Table of Contents
- What is Ativan?
- Uses of Ativan
- How does Ativan work?
- How to take Ativan?
- Price of Ativan In India:
- Common dosage of Ativan
- When to avoid Ativan & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Ativan
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Ativan
- Pro Tips when taking Ativan
- Is Ativan addictive?
- Can I have Ativan with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ativan when pregnant?
- Can I have Ativan when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ativan?
- What happens if I overdose on Ativan?
- What happens if I eat expired Ativan?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Ativan?
Ativan Composition – Lorazepam (1mg)
Manufactured By – Pfizer Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 32
Quantity – 10 in a Strip
What is Ativan?
- Ativan is an anticonvulsant indicated to relieve the symptoms of anxiety or anxiety associated with depressive symptoms.
- The effectiveness of Ativan in long-term use has not been assessed by systematic clinical studies.
Uses of Ativan
Ativan is prescribed for:
- Status Epilepticus
How does Ativan work?
- Ativan belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves to produce a calming effect.
- Ativan mainly works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).
Also Read: Fibator Composition | Gefitinib Composition
How to take Ativan?
- Ativan is administered orally in the form of tablet.
- The dosage should be increased gradually and when higher dosage is indicated, the evening dose should be increased before the daytime doses.
- Ativan can also be administered via injection, intramuscularly.
Price of Ativan In India:
|Ativan 2mg, Strip of 30 Tablets||Rs. 77.72|
|Ativan 1mg,Strip of 30 Tablets||Rs. 64.02|
Common dosage of Ativan
- The usual dose range is 2 to 6 mg every day given in divided doses, the largest dose being taken before bedtime, but the daily dosage may vary from 1 to 10 mg per day.
- For anxiety, an initial dose of 2 to 3 mg per day may be given twice or thrice a day.
- For insomnia due to anxiety or transient situational stress, a single dose of 2 to 4 mg may be given daily, usually at bedtime.
- For elderly patients, an initial dosage of 1 to 2 mg per day in divided doses is recommended.
Also Read: Encorate Dosage
When to avoid Ativan & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Ativan if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Consumption of alcohol or performing activities that require mental alertness is not recommended while receiving this medicine.
- Prolonged use of this medicine may increase the risk of habit forming tendency.
- Sudden withdrawal of Ativan may cause symptoms like convulsions, behavioral disorder, tremor, and anxiety.
- Ativan is not recommended in the patients with narrow-angle glaucoma or with depression.
- Elderly patients need to take caution due to the increased risk of sedation and muscle weakness.
Side Effects of Ativan
- Agitation and anxiety
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Rapid weight gain
- Shaking of hands or feet
Also Read: Kidpred Sideeffects | Kofarest Sideeffects
Effect on organs?
- Nervous system reactions- Sedation, anterograde amnesia, ataxia, daytime drowsiness, dizziness, unsteadiness.
- Other reactions- Asthenia, fatigue, weakness, chills, sobbing.
- Psychiatric reactions- Acute brain syndrome, nervousness.
- Respiratory reactions- Apnea, respiratory disorder, respiratory failure, lung hemorrhage, pneumothorax, pulmonary hypertension.
- Cardiovascular reactions- Hypotension, arrhythmia, bradycardia, heart arrest/failure, heart block, pericardial effusion, tachycardia, ventricular arrhythmia.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Muscle weakness.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Constipation, nausea, salivation changes.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face, throat or hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Ativan produce increased CNS-depressant effects when administered with other CNS depressants such as barbiturates, antipsychotics, sedative/hypnotics, anxiolytics, antidepressants, narcotic analgesics, sedative antihistamines, anticonvulsants, and anesthetics.
- Administering clozapine and ativan together may produce marked sedation, excessive salivation, hypotension, ataxia, delirium, and respiratory arrest.
- Concomitant administration of ativan with valproate results in increased plasma concentrations and reduced clearance of ativan.
- Ativan when given with probenecid may result in a more rapid onset or prolonged effect of ativan due to increased half-life and decreased total clearance.
- Administration of theophylline or aminophylline may reduce the sedative effects of ativan.
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 hours after an oral dose and 3 hours after an intramuscular injection and usually lasts for an average duration of 24 to 36 hours.
Storage Requirements for Ativan
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Ativan
- Ativan can be taken with or without food and also as a split dose, with the largest dose just before bedtime when used to relieve anxiety.
- Ativan may cause sleepiness. Thus avoid driving if Ativan has this effect on you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may enhance the side effects of sedation and respiratory depression.
Is Ativan addictive?
Can I have Ativan with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No; not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Ativan when pregnant?
Can I have Ativan when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Ativan?
What happens if I overdose on Ativan?
Overdose of Ativan may cause extreme drowsiness, confusion, and muscle weakness, loss of balance or coordination, feeling light-headed and fainting.
What happens if I eat expired Ativan?
Expired Ativan may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ativan?
If you miss a dose of Ativan, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.