What is Anafranil?
- Anafranil is a tricyclic antidepressant which affect the chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced.
- It is used to treat symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) such as recurrent thoughts or feelings and repetitive actions.
Buy smart and save money:Practo offers | Netmeds Coupon Code | MedLife Coupon Code
Uses of Anafranil
Anafranil is prescribed for:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Read About: Acetazoamide Uses | Azo Uses
How does Anafranil work?
Anafranil is a tricyclic antidepressant that acts by reducing the re-uptake of norepinephrine and serotonin in the central nervous system, thereby enhancing the effects of these neurotransmitters.
Checkout: Azro | Aldactone | Atenolol Sachet
Anafranil Price in India
|Specifics||Anafranil Price in India|
|Anafranil 10mg Tablet||Rs.16.6|
|Anafranil 25mg Tablet||Rs.49.9|
How to take Anafranil?
- Anafranil is administered orally in the form tablet and capsule, with food.
- Take this drug regularly, at the same time.
Know About: Belar Composition | Alce Composition | Argipreg Composition
Common dosage of Anafranil
The recommended dose range of Anafranil for adults is 25 to 150mg per day.
When to avoid Anafranil & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Anafranil if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Do not stop taking Anafranil medicine suddenly as it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Caution is advised in patients with major depressive disorder due to the increased risk of suicidal thoughts.
- Anafranil may cause potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome which causes symptoms like agitation, hallucinations, dizziness, tremor, seizures, nausea, and vomiting appear.
- This drug may lower the blood pressure, therefore should be used with caution in patients with heart diseases.
- Anafranil medicine may increase the levels of liver enzymes like AST and ALT. Thus, periodic monitoring of liver parameters is necessary.
- This drug may either cause weight loss or weight gain. Also it increases the risk of seizures.
- Not recommended for use in children under the age of 10 years.
Side Effects of Anafranil
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Acid or sour stomach
- Shaking of hands or feet
- Mouth ulcers
- Irregular menstrual periods
Also Read: Antacid Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Dry mouth, constipation, nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, diarrhea, eructation, esophagitis, flatulence, tooth disorder, ulcerative stomatitis, vomiting.
- Nervous system reactions- Dizziness, somnolence, tremor, headache, myoclonus, drowsiness, impaired concentration, memory impairment, migraine, muscle hypertonia, nervousness, paresthesia, speech disorder, syncope, taste perversion, twitching, vertigo.
- Genitourinary reactions- Ejaculation failure, impotence, micturition disorder, dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, breast enlargement, breast pain, dysuria, erectile dysfunction, menstrual disorder, micturition frequency, nonpuerperal lactation, urinary retention, urinary tract infection, vaginitis.
- Other reactions- Fatigue, asthenia, chills, fever/hyperpyrexia, otitis media, pain, tinnitus.
- Dermatologic reactions- Increased sweating or hyperhidrosis, abnormal skin odor, allergic dermatitis, acne, dermatitis, dry skin, photosensitivity reaction, pruritus, rash/skin rash, and urticaria.
- Psychiatric reactions- Insomnia, libido change, nervousness, abnormal dreaming, aggression, anxiety, confusional state, depersonalization, disorientation, emotional lability, female orgasmic impotence, hallucinations, irritability, restlessness, sleep disorder, withdrawal symptoms, worsening of psychiatric status.
- Metabolic reactions- Anorexia, weight increased, increased appetite, alkaline phosphatase increased, blood sugar changes, decreased appetite, thirst, weight decrease.
- Ocular reactions- Abnormal vision, abnormal lacrimation, accommodation disorder, blurred vision, conjunctivitis, and ocular allergy.
- Respiratory reactions- Pharyngitis, rhinitis, bronchospasm, coughing, dyspnea, epistaxis, laryngitis, sinusitis, yawning
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Myalgia, arthralgia, back pain, muscle weakness.
- Cardiovascular reactions- Chest pain, clinically irrelevant ECG changes, flushing, hot flushes, local edema, orthostatic hypotension, palpitation, postural hypotension, sinus tachycardia, tachycardia.
- Hematologic reactions- Anemia, purpura
- Renal reactions- Cystitis.
- Hepatic reactions- Transaminases increased.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 to 6 hours and lasts for an average duration of 4 hours and 7 to 8 hours for an active metabolite.
Storage Requirements for Anafranil
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Anafranil
- Do not use Anafranil if used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days, such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.
- Consumption of alcohol with Anafranil medicine is not recommended.
- Avoid activities that need mental alertness like driving.
- Some young people have thoughts about suicide when first taking this drug. Stay alert to changes in mood or symptoms.
Is Anafranil addictive?
Can I have Anafranil with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No; not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Anafranil when pregnant?
Can I have Anafranil when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Anafranil?
What happens if I overdose on Anafranil?
Overdose of Anafranil may cause vomiting, uneven heart rate, loss of balance, extreme drowsiness, fever, severe sweating, stiff muscles, increased or decreased urination, blue lips or fingernails, seizure (convulsions) or coma.
What happens if I eat expired Anafranil?
Expired Anafranil may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Anafranil?
If you miss a dose of Anafranil, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.
👋CashKaro Exclusive Offer👋
Hungry for more Cashback 💸? Download CashKaro App to get a Rs 60 bonus Cashback + Save up to Rs 15,000/month on online shopping.