Table of Contents
- What is Augmentin?
- Uses of Augmentin
- How does Augmentin work?
- How to take Augmentin?
- Augmentin Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Augmentin?
- Precautions While Taking Augmentin:
- Side-Effects of Augmentin:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Augmentin Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Augmentin
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Augmentin
- Authored By –
1What is Augmentin?
It is broadly used to treat various minor and some major ailments like UTIs (urinary tract infections) and infections of skin, genitals, ear and nose. Stomach Pain and Diarrhea at repetitive high doses are the major side effect. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney problems as Augmentin is not metabolized properly in such cases and can lead to toxicity.
Augmentin Composition: Amoxicillin 500mg + Clavulanic Acid 125mg
Manufactured By: GlaxoSmithKline.
Form: Tablets, Syrups and Injections.
Price: Rs 188.83 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Augmentin
Augmentin serves a great purpose in the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Urinary Tract Infections: Used in cases of pain in bladder, groin & pelvis, vaginal irritation
- Dental and Oral Infections: Used in cases of swelling in face or cheek, throbbing toothache.
- Respiratory Tract Infections: Used in cases of runny nose, mucus sneezing, sore throat.
- Skin Infections: Used in cases of skin rash, redness or pus filled blisters.
- Sinus Infections: Used in cases of pain in upper jaw/facial pain, nasal congestion.
- Soft Tissue Infections: Used in cases of erythema(redness), edema(swelling) of affected area
Suggested Read: Amlodipine Uses | C Tax-O Uses | CTor Uses | Dolo 650 Uses
3How does Augmentin work?
- Augmentin contains Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid as its active ingredient.
- Augmentin works by denaturizing the protein of the bacterial cell wall which leads to rupturing of the wall and contents of the cell thereby killing the bacterial cell.
- Antibiotics are sometimes proven ineffective by Beta-lactamase enzymes secreted by bacterial cell for its protection.
- Therefore, Clavulanic Acid is added to amoxicillin, which inhibits the Beta-lactamase enzymes secreted by bacterial cells and aids amoxicillin to exhibit better action against the bacterial cells.
4How to take Augmentin?
- Augmentin tablet are usually available in tablet form which should be taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually twice a day but the dose can be modified as per the severity of infection or the disease.
- It is advised to take Augmentin with or after having food as the acidic content of empty stomach can affect the pharmacological activity of the drug and can even upset the stomach.
- For best results, Augmentin should be taken at proper time intervals usually 6 hourly in most cases.
- The tablet should not be chewed or crushed but can be broken into two halves to aid swallowing, taking each half one at a time. Any inconvenience while swallowing should be discussed with the doctor.
- The dose should not be discontinued without doctor’s advice even if the symptoms have disappeared.
- It is recommended to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have better understanding about the drug.
5Augmentin Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Three common doses of Augmentin 625 are thrice a day (every 6 hourly), twice a day (every 8 hourly) and once a day (every 12 hourly).
- The above doses are to be decided by the doctor only.
- For better understanding of the drug, it is always advisable to go through the leaflet present in the package of drug.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Augmentin?
Augmentin tablet overdose can cause stomach-ache, diarrhoea, and vomiting. Rashes, itching on skin, hypersensitivity, or dizziness have also been reported in a small number of patients. In the case of overdose, the drug should be discontinued and the consulting physician should be contacted immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Augmentin?
The drug may not exhibit proper effects if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Consume the missed dose always as soon as you remember it. But, do not take a double dose if it’s already time to take the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Augmentin?
The expired antibiotic may not work as it might not be potent enough to produce desirable effects. Consulting physician should be informed regarding the same.
Q. Onset time of Augmentin?
- Augmentin can take 1-2 hours to show its effect after oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Augmentin stay?
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
- Recovery process starts within the first few days of treatment with Augmentin tablet
Suggested Read: Aristozyme Dosage | Avil Dosage
6When to Avoid Augmentin?
Do not Consume Augmentin if:
- Liver or Kidney disorders: In patients having liver or severe kidney problems, as Augmentin is excreted through kidneys and is metabolized by liver and in cases of kidney or liver problem, it will not be able to get metabolized or excreted properly which can lead to its toxicity.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Augmentin or any of its ingredients or history of allergy to penicillin in the past.
- Immuno compromised: In cases of immune compromised patients like HIV/AIDS, Mononucleosis, Leukaemia (ALL type).
- Viral infections: In patients for common cold or flu as these are viral infections and are not cured by Augmentin (as it is an antibiotic).
- Liver disease: In patients having a history of chronic liver disease/jaundice associated with Augmentin in the past.
- Others: In patients who have been receiving BCG live vaccine or typhoid live vaccine orally.
7Precautions While Taking Augmentin:
- Empty Stomach: Augmentin should not be taken empty stomach as it can lead to decreased efficacy of drug as well as stomach upset.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor to avoid overdose of the drug.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap of atleast 4-6 hours is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Augmentin
- The dose of amoxicillin differs in different variants, but the dose of clavulanic acid remains the same (125 mg). Therefore, one must keep in mind that two 250 mg Augmentin tablets are not the same as one 500 mg Augmentin tablets as it may lead to consumption of double amount of Clavulanic Acid.
- To lessen the chances of antibiotic resistance, use of Augmentin should be done only to treat diseases which are strongly suspected to be of bacterial origin.
- Possibility of developing super infections (fungal or bacterial) should be kept in mind during prolonged treatment with Augmentin and if it happens, the drug should be discontinued and appropriate treatment should be undertaken after consulting the doctor.
