Table of Contents
- What is Aminophylline?
- Uses of Aminophylline
- How Does Aminophylline Work?
- Aminophylline Price In India
- How to Take Aminophylline?
- Common Dosage for Aminophylline?
- When to Avoid Aminophylline?
- Side-Effects of Aminophylline
- Effects of Aminophylline on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Aminophylline
- Is Aminophylline addictive?
- Can I have Aminophylline with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Aminophylline when pregnant?
- Can I have Aminophylline when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Aminophylline?
- What happens if I overdose on Aminophylline?
- What happens if I eat expired Aminophylline?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Aminophylline?
- Storage Requirements for Aminophylline
- Pro Tips When Taking Aminophylline
Aminophylline Composition – Not Available
Manufactured By – Sipa Pharma
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 235
Quantity – 1,000 in 1 bottle
What is Aminophylline?
Aminophylline is a bronchodilator medication which is used to dilate your airways in conditions when there is constriction of airways.
Uses of Aminophylline
Aminophylline is used in the treatment of:
- Trouble breathing
- Anaphylactic shock
You may also read: Doxorubicin Uses | Enoxaparin Uses
How Does Aminophylline Work?
Aminophylline acts on your airways by relaxing their muscles thereby widening them. This results in the ability of easier breathing. Aminophylline also acts by decreasing the sensitivity of lungs towards foreign bodies which can cause irritation.
Aminophylline Price In India
|Vial of 250 mg Injection||Rs 347.50|
Also Read: Griseofulvin Price
How to Take Aminophylline?
Aminophylline tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You must consume this medication on an empty stomach. If you are prescribed with the injection form of Aminophylline then it must be administered into your veins directly.
Common Dosage for Aminophylline?
The tablet form of Aminophylline is generally prescribed two times to four times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
You may also read: Ethambutol Dosage | Famotidine Dosage
When to Avoid Aminophylline?
Avoid Aminophylline if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You are about to undergo a surgical procedure
Side-Effects of Aminophylline
Some of the reported side effects of Aminophylline are:
- Increased heart rate
- Stomach discomfort
- Increased urination
- Liver dysfunction
- Muscle twitching
- Yellowing of eyes and skin
Also Read: Filgrastim Side Effect
Effects of Aminophylline on Organs?
Long-term use of Aminophylline is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Aminophylline are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Aminophylline:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
Effects/Results After Consuming Aminophylline
The effect of Aminophylline can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your breathing symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Aminophylline addictive?
Aminophylline is not addictive in nature
Can I have Aminophylline with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Aminophylline. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with this medication causes excessive drowsiness and calmness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid caffeine, smoking, and tobacco while on Aminophylline. You must consult your doctor regarding the other foods to be avoided.
Can I have Aminophylline when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Aminophylline if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Aminophylline when feeding a baby?
Aminophylline is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Aminophylline while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Aminophylline?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Aminophylline. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Aminophylline?
An overdose of Aminophylline will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Aminophylline?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Aminophylline, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Aminophylline?
As soon as you remember to take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Aminophylline
- Always store Aminophylline at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep the injectable form in the refrigerator
- Keep Aminophylline away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Aminophylline
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Aminophylline if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Take this medication in the evening to get relief from asthma symptoms throughout the night.
- The tablet form of Aminophylline takes time to show its full effects and hence should not be used for sudden attacks of breathing problems.