Table of Contents
- What is Ascoril LS Syrup?
- Uses of Ascoril LS Syrup
- How does Ascoril LS Syrup work?
- What are the effects of Ascoril LS Syrup tablets on organs?
- How to take Ascoril LS Syrup?
- Common Dosage for Ascoril LS Syrup
- When to Avoid Ascoril LS Syrup?
- Precautions and warnings while Taking Ascoril LS Syrup
- Side-Effects of Ascoril LS Syrup
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Ascoril LS Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Ascoril LS Syrup
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ascoril LS Syrup
- Authored By –
1What is Ascoril LS Syrup?
Used mainly as a mucolytic agent to treat conditions like Asthma, chest congestion, and sore throat. Increased heart rate and tremors are the major side effect which occurs at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver diseases and in pregnant or lactating women.
Ascoril LS Syrup Composition: Guaifenesin 50mg + Ambroxol 15mg + Levosalbutamol 5mg
Manufactured By: Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Price: Rs. 90 for a 100ml bottle
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months (when stored at the cool place)
Type of Drug: Mucolytic agent.
2Uses of Ascoril LS Syrup
Ascoril LS Syrup is used to prevent or treat various symptoms like
- Common cold
- A cough
- Chest congestion
- Stuffy nose
All the above symptoms are caused by the following conditions
Also read: Bifilac Uses | Calcirol Uses | Candid B Uses
3How does Ascoril LS Syrup work?
- Ascoril LS syrup contains Ambroxol which is a mucolytic agent.
- It breaks down sputum’s mucopolysaccharide fibers & further makes the mucous thin and loose making it easier to cough out.
- Guaifenesin in Ascoril LS is an expectorant which helps to increase bronchial secretion.
- It reduces the viscosity and facilitates removal of mucus through coughing.
- Levosalbutamol in Ascoril LS acts as a bronchodilator.
- It helps to relax the muscles in the airway and facilitates easier breathing
4What are the effects of Ascoril LS Syrup tablets on organs?
- In cases of liver and kidney impairments, dose adjustment may be required by the physician.
- In the case of unwanted symptoms, a doctor should be consulted immediately.
5 How to take Ascoril LS Syrup?
- Before consuming, shake the bottle well for a homogenous mix of medication and use a measuring cup to measure an advised dose.
- It can be consumed with or without food.
- It is advised to drink plenty of fluid to make mucus loose and aid its removal
- The medicine should be taken at fixed timings
- The leaflet should be read thoroughly before using it as an over the counter drug
6Common Dosage for Ascoril LS Syrup
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the, Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common dose of Ascoril LS Syrup is two to three times a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Dosage is also decided by the physician as per the condition of the patient.
- The dose should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- The doctor should be informed if symptoms persist or worsens.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ascoril LS Syrup?
An overdose of Ascoril LS Syrup can increase the chances of some serious side effects in some cases. The doctor or trained medical staff should be consulted immediately in case of Ascoril LS Syrup overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ascoril LS Syrup?
Ascoril LS Syrup may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Ascoril LS Syrup should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ascoril LS Syrup?
A single dose of expired Ascoril LS Syrup is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Ascoril LS Syrup and till when does the effect of Ascoril LS Syrup stay?
- The patient may start to feel recovered within 1-3 days of treatment.
- A complete course of the drug should be done unless stated otherwise by the doctor
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Ascoril LS Syrup.
Also read: Azithral 500 Dosage | Becadexamine Capsule Dosage
7When to Avoid Ascoril LS Syrup?
Do not Consume Ascoril LS Syrup:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Ascoril LS Syrup or any of its ingredients.
- Lactating women: In cases of lactating/ nursing mothers.
- Liver diseases: In known cases of a history of moderate to severe liver diseases.
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy, Ascoril LS Syrup should be avoided.
8 Precautions and warnings while Taking Ascoril LS Syrup
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
9Side-Effects of Ascoril LS Syrup
The side effects associated with Ascoril LS Syrup used for different treatments are:
- Drowsiness – common
- Dizziness – common
- Nausea – Less common
- Vomiting – Less common
- Loss of appetite – Less common
- Lightheadedness – Less common
- Stomach Ache – Less common
- Dry mouth – Less common
- Increased heart rate – Less common
- Tremors – Less common
- Skin rashes – Less common
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ascoril LS Syrup?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Ascoril LS Syrup are:
- Rashes – less common
- Swelling of eyes, face, lips, mouth or tongue – less common
- Breathlessness – common
10Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Ascoril LS Syrup. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Ascoril LS Syrup. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ascoril LS Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ascoril LS Syrup
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Anisindione (mild)
- Bendrofluazide (moderate)
- Dicumarol (mild)
- Carvedilol (mild)
3. Effects of Ascoril LS Syrup on Lab Tests
Ascoril LS Syrup does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Ascoril LS Syrup interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Q. Can I have Ascoril LS Syrup with alcohol?
No, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Ascoril LS Syrup.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Ascoril LS Syrup when pregnant?
No, Ascoril LS Syrup should be avoided during pregnancy and the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Ascoril LS Syrup when feeding a baby?
Ascoril LS Syrup should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers as the effects of its constituents on quantity and quality of milk production is unknown.
Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Ascoril LS Syrup?
Yes, as Ascoril LS Syrup does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occurs after taking Ascoril LS Syrup.
Also Read - Dolo 650 MG Tablet | Caripill Tablet | Ceftum 500 MG Tablet
11 Buyer’s Guide – Ascoril LS Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
|Ascoril LS Syrup Variants||Ascoril LS Syrup Composition||Ascoril LS Price|
|Ascoril LS 100ML Syrup||Ambroxol 30MG + Guaifenesin 50MG + Levosalbutamol 1MG/5ML||Rs.94.5|
|Ascoril LS 15ML Drops||Ambroxol 7.5MG + Guaifenesin12.5MG + Levosalbutamol 0.25MG||Rs.53|
|Ascoril LS Junior 60ML Syrup||Ambroxol 15MG + Guaifenesin 50MG + Levosalbutamol 0.5MG/5ML||Rs.69|
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off: Medlife Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons | Pinhealth Coupons
12Substitutes of Ascoril LS Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Ascoril LS Syrup:
- Emcoril 100ml syrup:
- Manufactured by – Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 80
- Asthalin Expectorant Plus 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd
- Price – 65
- Bro-Zedex LS 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Wockhardt
- Price – Rs. 100
Storage requirements for Ascoril LS Syrup
- Store the drug at room temperature and do not freeze
- Keep in a place where it is out of reach of children.
13FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ascoril LS Syrup
Q. What is Ascoril LS Syrup?
Ans. Ascoril LS is a combination drug available in different forms, used as a mucolytic agent. It is used to treat different conditions like congestion of chest, asthma, acute sore throat etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ascoril LS Syrup to show results?
Ans. Ascoril LS Syrup shows its effect within 1-3 days of treatment.
Q. Should Ascoril LS Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Ascoril LS Syrup should preferably be taken with or after food for better absorption.
Q. Does Ascoril LS Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Ascoril LS Syrup might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ascoril LS Syrup doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Ascoril LS Syrup toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ascoril LS Syrup should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and should not be unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ascoril LS Syrup.
Q. Does Ascoril LS Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consults the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Ascoril LS Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Ascoril LS Syrup is safe for children and is available in different composition for the paediatric population. Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ascoril LS Syrup?
Ans. In cases of liver disorders, Ascoril LS Syrup should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Ascoril LS Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
14Authored By –