booster
- Mix a few drops of sandalwood oil with water and gargle, it acts as a remedy for cough and dry throat
For a better home and garden
- Diffusing some sandalwood essential oil with water or home cleaners acts as a disinfectant
- Sandalwood oil when mixed with water and sprayed on plants helps them deal with environmental stress
- A few drops of oil can also be added while washing clothes to add fragrance and remove dust mites
Since Sandalwood essential oil is strong, it should be used with another carrier oil like Bergamot, Rose, Myrrh, Ylang-Ylang, Geranium, Black Pepper, Lavender, Jasmine.
Check Out: Benefits of Canola Oil
How to make an oil mix for various purposes?
For making a skin firming blend
Mix 5 drops of Lavender, Patchouli and Sandalwood essential oil with 8 drops of Cypress oil. Apply on the skin before going to bed with a roll-on bottle.
For making a make-up remover
Mix ½ a cup of water with 2 tablespoon coconut oil, 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil and ¼ castile soap
This Is Helpful: Benefits of Vitamin E Oil
Are there any side effects of Sandalwood Oil?
The dosage of taking it orally should always be backed by a medical practitioner.
- If taken for more than 6 weeks in a larger amount, Sandalwood Oil may cause kidney damage
- It may also cause itching, nausea, upset stomach and blood in urine
- Pregnant and breast-feeding ladies should avoid it
- It is suggested that children should avoid taking it orally as a medicine
- If you intend to use it externally, it should be mixed with a base oil
- People with sensitive skin should use it with caution as it may cause irritation
Sandalwood Essential Oil Brands
- Mysore Sandal
- Aroma Magic
Where to buy Sandalwood Essential Oil
You may also want to know more about Sandalwood’s health benefits, uses, dosage and side effects.