Table of Contents
- 1 What is Asthalin?
- 2 Uses of Asthalin
- 3 How does Asthalin work?
- 4 How to Take Asthalin?
- 5 Common Dosage for Asthalin
- 6 When to avoid Asthalin?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Asthalin
- 8 Side-Effects of Asthalin
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Asthalin
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Asthalin
- 9.3 3. Effects of Asthalin on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Asthalin with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Asthalin when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Asthalin when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Asthalin?
- 10 Asthalin – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Substitutes of Asthalin
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Asthalin
- 12.1 Q. What is Asthalin?
- 12.2 Q. What are the uses of Asthalin?
- 12.3 Q. What are the side effects of Asthalin?
- 12.4 Q. Should Asthalin be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.5 Q. Does Asthalin make you drowsy?
- 12.6 Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Asthalin doses?
- 12.7 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.8 Q. Does Asthalin effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.9 Q. Is Asthalin safe for children?
- 12.10 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Asthalin?
What is Asthalin?
Asthalin belongs to “bronchodilator” group of drugs used for the treatment of bronchospasm (constriction of airway muscles) in Asthma and COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) patients. The active ingredient of Asthalin is Salbutamol (2mg/5ml). Asthalin should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to adverse effects like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and palpitations.
Asthalin Composition- Salbutamol 2mg/5ml
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Syrup
Price – Rs. 16.22
Type of Drug –cough syrup
Uses of Asthalin
Asthalin can be used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Bronchitis – Salbutamol relaxes and widens the airway and makes breathing easier.
- Asthma (acute and maintenance phase)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
How does Asthalin work?
Asthalin contains Salbutamol as its active ingredient which is a bronchodilator and works by relaxing the muscles of airways and widening the airways in the lungs which makes breathing easier.
Know About: Adialka Syrup Composition
How to Take Asthalin?
- Asthalin is available in syrup form for oral administration and should be taken in a dose, form, and duration as advised by your doctor.
- Asthalin syrup should usually be administered empty stomach or as advised by your doctor.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication-measuring device and not a household spoon should be used.
- Shake the bottle well before each use when used in syrup form.
Common Dosage for Asthalin
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The common recommended dose in adults is 5-10ml of Asthalin per day taken in 2-3 divided doses.
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. For best results, it should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- Children below 12 years of age should use it with caution.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Asthalin?
Asthalin should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects like palpitations and tremors. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Asthalin?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Asthalin?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Asthalin?
Asthalin syrup provides relief within 30 minutes after oral administration whereas inhaler starts acting immediately within 5 minutes.
Q. Till when does the effect of Asthalin stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is 3-6 hours.
Read About: Alkakem Syrup Dosage
When to avoid Asthalin?
Asthalin should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Asthalin.
- Liver Disease – Patients with severe liver disease must consult the physician before use.
- Kidney disease – Patients with severe kidney disease or on dialysis must consult the physician before use.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women – Pregnant and breastfeeding women must consult the physician before the use of Asthalin.
- Patients with a seizure disorder – Asthalin should be administered with caution as there is increased risk of frequency and severity of convulsions.
Precautions While Taking Asthalin
- Patients with heart disease or previous history of heart disease should use Asthalin with caution as Salbutamol is associated with changes in blood pressure and heart rate.
- Few Patients using Asthalin reported an increase in blood glucose levels so precaution must be exercised while using it in diabetic patients.
Also Read: Asthalin Expectorant Plus Precaution
Side-Effects of Asthalin
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Nausea (common)
- Headache (common)
- Palpitations (less common)
- Increased heart rate (rare)
- Tremors (rare)
- Nervousness (less common)
- Restlessness (rare)
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping) (less common)
- Muscle cramps (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Asthalin?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Asthalin on organs?
- Heart – Asthalin should be used cautiously in patients with heart disease as it may lead to an increase in heart rate and blood pressure.
- Kidney – Asthalin should be used cautiously in patients with kidney disease. In severe cases, dose adjustment as advised by the doctor may also be needed.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Asthalin. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Asthalin
No particular food item to be avoided apart from alcohol as it may cause liver damage and may increase the incidence of dizziness.
2. Medicines Interactions with Asthalin
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Atenolol (moderate)
- Formoterol (moderate)
- Propanolol (severe)
- Amitriptyline (moderate)
- Digoxin (moderate)
- Furosemide (moderate)
3. Effects of Asthalin on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Asthalin.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing heart, liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Asthalin.
Q. Can I have Asthalin with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Asthalin as it might increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness & calmness.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Asthalin when pregnant?
Asthalin should be avoided in pregnancy as animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus and human studies have been limited. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations
Q. Can I have Asthalin when feeding a baby?
Asthalin is safe to use while lactation. However, it is always better to consult your doctor for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I drive after taking Asthalin?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness or changes in blood pressure, then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Read More: Cetrifos Tablet Side Effects
Asthalin – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Asthalin Variants||Asthalin Composition||Asthalin Price
|Asthalin AX||Guaifenesin – 50mg/5ml,Ambroxol – 30mg/5ml, Levosalbutamol – 1mg/5ml||Rs. 78.65|
|Asthalin 2mg syrup||Salbutamol 2mg||Rs. 5.04|
|Asthalin inhaler||Salbutamol 100mcg||Rs. 133.44|
|Asthalin Rotacps||Salbutamol/Albuterol (200mcg)||Rs. 19.66|
Buy Smart & Save Money: Practo Offers | Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Substitutes of Asthalin
The following are alternative drugs for Asthalin:
- Manufactured by – Pharmadesh laboratories Ltd
Storage requirements for Asthalin
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Asthalin
Q. What is Asthalin?
Salbutamol is the active ingredient of Asthalin. Asthalin belongs to “bronchodilator” group of drugs used for the treatment of bronchospasm (constriction of airway muscles) in Asthma and COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) patients.
Q. What are the uses of Asthalin?
Asthalin is commonly used in the prevention of Chronic disorders like Bronchitis, Asthma etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Asthalin?
Side effects include Nausea, Headache, Dizziness these are among the common side effects. Other less common side effects include Palpitations, Nervousness, Insomnia, and Muscle cramps.
Q. Should Asthalin be taken on an empty stomach?
Asthalin can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Asthalin make you drowsy?
Yes. It does make you drowsy and less oriented in certain cases.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Asthalin doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Asthalin.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Asthalin effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Asthalin does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Asthalin safe for children?
Asthalin is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Asthalin?
Patients with a history of allergy to Asthalin and its ingredients should not use it. Asthalin should also not be used with beta blockers.
Q. Is Asthalin legal in India?
Yes, Asthalin is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.