Table of Contents
- 1 What is Azee 500?
- 2 Uses of Azee 500
- 3 How does Azee 500 work?
- 4 How to take Azee 500?
- 5 Common Dosage for Azee 500
- 6 When to Avoid Azee 500?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Azee 500
- 8 Side-Effects of Azee 500
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Azee 500 Composition, Variants and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Azee 500
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions – Important Answers about Azee 500
- 12.1 Q. What is Azee 500?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Azee 500 to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Azee 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Azee 500 make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Azee 500 doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Azee 500 effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. What happens if I overdose on Azee 500?
- 12.9 Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Azee 500?
- 12.10 Q. What happens if I eat expired Azee 500?
- 12.11 Q. Onset time of Azee 500 and till when does the effect of Azee 500 stay?
- 12.12 Q. Is Azee 500 safe for children?
- 12.13 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Azee 500?
- 12.14 Q. Is Azee 500 legal in India?
- 12.15 Q. Can I have Azee 500 with alcohol?
- 12.16 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 12.17 Q. Can I have Azee 500 when pregnant?
- 12.18 Q. Can I have Azee 500 when feeding a baby?
- 12.19 Q. Can I drive after taking Azee 500?
- 13 Authored by-
What is Azee 500?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of bacterial infections like sinusitis, pharyngitis, urethritis and other skin infections. Pseudo membranous colitis and fungal infection are the major side effects at high repetitive doses for a prolonged period. It should be totally avoided in case of jaundice, heart diseases, and viral infections.
Azee 500 Composition: Azithromycin 500 mg
Manufactured By: Cipla Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablets, injections and syrup.
Price: Rs 108.25 for 5 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
Uses of Azee 500
Azee 500 serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of the following conditions:
- Genital Infections: Used for uncomplicated genital chlamydial infections
- Eye Infection: Used to treat Trachoma (Contagious bacterial infection of the eye)
- Sinusitis: Used to treat acute bacterial sinusitis (due to H. influenza or S. pneumoniae)
- COPD: Used for treatment of acute bacterial exacerbations of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease due to H. influenza or S. pneumoniae).
- Pneumonia: Used to treat Community-acquired pneumonia (due to C. pneumonia).
- Pharyngitis: Used for treatment of Pharyngitis/tonsillitis (caused by S. pyogenes)
- Urinary tract infection: Used in cases of Urethritis and cervicitis (due to C. trachomatis or N. gonorrhoeae).
- GUD: Used for treatment of Genital Ulcer Disease in men.
- Skin Infections: Used for treatment of skin infections due to S. Aureus.
You may also like uses of Aristozyme | Augmentin 625 | Betnovate N | Ctor
How does Azee 500 work?
- Azee contains Azithromycin as its main active ingredient
- Azithromycin binds to rRNA of the bacterial ribosomal subunit and inhibits the transpeptidation step and therefore blocks the protein synthesis
- Azithromycin blocks the protein synthesis of the bacterial cells and eventually kills them.
How to take Azee 500?
- Azee 500 is usually available in tablet form for adults and suspension form for paediatric use.
- Azee 500 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water either with food or after food as the antimicrobial activity of Azithromycin is pH related and gets reduced with decreasing pH of the stomach.
- When taking Azee 500 suspension, the bottle should be shaken up well to have a homogenous mix of the drug.
- For complete infection eradication, complete physician’s prescribed dose should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage for Azee 500
- Azee 500 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The usual common adult dose of Azee 500 is single tablet per day for 3 days or 5 days depending upon the severity of the infection.
- Paediatric dose of Azee 500 is 5 to 20 mg/Kg for 3-5 days depending upon the severity of the infection.
Also Read: Avil Dosage | Bandy Plus Dosage
When to Avoid Azee 500?
Do not Consume Azee 500 if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy to Azithromycin or Erythromycin
- Liver dysfunction: In cases of a known history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction due to prior use of Azithromycin.
- Diarrhoea: In cases of Clostridium Difficile-associated diarrhoea as the drug may worsen the case to fatal colitis.
- Heart Problems: In cases of cardiac arrhythmias or heart problems.
- Kidney problems: In cases of renal insufficiency as extra caution is needed.
- Viral infections: In cases of viral infections, like common cold as the drug treats only bacterial infections.
Precautions While Taking Azee 500
- Avoid in Myasthenia Gravis: The drug should not be administered in patients with myasthenia gravis as it can aggravate the symptoms.
- Avoid concomitant use of antacids: Use of aluminium-and magnesium-containing antacids while taking Azithromycin should be avoided.
- Avoid unnecessary use: Azee 500 should be used only in cases suspected to be of bacterial origin.
- Dose alteration: xDose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Azee 500
- The doctor should always be informed in case of known allergy to Azithromycin.
- In cases of liver and renal impairment, the doctor should always be notified.
- In cases of Heart problems, myasthenia gravis, as it can worsen the problem.
- Avoid simultaneous consumption of aluminum or magnesium antacids with Azee 500.
