What is Avva?
- Avva is a medicine used to treat glaucoma, an eye condition which may eventually lead to blindness.
- It also reduces the severity and duration of symptoms caused by altitude or mountain sickness and reduces edema (swelling) or fluid retention associated with certain specific medical conditions.
Save using: Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Avva
Avva is prescribed for:
- Acute mountain sickness
- Seizure disorder
Know more: Actifed Uses
How does Avva work?
- Avva medicine blocks the actions of certain enzymes in the body which in turn, relieves the symptoms of altitude or mountain sickness and glaucoma, as well as reduces swelling.
Avva Price in India
|Specific||Avva Price in India|
|Avva 250 mg Tablet||Rs. 34.23|
Also check out: Dazit Price
How to take Avva?
- Avva is administered orally in the form of tablet and capsule, with food.
- The extended-release form of this medicine should not be crushed or chewed.
Common dosage of Avva
- A dosage of diuresis for adults is 250-375 mg per day.
- For glaucoma and epilepsy, 250-1,000 mg per day is the recommended dose.
- The dose for prophylaxis of high altitude sickness ranges from 500-1,000 mg per day.
Read more: Betnelan Dosage
When to avoid Avva & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Avva if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Avva is not recommended for use in patients suffering from severe impairment of liver and kidney function and patients suffering from a chronic non-congestive angle-closure glaucoma.
- Patients with Addison’s disease and those having altered levels of sodium, potassium, chlorine ions are also not recommended to use this medicine.
- Caution should be exercised in patients suffering from bone marrow depression, blood dyscrasias, diabetes mellitus, gout, respiratory acidosis.
- Avva is not recommended for use in children less than 12 years of age.
- Avva medicine should be used with extreme caution in the elderly patients since the risk of adverse effects is significantly high.
Read more: Cortisol Precaution
Side Effects of Avva
- Loss of appetite
- Numbness, tingling in arms or legs
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination frequency
- Fever and cough
- Blood in urine
- Yellowing of skin and eyes
- A sore throat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Altered blood glucose levels
- Change in taste
- Metallic taste
- A decrease in sexual drive
Read more: Delcon Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Central nervous system reactions- Occasional instances of drowsiness and confusion, and seizures.
- ENT reactions- Taste alterations especially for carbonated drinks, sore throat, ringing in the ear, and blurred vision.
- Genitourinary reactions- Blood in stool or urine, painful urination and excessive passage of urination.
- Metabolic reactions- Liver impairment, increases the risk of kidney stones, metabolic acidosis, increased thirst, and electrolyte imbalance.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Trouble breathing
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Concomitant use of following drugs is not recommended while receiving Avva:
- Choline salicylate
- Sodium biphosphate
- Magnesium salicylate
- The effect of this medicine can be observed within 1 to 2 hours of oral administration and lasts for approximately 8 to 24 hours.
Storage Requirements for Avva
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store at a temperature between 20°-25°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Avva
- Do not take Avva medicine in larger or smaller quantities than recommended.
- Do not stop the use of this drug without consulting your doctor, otherwise, you may experience persistent symptoms such as fever, severe headache, unusual bleeding or bruising, coffee-coloured vomit, etc.
- Avva may cause muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness, visual disturbances, etc. in some patients. Thus, do not drive while receiving Avva medicine.
Is Avva addictive?
Can I have Avva with alcohol?
- Ask your doctor.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Avva when pregnant?
- Yes; only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Avva when feeding a baby?
- Yes; only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I drive after taking Avva?
What happens if I overdose on Avva?
- The overdose of Avva may cause abnormal skin sensations, ringing or whistling in the ears, loss of appetite, loss of coordination, tremors.
What happens if I eat expired Avva?
- Expired Avva may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use the expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Avva?
- If you miss a dose of Avva, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.