What is Atorvastatin?
- Atorvastatin belongs to “Statin” group of drugs which are primarily used for the treatment of high blood cholesterol levels.
- Atorvastatin is most commonly used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- High cholesterol
- Prevention of myocardial infarction
- Prevention of stoke
- Cardiovascular diseases
- High triglycerides
- Atorvastatin may also be used for purpose not mentioned above.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines | Netmeds Medicines
How does Atorvastatin work?
- Atorvastatin is HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor which limits the cholesterol synthesis in liver by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which is a rate limiting enzyme.
- Atorvastatins administration along with proper diet control can help lower bad cholesterol (VLDL, LDL) and fats (triglycerides) and raise good cholesterol (HDL) in blood.
- Lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides and raising good cholesterol reduces the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
- The effects of this medicine are further increased by following proper diet, making life style changes like quitting smoking, losing weight and exercising.
Atorvastatin Price in India
|5 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 41.50|
|10 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 56.94|
|20 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 172.00|
Also Read: Clotrimazole Price | Clopidogre Price
How to Take Atorvastatin?
- Atorvastatin is available in tablet form in the range of 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 40mg and 80mg.
- When taken in oral form, it is advised to take this medicine with food or immediately after food at a fixed time daily.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- Patients with high cholesterol do not usually have any symptoms, so continue to use even if you feel well until your doctor tells you to stop.
- It is important to follow other instructions and bring life style changes like weight reduction, exercise, eating healthy diet along with administration of statins.
Common Dosage & when to take Atorvastatin?
- The dose and duration of treatment with Atorvastatin depends upon the age of the patient and degree of dyslipidemia.
- The recommended starting dose for adults is one 10-20mg tablet per day.
- The dosage range may vary from one single 10-80mg tablet depending upon the condition of the patient.
- After starting the dose, lipid levels should be constantly monitored every 2-4 weeks in order to increase or decrease the dose.
- In case of children, initial dose is 10mg per day and the maximum dose is up to 20mg per day.
When to avoid Atorvastatin?
Atorvastatin should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with active liver or kidney problem
- Pregnant and breast feeding women
Side effects of Atorvastatin?
- Atorvastatin may produce few side effects, although they may not be seen in all the patients. Few commonly observed side effects include:
- Muscle pain
- Increased blood glucose levels
- Impaired liver functions (loss of appetite, dark coloured urine, yellowing of skin and eyes)
- Joint pain
- Stuffy nose
- In addition it may cause some unwanted allergic side effects.
Also Read: Acyclovir Side Effect | Amikacin Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Atorvastatin with caution and under the observation of a doctor. Discontinue this medicine if liver function is not normal.
- Patients with previous or active muscle disorder need to be monitored carefully before administering Atorvastatin. Symptoms like muscle pain or muscle weakness should be immediately reported.
- Atorvastatin should be used cautiously in diabetics as it has been associated with increased blood glucose levels. Regular monitoring of blood glucose is recommended for such patients.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Allergy with Atorvastatin may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other.
- It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Atorvastatin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include
- Oral contraceptives
- Other cholesterol lowering medicines
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Changes in cholesterol levels are noticed after 2-3 weeks of oral administration. Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised
Is Atorvastatin Addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Atorvastatin with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol along with Atorvastatin increases the chances of liver damage thus concomitant use of atorvastatin with alcohol should be avoided.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Drinking grapefruit juice along with atorvastatins can lead to build up of the drug inside the body and may lead to increased incidence of adverse effects.
- Thus avoid drinking large quantity of grape juice when on Atorvastatins.
Can I have Atorvastatin when Pregnant?
- Atorvastatin are contraindicated in pregnant women as it has shown adverse effects on foetus.
Can I have Atorvastatin when feeding a baby?
- Atorvastatin should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and may lead to adverse effects in foetus.
Can I drive after taking Atorvastatin?
- Atorvastatins do not affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Atorvastatin?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not lower blood cholesterol earlier, it may rather lead to severe side effects.
What happens if I eat expired Atorvastatin?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Atorvastatin?
- Always consume the skipped dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Storage of Atorvastatin
Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Atorvastatin:
- Atorvastatin should be carefully administered in patients with pre-existing muscle weakness, muscle disease, diabetes and active liver disease.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and grape fruit juice when on Atorvastatin as it may change the effects of Atorvastatins.
Also Read: Carbamazepine | Cephalexin