Table of Contents
- What is Aptimust Syrup?
- Uses of Aptimust Syrup
- How does Aptimust Syrup work?
- How to take Aptimust Syrup?
- Common Dosage for Aptimust Syrup
- When to Avoid Aptimust Syrup?
- Precautions While Taking Aptimust Syrup
- Side-Effects of Aptimust Syrup
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Aptimust Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Aptimust Syrup
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Aptimust
- Authored by –
1What is Aptimust Syrup?
Used predominantly as an appetite stimulant in cases of low appetite and also used to treat cases of mild allergic symptoms like watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose etc. Dry mouth, sleepiness, and drowsiness are the common side effects of this drug. Aptimust syrup should never be used in cases of glaucoma, bowel blockage or gastric ulcer patients.
Aptimust Composition: Cyproheptadine 2mg + Sorbitol 2gm + Tricholine Citrate 275mg/5ml.
Manufactured By: Mankind Pharma Ltd.
Prescription: Not required, available as over the counter drug (OTC)
Price: Rs. 110.00 for 200 ml Syrup.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antihistamine + Appetite Stimulant
2Uses of Aptimust Syrup
Aptimust is used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like:
- Allergic Symptoms: Used to treat or provide relief in allergic symptoms like:
- Watery eyes: Used in cases of watery eyes, as it decreases the secretion in the body
- Sneezing: Used to control or treat sneezing.
- Runny nose: Used to treat cold and other symptoms like running nose etc.
- Itchy eyes: Used to treat itching as it is anti histaminic in nature.
- Appetite Stimulant: Used mainly to manage and stimulate low appetite especially in children, as Aptimust syrup boosts the appetite.
Know More: Cetrifos Tablet Uses
3How does Aptimust Syrup work?
- Aptimust is contains Cyproheptadine, Sorbitol and Tricholine Citrate as its main active ingredient.
- Cyproheptadine is antihistamine in nature and acts on the release of histamine (chemical messenger) and blocks histamine, which further inhibits the allergic process in the body, providing relief from the allergic symptoms like watery eyes, runny nose etc.
- Cyproheptadine also acts by blocking the serotonin release in hypothalamus, appetite regulating centre in brain.
- Sorbitol helps in providing relief from constipation as it works as an osmotic laxative.
- Tricholine Citrate exerts lipotropic action on the liver (hepatic) cells and converts the deposited fat into lecithin and other phospholipids.
- Lecithin forms the major part of high-density lipoprotein which helps in mobilizing the cell membrane cholesterol.
- Therefore, Aptimust syrup helps in stimulating appetite as well as manages the allergic symptoms.
Also Read: Asthalin Expectorant Plus Composition
4How to take Aptimust Syrup?
- Aptimust is available in the form of Syrup and Drops.
- Aptimust syrup can be consumed orally with or without meals as food has no affect on the drug absorption rate.
- Always shake the bottle of syrup well before consumption, to have a homogenous mixture of the drug.
- A measuring cup is to be used for consuming the prescribed dose of the drug.
- Aptimust syrup should preferably be consumed before going to bed at night as it can cause sedation and can affect your routine if consumed during the daytime.
- Evenly spaced time intervals between two doses should be maintained.
- The dose should not be altered in any form without the proper guidance of the doctor.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the drug package for better understanding about the Do’s and don’ts of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Aptimust Syrup
- The dosage of the drug can be decided by the doctor as per the: Weight, Age, Mental status of the patient, Severity of the condition being treated
- Usually recommended a dose of Aptimust syrup is 8-10ml (1-2 tablespoons) 1-2 times a day or as advised by the doctor depending on the condition being treated.
- Before administering the drug to children, it is always advisable to consult a paediatrician.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Aptimust Syrup?
Overdose of any drug may increase the chances of serious side effects like excessive sleepiness, drowsiness. Therefore, it is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose of the drug and immediately consult the medical team in case of any signs of a drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Aptimust Syrup?
One should consume the missed dose as soon as he/she remembers but try to avoid taking the missed dose if it’s time for the next dose as it may lead to a drug overdose.
Missing a dose is not recommended and one should strictly adhere to the dosing schedule.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Aptimust Syrup?
A single dose of expired Aptimust is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Aptimust Syrup and till when does the effect of Aptimust stay?
- The onset of action and relief in symptoms vary with every patient and condition being treated.
- The patient may start to feel recovered within the first week with the Aptimust therapy.
- The dose and duration of drug as advised by the doctor should be followed strictly for the complete cessation of all the symptoms.
6When to Avoid Aptimust Syrup?
Do not Consume Aptimust:
- Allergy: In cases of allergic history or present condition of allergy to Aptimust or any of its ingredients.
- Gastric ulcer: In cases of patients with gastric ulcer.
