Table of Contents
- 1 What is Amoxicillin?
- 2 Amoxicillin Uses
- 3 How does Amoxicillin work?
- 4 Amoxicillin Price in India
- 5 How to Take Amoxicillin?
- 6 Common Dosage For Amoxicillin?
- 7 When To Avoid Amoxicillin?
- 8 Side Effects of Amoxicillin?
- 9 What Are The Effects of Amoxicillin on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Amoxicillin Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Amoxicillin with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Amoxicillin When Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Amoxicillin when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Amoxicillin?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Amoxicillin?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Amoxicillin?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Amoxicillin?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Amoxicillin
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin Composition – Amoxicillin 250 MG
Manufactured By – Torque Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Capsule
Price – Rs 31.05
Quantity – 10 in a Strip
What is Amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic which is mainly used for conditions caused by bacteria.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds
such as –
- Respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Sinus infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Dental & oral infections
- Soft tissue infections
- Infected human/animal bites
How does Amoxicillin work?
Amoxicillin is an analog of Penicillin (anti-bacterial drug). It stops the bacterial growth by interfering with the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
Amoxicillin Price in India
|250 mg box of 100 Capsules||Rs 104.6|
Also Read: Ceftriaxone Price | Cetrizine Price
How to Take Amoxicillin?
- Amoxicillin usually comes in the form of tablets & suspensions which are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually once daily.
- It is preferable to take Amoxicillin with/after food because absorption of this drug is better when taken with food. For best results, Amoxicillin must be taken at evenly spaced times.
- You should not crush or chew the tablet. You must swallow the whole tablet, or break it in half and take both halves one at a time.
- If you have trouble swallowing the tablet, you must talk to your doctor about using another form of Amoxicillin.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
- Shake the syrup bottle well before each use to mix up the drugs evenly. A measuring cup should be used to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
- The usage of Amoxicillin must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
- It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Dosage For Amoxicillin?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- tablets / suspensions
- Amoxicillin tablets come in the following strengths:
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
- A typical adult dosage is one 500-mg tablet of Amoxicillin every 12 hours or one 250-mg tablet every 8 hours.
- The maximum dosage is maximum 1200 mg amoxicillin/kg/day
Also Read: Monocef Dosage | Mtp Dosage | Nicotex Dosage
When To Avoid Amoxicillin?
- Amoxicillin should be avoided in patients who have a positive history of allergy to any penicillin.
- It is also be avoided in patients with a history of chronic liver disease/jaundice associated with Amoxicillin in the past.
- Amoxicillin doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, common cold)). Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
- Amoxicillin should be avoided in patients who have liver or severe kidney problems.
- Amoxicillin should be avoided in patients who have HIV/AIDS, Mononucleosis, Leukemia (ALL type)
- Amoxicillin should be avoided in patients who have been receiving BCG live vaccine or typhoid live vaccine oral.
Side Effects of Amoxicillin?
- Common side effects of Amoxicillin include- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, gas in the stomach, white fungal patches in the mouth, rashes and itching on skin, vaginal fungal infection.
- Other side effects include jaundice, easy bleeding, confusion, unusual behaviors or thoughts, loss of appetite, weakness, and drowsiness.
- Amoxicillin can cause a severe form of diarrhoea called Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea which can cause watery, loose stool with a very foul smell.
Also Read: Doxycycline Side Effect | Ibuprofen Side Effect | Momate Side Effect
What Are The Effects of Amoxicillin on Organs?
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
A serious allergic reaction can occur in patients receiving Amoxicillin. Patients with a positive history of Penicillin allergy and/or a history of allergy to multiple allergens are more prone to allergic reactions with Amoxicillin. If an allergic reaction occurs, Amoxicillin should be discontinued and a physician must be consulted immediately.
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use especially
- Warfarin and other blood thinners
- Mycophenolate mofetil
- Magnesium Citrate
- Proton pump inhibitors such as rabeprazole, omeprazole
- Antibiotics such as tetracycline, doxycycline
In common with other broad-spectrum antibiotics, Amoxicillin can decrease the efficacy of oral contraceptives.
Shows Effects / Results In
- You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Amoxicillin.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Is Amoxicillin Addictive?
No, Amoxicillin is not addictive.
Can I have Amoxicillin with alcohol?
Dizziness and drowsiness can happen both after consuming alcohol and as a side effect of Amoxicillin and using both of them together can worsen the effects. Therefore, you must avoid consuming alcohol while taking Amoxicillin.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit products/juice while taking Amoxicillin.
Can I have Amoxicillin When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Taking Amoxicillin during pregnancy can reduce estrogen levels in your body. You must consult your physician regarding the same.
- In common with other broad-spectrum antibiotics, Amoxicillin can also decrease the efficacy of oral contraceptives.
Can I have Amoxicillin when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
- Amoxicillin is excreted in the breast milk; therefore, caution should be exercised when Amoxicillin is administered to a lactating woman.
Can I drive after taking Amoxicillin?
Drowsiness and dizziness can occur as a side effect after taking Amoxicillin. Therefore, it is advisable to refrain from driving if you feel drowsy/dizzy after taking this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Amoxicillin?
- An overdose of Amoxicillin can lead to cause pain in stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Rashes, itching on skin, hyperactivity, or dizziness have also been observed in a small number of patients.
- In the case of overdosage, discontinue use of Amoxicillin and contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Amoxicillin?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Amoxicillin?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Amoxicillin
- Amoxicillin tablets should be stored in a cool & dry environment, away from direct light and heat.
- Amoxicillin syrup should be refrigerated to maintain effectiveness.
Pro Tips When Taking Amoxicillin
- To reduce the chances of development of resistance to the antibiotic, use of Amoxicillin should be done only to treat diseases which are strongly suspected to be of bacterial origin.
- If you are on prolonged therapy with Amoxicillin, it is advisable to get blood examinations, liver and kidney functions tests periodically.
- During prolonged treatment with Amoxicillin, the possibility of getting superinfections (fungal or bacterial) should be kept in mind. If this happens, the drug should be discontinued and appropriate treatment should be undertaken after consulting your physician.
- Oral intake of Amoxicillin will result in high concentrations of amoxicillin in urine which can interfere with urine tests for glucose.