Table of Contents
- 1 What is Apitat Syrup?
- 2 Uses of Apitat Syrup
- 3 How does Apitat Syrup work?
- 4 How to Take Apitat Syrup?
- 5 Common Dosage for Apitat Syrup
- 6 When to avoid Apitat Syrup?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Apitat Syrup
- 8 Side-Effects of Apitat Syrup
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Apitat Syrup
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Apitat Syrup
- 9.3 3. Effects of Apitat Syrup on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Apitat Syrup?
- 10 Apitat Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Substitutes of Apitat Syrup
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Apitat Syrup
- 12.1 Q. What is Apitat Syrup?
- 12.2 Q. What are the uses of Apitat Syrup?
- 12.3 Q. What are the side effects of Apitat Syrup?
- 12.4 Q. Should Apitat Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.5 Q. Does Apitat Syrup make you drowsy?
- 12.6 Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Apitat Syrup doses?
- 12.7 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.8 Q. Does Apitat Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.9 Q. Is Apitat Syrup safe for children?
- 12.10 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Apitat Syrup?
- 12.11 Q. Is Apitat Syrup legal in India?
What is Apitat Syrup?
Apitat Syrup belongs to a group of drugs called “appetite stimulant” and is primarily used as appetite booster in children. It should not be used in case of severe kidney diseases and in newborn babies.
Apitat Syrup Composition – Cyproheptadine – 2mg/5ml, Tricholine Citrate – 275mg/5ml, Sorbitol – 2gm/5ml
Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd
Prescription– Not required as it is available as over the counter (OTC) drug
Form – Syrup
Price – Rs 85
Type of Drug –Appeite stimulant
Uses of Apitat Syrup
Apitat Syrup is used in the following conditions:
Appetite stimulant: Used in cases of low appetite, where Apitat syrup is used to boost the appetite of the patient.
Also Read: Adialka Syrup Uses
How does Apitat Syrup work?
- Apitate Syrup contains 3 major constituents -: Cyproheptadine, tricholine citrate and sorbitol.
- Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of a chemical messenger (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- It also acts as an antiserotonergic agent which blocks the release of serotonin in the hypothalamus, the appetite-regulating center in the brain.
- Tricholine citrate binds with bile acid and removes bile acids from the body. Due to this binding, more bile acids are produced by the liver using cholesterol and thereby lowering cholesterol levels in the body.
- Sorbitol relieves constipation by acting as an osmotic laxative.
Know About: Alkacip Syrup Composition
How to Take Apitat Syrup?
- Apitat Syrup can be taken with or without food or as advised but it is always advisable to take it at a fixed time, preferably at night as it can cause sedation.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication-measuring device and not a household spoon should be used.
- Shake the bottle well before each use.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly before using the medicine.
Common Dosage for Apitat Syrup
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Dosage in adults: 1-2 tablespoons once or twice a day.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Apitat Syrup?
Apitat Syrup should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause some side effects. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Apitat Syrup?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I administer expired Apitat Syrup?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Apitat Syrup?
You should start to feel recovered within one week following treatment with Apitat Syrup.
Q. Till when does the effect of Apitat Syrup stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is not clinically established.
When to avoid Apitat Syrup?
Apitat Syrup should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Apitat Syrup.
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing hemodialysis
- Newborn or premature infants
- Patients with peptic ulcer
- Patients on MAO inhibitor drugs
Precautions While Taking Apitat Syrup
- Do not take an overdose.
- Always take the medicine at night, as it may cause sedation.
Read About: Asthalin Syrup Precaution
Side-Effects of Apitat Syrup
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Sedation (Most common)
- Drowsiness (Common)
- Nausea (Common)
- Vomiting (less Common)
- Diarrhoea (less Common)
- Weight gain (less Common)
- Blurred vision (rare)
- Dryness of mouth, throat (Common)
- Abdominal pain (less Common)
- Light-headedness (Common)
- Feeling of tiredness (Common)
- Low blood pressure (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Apitat Syrup?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Apitat Syrup on organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Apitat Syrup. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Apitat Syrup
No interactions observed with any food products.
2. Medicines Interactions with Apitat Syrup
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. It may interact with a large number of medicines. Few important ones include:
- Alcohol – Alcohol can aggravate sedative effect of Apitat Syrup
- Theophylline (Mild)
- Ritonavir (Mild)
- Sedatives (Mild to moderate) – Sedation can be aggravated
- MAO inhibitors (Mild)
- Tranquilizers – Tranquilizers can aggravate sedative effect of Apitat Syrup
- Anisindione (Moderate)
- Bendrofluazide (Mild)
- Fluoxetine (Mild) – Sedation can be aggravated
- Dicumarol (Mild)
- Carvedilol (Mild)
3. Effects of Apitat Syrup on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Apitat Syrup.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Apitat Syrup.
Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup with alcohol?
No. sedative effects might get aggravated.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup when pregnant?
Always consult your doctor first. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Apitat Syrup when feeding a baby?
There is no evidence as for whether ingredients of Apitat Syrup are excreted in human breast milk or not thus it should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Apitat Syrup?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache or dizziness then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Apitat Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Apitat Syrup Specifics||Composition||Price|
|Apitat Syrup 200 ml||CYPROHEPTADINE 2MG+TRICHOLINE CITRATE 275MG+SORBITOL 3.575MG||Rs. 85|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Medicines Coupons | 1mg Coupons
Substitutes of Apitat Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Apitat Syrup:
- Aptimust 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 110
- Cypon 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 98
- Normatone 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 105
Storage requirements for Apitat Syrup
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Know About: Bro Zedex ls Syrup Price
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Apitat Syrup
Q. What is Apitat Syrup?
Apitat Syrup is primarily used as an appetite booster in children. Apitat syrup belongs to the group of drugs called appetite stimulant. It is mainly used in the case of low appetite but can also be used for the prevention of liver disorders, runny nose, sneezing etc.
Q. What are the uses of Apitat Syrup?
Apitat Syrup is mainly used in the case of low appetite but can also be used for the prevention of liver disorders, runny nose, sneezing etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Apitat Syrup?
Majority of patients don’t show any side effects but few patients might show side effects. Some of the common side effects include Sedation, Drowsiness, Nausea, and Feeling of tiredness.
Q. Should Apitat Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Apitat Syrup can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Apitat Syrup make you drowsy?
Apitat Syrup can make you drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Apitat Syrup doses?
Apitat Syrup is usually administered after a gap of 4-6 hours after the first dose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course must be taken for a complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Apitat Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Apitat Syrup does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Apitat Syrup safe for children?
Apitat Syrup is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Apitat Syrup?
Patients with the history of allergic reaction to any of the ingredients of Apitat Syrup should use it with caution.
Q. Is Apitat Syrup legal in India?
Yes, Apitat Syrup is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.