Side-Effects of Azee 500
The side effects associated with Azee 500 are:
- Diarrhoea (Loose stools) (Common)
- Nausea (Common)
- Abdominal pain (Less Common)
- Headache (Less Common)
- Vomiting (Less Common)
- Dyspepsia (Indigestion, stomache) (Common)
- Dizziness (Less Common)
- Irregular Heartbeats (Less Common)
- Clay coloured stools or Jaundice (Less Common)
- Nervousness and insomnia (Less Common)
- Fever, rashes (Less Common)
- Facial edema, fungal infections (Less Common)
- Prolonged use may lead to pseudo membranous colitis (Less Common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Azee 500?
- Some serious allergic reactions like angioedema, anaphylaxis, and dermatologic reactions including Stevens Johnson Syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis have been reported in patients on Azee 500 therapy rarely.
- In case of any allergic symptoms like itching, redness, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Azee 500 on organs?
- Azee 500 affects hepatic and renal functions therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- In case of any allergic reaction or overdose, immediate medical help should be taken.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Azee 500. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Azee 500. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Azee 500
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Azee 500
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Nelfinavir (leads to increased Azithromycin serum concentration) (moderate)
- Warfarin (may potentiate the effects of warfarin) (severe)
- Atorvastatin (mild)
- Carbamazepine (mild)
- Cetirizine (moderate)
- Didanosine (mild)
- Fluconazole (mild)
- Indinavir (moderate)
- Midazolam (moderate)
- Rifabutin (mild)
- Sildenafil (moderate)
- Theophylline (intravenous and oral) (moderate)
- Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (mild)
- Zidovudine (moderate)
- Digoxin (leads to increased digoxin concentrations) (moderate)
- Ergotamine or dihydroergotamine (May lead to Acute Ergot Toxicity) (severe)
- Antacids with magnesium or aluminium (leads to reduced absorption of Azithromycin). (mild)
3. Effects of Azee 500 on Lab Tests
Azee 500 can affect liver enzymes test
4. Azee 500’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, heart disorders.
Also Read: Amlodipine Side Effects | C Tax-O Side Effect | Dolo 650 Side Effects
Buyer’s Guide – Azee 500 Composition, Variants and Price
|Azee 500 Variants||Azee 500 Composition||Azee 500 Price|
|Azee 100 syrup||Azithromycin 100 mg/5ml||Rs. 34.48 for 1 pack|
|Azee 250 mg tablet||Azithromycin 250 mg||Rs. 66.59 for 6 tablets|
|Azee 200 syrup||Azithromycin 200 mg/5ml||Rs. 44.24 for 1 pack|
|Azee 500mg injection||Azithromycin 500 mg/5ml||Rs. 195.38 for 1 pack|
|Azee 1000mg Tablet||Azithromycin 1000mg||Rs. 52.00 for 1 kit|
|Azee Dry Syrup||Azithromycin 100 mg/5ml||Rs. 17.75 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off Off: Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Substitutes of Azee 500
The following are alternative drugs for Azee 500:
- Azibest 500 mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Blue cross.
- Price – Rs. 43.72
- ATM 500mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Indoco remedies Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 83.95
- Azibact 500mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Ipca Laboratories Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 50.38
- Azro 500mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Abbott.
- Price – Rs.
Storage requirements for Azee 500 Tablets
- Store the drug at room temperature below 30o C, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
Frequently Asked Questions – Important Answers about Azee 500
Q. What is Azee 500?
Ans. Azee 500 is an antibiotic that contains Azithromycin as its active ingredient. Azithromycin is derived from erythromycin but differs in the chemical structure.
Azee 500 is used only to prevent or treat infections that are strongly suspected or proven to be of bacterial origin to prevent the development of drug-resistant bacteria.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Azee 500 to show results?
Ans. Azee 500 shows its effect within few days of start of administration of drug.
Q. Should Azee 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Azee 500 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset and to have better absorption.
Q. Does Azee 500 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Azee 500 may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Azee 500 doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 10-12 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Azee 500 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Azee 500.
Q. Does Azee 500 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. What happens if I overdose on Azee 500?
An overdose of Azee 500 can cause symptoms like irregular heartbeats and other problems so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed and the doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Azee 500 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Azee 500?
The drug may not exhibit proper effects, if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Consume the missed dose always as soon as you remember it. But, do not take a double dose if it’s already time to take the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Azee 500?
An adverse event is very unlikely to occur by a single dose of the expired drug. However, the physician should be consulted if one feels unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating the condition. But it is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Azee 500 and till when does the effect of Azee 500 stay?
- One should start to feel recovered within the first few days of Azee 500 therapy.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Q. Is Azee 500 safe for children?
Ans. Azee 500 should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Azee 500?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Azee 500.
Q. Is Azee 500 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Q. Can I have Azee 500 with alcohol?
No. Azee 500 is already known to have effects on liver and consuming alcohol may worsen the effects.
Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Azee 500 when pregnant?
No, there have been no reports on any adverse effects of the drug on the human foetus but the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
Q. Can I have Azee 500 when feeding a baby?
No, there has been no known records whether the drug is excreted in human milk or not but the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Azee 500?
No, Azee 500 can cause dizziness in few cases so one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.