Table of Contents
- What is Ascovent?
- Uses of Ascovent
- How does Ascovent work?
- How to take Ascovent?
- Ascovent Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Ascovent?
- Side-Effects of Ascovent:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Ascovent Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Ascovent
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ascovent
- Authored By –
1What is Ascovent?
It is mainly used as a mucolytic agent to treat conditions like Asthma, chest congestion and breathing difficulty. Blood pressure fluctuations and Drowsiness are the major side effect which occurs at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver, kidney or heart diseases.
Ascovent Composition: Acebrophylline 100mg
Manufactured By: Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Form: Capsule, Tablets and Syrup
Price: Rs. 101.00 for 10 Capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months (when stored at cool place)
Type of Drug: Mucolytic agent.
2Uses of Ascovent
Ascovent is used to prevent or treat various symptoms like
- Chest congestion
- Breathing difficulty
All the above symptoms are caused by the following conditions
3How does Ascovent work?
- Ascovent contains Acebrophylline as its main active ingredient.
- Acebrophylline is a compound made of Ambroxol and Theophylline.
- Acebrophylline makes the mucous thin and loose making it easier to cough out.
- It helps to relax the smooth muscles in the airway and facilitates easier breathing
4How to take Ascovent?
- Ascovent is available in the form of capsules and syrups.
- Ascovent capsules can be taken orally with a glass of water, preferably after meals.
- Capsules should never be crushed or chewed, but should be swallowed as a whole instead.
- Before consuming syrup, shake the bottle well for homogenous mix of medication and use measuring cup to measure advised dose.
- It can be consumed with or without food, preferably with or after food to avoid any gastric problems.
- It is advised to drink plenty of fluid to make mucus loose and aid its removal
- The medicine should be taken at fixed timings
- The leaflet should be read thoroughly before using it as an over the counter drug.
5Ascovent Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common dose of Ascovent capsule is a single capsule of 100mg twice a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Dosage is also decided by the physician as per the condition of the patient.
- The dose should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- The doctor should be informed if symptoms persist or worsens.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ascovent?
Overdose of Ascovent can increase the chances of some serious side effects in some cases. The doctor or trained medical staff should be consulted immediately in case of Ascovent overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ascovent?
Ascovent may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Ascovent should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ascovent?
A single dose of expired Ascovent is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Ascovent?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect is 1-2 hours.
Q. Till when does the effect of Ascovent stay?
- Complete course of drug should be done unless stated otherwise by the doctor
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Ascovent.
6When to Avoid Ascovent?
Do not Consume Ascovent:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Ascovent or any of its ingredients or any xanthine derivative.
- Heart problems: In cases of known history of heart attack, irregular heart rhythm.
- Liver diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe liver diseases.
- Kidney diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe kidney diseases.
Precautions and warnings while Taking Ascovent:
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
- Low Blood Pressure: Try to avoid this drug in cases of low blood pressure.
- Caffeine intake: Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
- Avoid Smoking: Avoid smoking while using this drug.
7Side-Effects of Ascovent:
The side effects associated with Ascovent used for different treatments are:
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (less common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
- BP Fluctuations (less common)
- Fever (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ascovent ?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Ascovent are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyes, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness (common)
What are the effects of Ascovent tablets on organs?
In cases of liver and kidney impairments, dose adjustment maybe required by the physician.
8Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Ascovent . These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Ascovent . We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ascovent
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ascovent
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Azithromycin (mild)
- Erythromycin (mild)
- Lincomycin (mild)
- Clindamycin (mild)
- Oxytetracycline (mild)
- Propranolol (moderate)
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Allopurinol (moderate)
- Cimetidine (mild)
- Cephalexin (moderate)
- Carbamezipine (mild)
- Anticoagulants (mild)
3. Effects of Ascovent on Lab Tests
Ascovent does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Ascovent’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
liver, kidney and heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Ascovent with alcohol?
No, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Ascovent .
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
Q. Can I have Ascovent when pregnant?
No, Ascovent should be avoided during pregnancy and the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Ascovent when feeding a baby?
No, Ascovent should only be if necessary and should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers as the effects of its constituents on quantity and quality of milk production is unknown. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Ascovent?
No, as Ascovent can cause drowsiness therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occurs after taking Ascovent.
9Buyer’s Guide – Ascovent Composition, Variant and Price
|Ascovent SR 200mg Tablet||Acebrophylline 200mg||Rs. 180.50 for 10 Tablets|
|Ascovent LS 100ml Expectorant||Ambroxol 30MG + Guaifenesin 50MG + Levosalbutamol 1MG/5ml||Rs.90.00 for 1 pack|
|Ascovent 100ML Syrup||Acebrophylline 50mg/5ml||Rs. 107.30 for 1 pack|
|Ascovent DX 650mg Tablet||Doxofylline 650mg||Rs. 115.00 for 10 tablets|
10Substitutes of Ascovent
The following are alternative drugs for Ascovent:
- Bigbro tablet:
- Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 97
- AB-Flo Capsule:
- Manufactured by Lupin Ltd
- Price- Rs.117.85
- Brophyle Capsule:
- Manufactured by Zuventus Healthcare Ltd
- Price- Rs. 88.05
- Ablife 100mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by Orris Pharma
- Price- Rs. 99
Storage requirements for Ascovent
- Store the drug at room temperature and do not freeze
- Keep in place where it is out of reach of children
11FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ascovent
Q. What is Ascovent?
Ans. Ascoril LS is a combination drug available in different forms, used as a mucolytic agent. It is used to treat different conditions like congestion of chest, asthma etc.
Q. What are the uses of Ascovent ?
Ans. Ascovent works for Blockage, Swelling, Cough, Chest congestion, Breathing difficulty
Q. What are the side effects of Ascovent ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Ascovent are Drowsiness, Dizziness, Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Headache, Breathing difficulty, BP Fluctuations, Fever
Q. How long does it take for Ascovent to show results?
Ans. Ascovent shows its affect within 1-2 hours of administration.
Q. Should Ascovent be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Ascovent should preferably be taken with or after food for better absorption.
Q. Does Ascovent make you drowsy?
Ans. Ascovent might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ascovent doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Ascovent toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ascovent should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and should not be unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ascovent .
Q. Does Ascovent effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Ascovent safe for children?
Ans. Ascovent is safe for children and is available in different composition for the paediatric population. Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ascovent ?
Ans. In cases of liver disorders, Ascovent should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Ascovent legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
12Authored By –