- Blood examinations, liver and kidney function tests are advised periodically if the patient is on prolonged therapy of Augmentin.
8Side-Effects of Augmentin:
The side effects associated with Augmentin are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Stomachache (common)
- Rashes and itching on skin (less common)
- Vaginal fungal infection (less common)
- Jaundice (less common)
- Easy bleeding (rare)
- Confusion and unusual behaviours or thoughts (rare)
- Loss of appetite (common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Severe form of diarrhoea called Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea which can cause watery, loose stool with a very foul smell. (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Augmentin?
- A serious allergic reaction may/may not occur in patients receiving Augmentin.
- Patients with a known history of Penicillin allergy and/or allergy to multiple allergens are more prone to allergic reactions with Augmentin.
- If case of an allergic reaction, Patient should consult the doctor immediately and should stop the drug as per the doctor’s advice.
What are the effects of Augmentin on organs?
- Augmentin tablet should be used with caution in patients with kidney and liver disease as dose adjustment of Augmentin tablet may be needed.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Augmentin. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Augmentin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Augmentin
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Augmentin
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Probenecid (mild)
- Allupurinol (mild)
- Warfarin and other blood thinners(anti-coagulants) (mild)
- Exanatide (mild)
- Chloroquine (mild)
- Methotrexate (as Augmentin625 may reduce the excretion of methotrexate leading to its toxicity): (Severe)
- Mycophenolate mofetil (mild)
- Magnesium Citrate (mild)
- Proton pump inhibitors such as rabeprazole, omeprazole (moderate)
- Antibiotics such as tetracycline, doxycycline (moderate)
- Tramadol (mild)
- As with other broad-spectrum antibiotics, Augmentin tablet can lead to decreased efficacy of oral contraceptives.(mild)
3. Effects of Augmentin on Lab Tests
Oral intake of Augmentin will result in high concentrations of amoxicillin in urine as it excretes through kidneys which can interfere with urine laboratory tests for glucose.
4. Augmentin’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Augmentin with alcohol?
No, Augmentin can cause dizziness and drowsiness both which also occurs after consuming alcohol so consuming them together can worsen the effects. Therefore, it is advised to avoid consuming alcohol while taking Augmentin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit and grapefruit products/juice are to be avoided while taking Augmentin.
Q. Can I have Augmentin when pregnant?
The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Taking Augmentin tablet during pregnancy can reduce estrogen levels in your body. You must consult your physician regarding the same. In common with other broad-spectrum antibiotics, Augmentin can also decrease the efficacy of oral contraceptives.
Q. Can I have Augmentin when feeding a baby?
No, the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as traces of Augmentin are excreted in the breast milk. Therefore, caution should be exercised when Augmentin is administered to a lactating woman.
Q. Can I drive after taking Augmentin?
Drowsiness and dizziness can occur as a side effect after taking Augmentin. Therefore, it is advised to avoid driving if one feels drowsy or dizzy after taking this medication.
Also Read: Azee 500 Side Effect | Bandy Plus Side Effect | Betnovate N Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Augmentin Composition, Variant and Price
|Augmentin 375mg tablet||Amoxicillin 250mg and Clavulanic Acid 125mg||Rs. 229.00 for 10 tablets|
|Augmentin Duo 1000mg Tablet||Amoxicillin 875mg and Clavulanic Acid 125mg||Rs. 452.35 for 10 tablets|
|Augmentin 1.2gm injection||Amoxicillin 1000mg and Clavulanic Acid 200mg/Inj||Rs. 132.00 for 1 pack|
|Augmentin 600mg injection||Amoxicillin 5000mg and Clavulanic Acid 100mg||Rs. 94.61 for 1 pack|
|Augmentin Duo Syrup||Amoxicillin 200mg and Clavulanic Acid 34mg/5ml||Rs. 56.99 for 1 pack|
|Augmentin DDS 30ml Syrup||Amoxicillin 400mg and Clavulanic Acid 68mg||Rs. 130.05 for 1 pack.|
11Substitutes of Augmentin
The following are alternative drugs for Augmentin:
- Acuclav 625mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 142.6
- Abeo CV tablet:
- Manufactured by Bio Oxy Pharma
- Price – Rs. 195
- Clavullin 625 tablet:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals.
- Price – Rs. 96.84
- Advent 625mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price – Rs. 188.81
Storage requirements for Augmentin Tablets
- Augmentin Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at room temperature.
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Augmentin
Q. What is Augmentin?
Ans. Augmentin is an antibiotic manufactured by using Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid in combination as the main ingredients. It is used most commonly worldwide mainly because of its high efficacy and potency as compared to plain Amoxicillin. It is used broadly to treat various minor and some major ailments like UTIs (urinary tract infections) and infections of skin, genitals, ear and nose.
Q. What are the uses of Augmentin?
Ans. It is used broadly to treat various minor and some major ailments like UTIs (urinary tract infections) and infections of skin, genitals, ear and nose.
Q. What are the side effects of Augmentin?
Ans. The most common side effects of Augmentin are Nausea, Vomiting, Stomachache, Rashes and itching on skin, Vaginal fungal infection, Jaundice.
Q. How long does it take for Augmentin to show results?
Ans. Augmentin shows its effect within few hours of administration of drug.
Q. Should Augmentin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Augmentin should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Augmentin make you drowsy?
Ans. Augmentin may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Augmentin doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Augmentin toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Augmentin should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Augmentin.
Q. Does Augmentin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Augmentin safe for children?
Ans. Augmentin should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of same combination drug are present for paediatric use.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Augmentin?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Augmentin.
Q. Is Augmentin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –