Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ampicillin?
- 2 What is Ampicillin used for?
- 3 How Does Ampicillin Work?
- 4 How to Take Ampicillin?
- 5 Ampicillin Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Ampicillin?
- 7 When to Avoid Ampicillin?
- 8 Side-Effects of Ampicillin
- 9 Effects of Ampicillin on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Ampicillin
- 13 Is Ampicillin addictive?
- 14 Can I have Ampicillin with alcohol?
- 15 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 16 Can I have Ampicillin when pregnant?
- 17 Can I have Ampicillin when feeding a baby?
- 18 Can I drive after taking Ampicillin?
- 19 What happens if I overdose on Ampicillin?
- 20 What happens if I eat expired Ampicillin?
- 21 What happens if I miss a dose of Ampicillin?
- 22 Storage Requirements
- 23 Pro Tips When Taking Ampicillin
What is Ampicillin?
Ampicillin is an antibacterial medicine belonging to a class of penicillin drugs. It is used for prevention and treatment of many types of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines | Netmeds Medicines
What is Ampicillin used for?
- Bladder infections
- Stomach or intestinal infections
- Ear infections
- Strep throat
- Tooth infection
- Sore throat
- Vaginal bacterial infection
Also Read: Amphotericin B Uses | Artesunate Uses
How Does Ampicillin Work?
Bacterial cell wall is very necessary for its survival. Ampicillin acts by preventing bacteria to form their cell wall thereby killing them. This medication destroys the bonds present in cell wall of bacteria that holds the cell wall together.
How to Take Ampicillin?
Ampicillin tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. It must be taken on an empty stomach.
Ampicillin Price In India
|250 mg Strip of 10 Capsules||Rs 600.00|
Also Read: Ceftazidime Price | Chloramphenicol Price | Supradyn Price
Common Dosage for Ampicillin?
Ampicillin is generally prescribed two times to four times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Ampicillin?
Avoid Ampicillin if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You are having asthma
- You have a kidney disease
- You have a bleeding disorder
- You have a blood clotting disorder
Side-Effects of Ampicillin
- Severe stomach pain
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Fever and chills
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Unusual weakness
- Stomach pain
Effects of Ampicillin on Organs?
Ampicillin tablet is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Ampicillin tablet are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Birth control pills
- Vitamins and herbal products
Effects/Results After Consuming Ampicillin
Things to Know About Ampicillin
Is Ampicillin addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported for Ampicillin.
Can I have Ampicillin with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Ampicillin. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Ampicillin when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Ampicillin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Ampicillin when feeding a baby?
This drug is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Ampicillin while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Ampicillin?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Ampicillin. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Ampicillin?
Overdose of Ampicillin will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Ampicillin?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Ampicillin tablet, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ampicillin?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Ampicillin at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Ampicillin away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Ampicillin
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Ampicillin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- You are advised to drink plenty of fluids while you are on this medication.
- Complete the full course of Ampicillin even when your symptoms disappear.
- Your risk of further infection increases if you skip the doses.
- You must consume Ampicillin either before 1 hour or after 2 hours of a meal to gain the maximum benefit.
Also Read: Azathioprine | Calciumgluconate | Cefotaxime