- Glaucoma: In cases of patients with narrow angle glaucoma.
- Kidney disorders: In cases of patients with severe kidney disease or impairment.
- Dialysis: In cases of patients undergoing hemodialysis.
- Infants: In cases of premature infants or newborn, this drug should be avoided.
- Prostatic Hyperplasia: In cases of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia.
7Precautions While Taking Aptimust Syrup
- Allergic reaction: In case of any allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Dose Alteration: Don’t alter/change the schedule of the dose as per your own convenience.
- Drug consumption: Aptimust should be taken preferably at night before going to bed as it can cause sedation.
Warnings When Taking Aptimust Syrup
- Shake the bottle of syrup well before use, for proper homogenous drug content.
- Don’t alter the dose without proper medical advice.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the package of drug to have better understanding about the drug.
8Side-Effects of Aptimust Syrup
The side effects associated with Aptimust used for different treatments are:
- Sedation (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Blurred vision (rare)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
- Low Blood Pressure (less common)
- Light headedness (common)
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Lethargy (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Aptimust?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Aptimust are:
- Rashes on skin (less common)
- Itchiness (less common)
- Rashes. (less common)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Aptimust Syrup on organs?
- Aptimust syrup should be used with caution and after proper medical consultation in cases of patients with liver and kidney diseases.
- In such cases, dose modification by the doctor is advisable.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
A patient should be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Aptimust. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Aptimust. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Aptimust Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Aptimust Syrup
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)– Alcohol can aggravate the sedative effect of Aptimust Syrup
- Theophylline (mild)
- Ritonavir (mild)
- Sedatives (severe) – can double the sedative effect.
- MAO inhibitors (mild)
- Tranquilizers (moderate)–can aggravate the sedative effect of Aptimust Syrup
- Anisindione (moderate)
- Bendrofluazide (mild)
- Fluoxetine (mild) – can aggravate sedative effect.
- Dicumarol (mild)
- Carvedilol (mild)
3. Effects of Aptimust Syrup on Lab Tests
Aptimust syrup does not affect any laboratory tests as such.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Moderate to severe kidney diseases, glaucoma or peptic ulcer.
Q. Can I have Aptimust Syrup with alcohol?
No. Aptimust syrup, when consumed with alcohol, can double the sedative effect which can prove to be harmful for the patients. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Aptimust.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Aptimust Syrup when pregnant?
Aptimust should be consumed by pregnant women only if specified by the doctor. Therefore, always notify the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Aptimust Syrup when feeding a baby?
Risks and benefits of Aptimust should be discussed before administering it to lactating women as its excretion in human breast milk is not known. The doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Aptimust Syrup?
Aptimust can cause drowsiness as a side effect and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Aptimust.
Read About: Adialka Syrup Side Effects | Becovit Forte Side Effects
10Buyer’s Guide – Aptimust Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
|Aptimust Variants||Aptimust Composition||Aptimust Price|
|Aptimust 15ml Drops||Cyproheptadine 1.5mg + Tricholine Citrate 55mg/1ml||Rs. 27.50 for 1 Pack|
Checkout the exciting offers: Practo Coupons | Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers
11Substitutes of Aptimust Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Aptimust:
- Cypon 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Geno Pharma.
- Price – Rs. 98
- Choliv 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Caplet.
- Price – Rs. 71.05
- Apitat 30ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Lupin Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 85
- Normatone 210ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 105
Storage requirements for Aptimust Syrup
- The drug should be stored below 25°C and should be kept in a cool, dry place and away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Keep the drug in a place, where it is out of reach of children and do not freeze the drug.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Aptimust
Q. What is Aptimust Syrup?
Ans. Aptimust is basically a multi-component drug composed of Cyproheptadine, Sorbitol, and Tricholine Citrate as its main active ingredients and is used to treat allergic symptoms like watery eyes, runny nose, etc and also used to increase the appetite.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Aptimust Syrup to show results?
Ans. Aptimust starts to show its effect in the first week of therapy.
Q. Should Aptimust Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. It can be consumed empty stomach but it is advisable to avoid consuming it empty stomach in cases of pre-existing gastric problems.
Q. Does Aptimust Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Aptimust can drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Aptimust Syrup Tablets?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 8-10 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Aptimust toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Yes, it is necessary to complete the whole prescribed dose of Aptimust even if the symptoms disappear. One should never stop Aptimust without consulting with the doctor.
Q. Does Aptimust Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Aptimust Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Aptimust can be administered to children after consultation with the paediatrician. Variants of same drug are available for paediatric population.
Q. Are there any symptoms/diseases that I should consider before taking Aptimust Syrup?
Ans. Any kidney diseases, glaucoma are to be taken into consideration before taking Aptimust Syrup.
Q. Is Aptimust Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored by –