Table of Contents
- What is Amphotericin B?
- What is Amphotericin B used for?
- How Does Amphotericin B Work?
- How to Take Amphotericin B?
- Amphotericin B Price In India
- Common Dosage for Amphotericin B?
- When to Avoid Amphotericin B?
- Side-Effects of Amphotericin B
- Effects of Amphotericin B on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Amphotericin B
- Is Amphotericin B addictive?
- Can I have Amphotericin B with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Amphotericin B when pregnant?
- Can I have Amphotericin B when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Amphotericin B?
- What happens if I overdose on Amphotericin B?
- What happens if I eat expired Amphotericin B?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Amphotericin B?
- Storage Requirements for Amphotericin B
- Pro Tips When Taking Amphotericin B
What is Amphotericin B?
Amphotericin B is an antifungal medication which is used for severe fungal infections or when other antifungals are not effective.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals Promo Code | 1Mg Medicines
What is Amphotericin B used for?
Amphotericin B is used in the treatment of:
- Serious fungal infections
Also Read: Calciumgluconate Uses | Cefotaxime Uses | Azathioprine Uses
How Does Amphotericin B Work?
Amphotericin B mainly acts by stopping the fungal growth in your body. The cell wall is very essential for the fungus to survive and multiply. Cefotaxime acts by destroying the cell wall of the fungus thereby killing them.
How to Take Amphotericin B?
The injectable form of Amphotericin B should be administered into veins by injection or infusion directly. If you are prescribed with the topical amphotericin B then apply a thin layer of it over the affected area and rub gently.
Amphotericin B Price In India
|Specifics||Amphotericin B Price|
|50 mg *1 Vial 20 ml||Rs 7150.00|
Also Read: Ampicillin Price | Artesunate Price
Common Dosage for Amphotericin B?
Topical Amphotericin B is generally prescribed two times to four times daily. The injection or infusion is generally given once daily or on alternate days. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Amphotericin B?
Avoid Amphotericin B if:
- You are allergic to any component of Amphotericin B
- You have hearth problem
- You have breathing problems
Side-Effects of Amphotericin B
Some of the reported side effects of Amphotericin B are:
- Irregular heart rhythm
- A headache
- Chest pain
- Appetite loss
- Stomach pain
- Rapid breathing
Effects of Amphotericin B on Organs?
Long-term use of Amphotericin B is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Amphotericin B are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One should be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Amphotericin B:
- BCG vaccine
Effects/Results After Consuming Amphotericin B
The effect of Amphotericin B can be observed within 30 minutes of administration. Your fungal infection symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Amphotericin B addictive?
Amphotericin B is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Amphotericin B with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Amphotericin B. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Amphotericin B causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Amphotericin B when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Amphotericin B if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Amphotericin B when feeding a baby?
Amphotericin B is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Amphotericin B?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Amphotericin B. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Amphotericin B?
An overdose of Amphotericin B will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Amphotericin B?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Amphotericin B, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Amphotericin B?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Amphotericin B
- Always store Amphotericin B at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the reconstituted mixture for injection in a refrigerator
- Keep Amphotericin B away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Amphotericin B
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Amphotericin B if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Your doctor must know your complete medical history while prescribing this drug.
- Patients with kidney impairment are more prone to worsening their condition after administration of Amphotericin B.