Table of Contents
- 1 What is Artesunate?
- 2 Uses of Artesunate
- 3 How Does Artesunate Work?
- 4 How to Take Artesunate?
- 5 Artesunate Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Artesunate?
- 7 When to Avoid Artesunate?
- 8 Side-Effects of Artesunate
- 9 Effects of Artesunate on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Artesunate
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Artesunate addictive?
- 15 Can I have Artesunate with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Artesunate when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Artesunate when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Artesunate?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Artesunate?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Artesunate?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Artesunate?
- 23 Storage Requirements
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Artesunate
What is Artesunate?
Artesunate is an antiparasitic drug used in parasitic infection of the body.
Uses of Artesunate
- Treatment resistant malaria
Also Read: Ceftazidime Uses | Chloramphenicol Uses | Supradyn Uses
How Does Artesunate Work?
Artesunate acts by increasing the production of free radicals within the body of parasite which destroys their body functions thereby killing them.
How to Take Artesunate?
Artesunate tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are prescribed with injectable form then your health care provider will directly administer Artesunate into your veins by injection or infusion. You may consume Artesunate on an empty or full stomach.
Artesunate Price In India
|50 mg Strip of 12 Tablets||Rs 225|
Also Read: Azathioprine Price | Calciumgluconate Price
Common Dosage for Artesunate?
Artesunate is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Artesunate?
Avoid Artesunate if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have kidney disease
- You have liver impairment
- If you have irregular heart rhythm
Side-Effects of Artesunate
- Appetite loss
- Kidney damage
- Reduced heart rate
- Abdominal pain
- Low blood cell count
- Liver problems
Also Read: Amphotericin B Side Effect | Ampicillin Side Effect
Effects of Artesunate on Organs?
Long term use of Artesunate is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Artesunate are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Effects/Results After Consuming Artesunate
The effect of Artesunate can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your malarial symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Artesunate
Is Artesunate addictive?
Artesunate is not addictive in nature
Can I have Artesunate with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Artesunate. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Artesunate causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Artesunate when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Artesunate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Artesunate when feeding a baby?
This drug is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Artesunate while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Artesunate?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Artesunate. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Artesunate?
Overdose of Artesunate will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Artesunate?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Artesunate, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Artesunate?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Artesunate at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the injectable solution in a refrigerator
- Keep Artesunate away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Artesunate
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Artesunate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- This medication should only be used if you have severe malaria
- Do not use Artesunate for preventing malaria
Other medicine to read: Cefotaxime