Skip to Content
- What is Amixide H?
- Uses of Amixide H
- How does Amixide H work?
- How to Take Amixide H?
- Common Dosage for Amixide H
- When to avoid Amixide H?
- Precautions While Taking Amixide H
- Side-Effects of Amixide H
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 1. Food Interactions with Amixide H
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Amixide H
- 4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Amixide H with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Amixide H when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Amixide H when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Amixide H?
- Amixide H – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Amixide H
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Amixide H
- Q. What is Amixide H?
- Q. What are the uses of Amixide H?
- Q. What are the side effects of Amixide H?
- Q. Should Amixide H be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Amixide H make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Amixide H doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Amixide H effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Amixide H safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Amixide H?
- Q. Is Amixide H legal in India?
- Similar Reads:
What is Amixide H?
Amixide H is a combination medicine used to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety. Amixide H contains “Amitriptyline and Chlordiazepoxide” as its active ingredients and is available in tablet form for oral administration. Amixide H should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to several adverse effects like blurred vision, dizziness, uncoordinated body movements etc.
Composition: Amitriptyline – 12.5mg, Chlordiazepoxide – 5mg
Manufactured by – Sun pharmaceutical industries LTD
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 36
Type of Drug – Anti-depressant drug
Read more: Duolin Composition
Uses of Amixide H
Amixide H serves a dual purpose as it works for pain as well as fever. It is prescribed for the following:
- Treatment of depression
- Short term relief of anxiety disorders and symptoms associated with it like tension, irritability, fear, palpitations etc.
Read more: Urimax Uses | Syndopa Plus Uses
How does Amixide H work?
- Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant which functions by prolonging the activity of neurotransmitters released from nerve cells.
- Chlordiazepoxide is an anti anxiety agent which enhances the effect of a neurotransmitter called as GABA which is responsible for its anti-anxiety and sedative (sleep inducing) activity.
How to Take Amixide H?
- Amixide H medicine is available in tablet form in various strengths.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids at a fixed time. Do not chew, break, or crush the tablet.
- The medicine is well absorbed orally and can be administered with or without food. The medicine must be administered regularly to get the most benefit.
- In order to reduce sleepiness (one of the adverse effects), major portion of the medicine should be taken at bedtime.
- Do not stop treatment with Amixide H suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped. Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
Common Dosage for Amixide H
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Initial recommended dose of Amixide H in anxiety and depression patients – 3-4 tablets per day in divided dose with a maximum limit of 6 tablets per day.
- This is followed by a maintenance dose of 2-6 tablets per day in divided dose. Once a satisfactory response is achieved, dose should be reduced to lowest effective amount possible.
- Dose adjustment might be needed in elderly and patients suffering from liver and kidney diseases.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Amixide H?
Amixide H should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Amixide H?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Amixide H?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Amixide H?
Amixide H should be taken regularly to be effective. It may take up to 4 weeks before your symptoms start improving.
Q. Till when does the effect of Amixide H stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is not clinically established.
Read more: Foracort Dosage
When to avoid Amixide H?
Amixide H should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Patients on MAO inhibitor drugs
- Patients with heart disease
- Patients with history of glaucoma and thyroid disease
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
Precautions While Taking Amixide H
- You must not discontinue the usage of Amixide H abruptly. This may lead to worsening of symptoms. A slow tapering over 6 – 8 weeks is recommended for oral formulation.
- Young patients taking Amixide H develop suicidal thoughts and tendencies and thus should be monitored carefully.
- Do not use Amixide H if you have administered MAO inhibitors in last two weeks or are currently on MAO inhibitors.
Read more: Imipramine Precaution
Side-Effects of Amixide H
Amixide H is associated with variety of adverse effects which may include:
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Dry mouth (less common)
- Constipation (less common)
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping) (less common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Blurred vision (less common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Uncoordinated body movement (less common)
- Rashes (less common)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Amixide H?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Amixide H on organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver, kidney and heart disease should administer Amixide H with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Amixide H. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Amixide H
No interaction with any food products observed.
2. Medicines Interactions with Amixide H
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Cimetidine (severe)
- MAO inhibitors (severe)
- Diazepam (moderate)
- Alprazolam (moderate)
- Warfarin (moderate)
- Clonidine (moderate)
3. Effects of Amixide H on Lab Tests
Amixide H does not affect any laboratory tests.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing kidney diseases, cardiac disease must consult their physician before consuming Amixide H.
Q. Can I have Amixide H with alcohol?
Concomitant administration of Amixide H with alcohol increases the risk of side effects like dizziness and drowsiness thus it should be avoided.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food products observed.
Q. Can I have Amixide H when pregnant?
Amixide H should not be used or used with caution in pregnancy as it may cause adverse effects (like birth defects) in foetus when administered at doses greater than the therapeutic dose.
Q. Can I have Amixide H when feeding a baby?
Amixide H should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus.
Q. Can I drive after taking Amixide H?
Amixide H does affect your ability to drive as it is associated with side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness thus it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Read more: Naxdom Side Effects
Amixide H – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Amixide H Variants||Amixide H Composition||Amixide H Price (Rs.)|
|Amixide 5||Amitriptyline – 25mg
Chlordiazepoxide – 5mg
|Amixide||Amitriptyline – 25mg
Chlordiazepoxide – 10mg
Substitutes of Amixide H
The following are alternative drugs for Amixide H:
- Manufactured by – Wockhardt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 75.85
- Amitone Plus
- Manufactured by – Intas Pharmaceutical
- Price – Rs. 29
Storage requirements for Amixide H
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Read more: Lesuride Price
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Amixide H
Q. What is Amixide H?
Ans. Amixide H is a combination medicine used to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety. Amixide H contains “Amitriptyline and Chlordiazepoxide” as its active ingredients and is available in tablet form for oral administration. Amixide H should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to several adverse effects like blurred vision, dizziness, uncoordinated body movements etc.
Q. What are the uses of Amixide H?
Ans. Amixide H is used to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Q. What are the side effects of Amixide H?
Ans. The most common side effects of Amixide H are Drowsiness, Dizziness, Nausea, Vomiting, Dry mouth, Constipation, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Weakness, Blurred vision
Q. Should Amixide H be taken on an empty stomach?
Amixide H can be taken empty stomach or after meals.
Q. Does Amixide H make you drowsy?
Yes Amixide H may make you feel dizzy and drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Amixide H doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Amixide H.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Amixide H effect my menstrual cycle?
Amixide H may affect menstrual cycle in females.
Q. Is Amixide H safe for children?
Amixide H is not safe for consumption in patients below 12 years of age.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Amixide H?
Patients with Glaucoma should not use Amixide H without consulting your doctor.
Q. Is Amixide H legal in India?
Yes, it is legal.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.