Azithral Composition –Azithromycin
Manufactured By –Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs.111.94 per 500 mg Strip of 5 Tablets
What is Azithral?
Azithral is an antibiotic. Azithral contains Azithromycin which is an antibiotic and interferes with the synthesis of essential proteins in bacteria, causing complete cessation of bacterial growth.
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Azithral 500 mg Injection||Azithromycin (500mg)|
|Azithral XL 100 Liquid||Azithromycin (100mg/5ml)|
|Azithral Junior 200 mg/5ml Drop||Azithromycin (200mg/5ml)|
|Azithral Kid 100 mg Tablet||Azithromycin (100mg)|
|Azithral 200 mg/5ml Stat Liquid||Azithromycin (200mg/5ml)|
|Azithral Plus 500 mg Tablet FC||Azithromycin (500mg)|
|Azithral 5D Tablet||Azithromycin (500mg)|
|Azithral 250 mg Tablet DT||Azithromycin (250mg)|
Buy & Get Upto 35% Off - Practo Offers
Uses of Azithral
Azithral is generally used in a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria, such as infection in tonsils, sinus, skin, infections of ear, nose, and throat, respiratory tract and lungs (pneumonia).
You may also read: Ascoril Syrup Uses | Atarax Uses
Azithral Price in India
|500 mg Strip of 5 Tablets||Rs 111.94|
How to Take Azithral?
Azithral usually comes in the form of a tablets & suspensions (which has to taken by mouth, eye drops, and injectable forms). Every possible formulation might not be listed here.
Azithral tablets / suspensions are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually once daily with or without food. For best results, Azithral Tablet must be taken at evenly spaced times.
Shake the suspension liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
Azithral drops – One drop is put in the affected eye/ear twice a day for the first 2 days, followed by one drop – once a day for the next 5 days.
The usage of Azithral must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
Azithral is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Dosage for Azithral
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Tablets / suspensions
A typical adult dosage is 500 mg / day for 3days. The physician may also prescribe 500 mg for the first day as a single dose, followed by 250mg/day for the next 4 days.
Child dosage is based on weight and ranges from 5 mg to 20 mg /kg body weight / day, usually taken for 3 to 5 days.
Syrup is available in 200mg/5ml form.
- The injectable form is injected directly in the vein by a healthcare professional.
- Azithral drops are available in 1% w/v form. The dropper of the eye-drops bottle should be held close to the ear/ without touching it. Gently pinch the dropper and from the medicine inside the ear or lower eyelid.
You may also read: Beplex Forte Dosage | Betadine Dosage | Betahistine Dosage
Precautions – When To Avoid Azithral?
Azithral doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, common cold). Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
Side-effects of Azithral Tablet?
Azithral Side-effects are uncommon. Less than 1% of people stop taking the drug due to side effects. Most common adverse effects are diarrhea, nausea, upper stomach pain and vomiting. Azithral can also cause headache with chest pain, dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats, fever, sore-throat, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat. Other known side effects include itching, swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, extreme tiredness, unusual muscle weakness or difficulty with muscle control, pink and swollen eyes. Prolonged use up to several weeks can lead to pseudomembranous colitis.
Effects on organs?
Effects on liver have been reported. Symptoms of (Azithral) liver damage include:
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin)
- Pain in the stomach
- Severe tiredness
- Dark urine
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
Kidney complications of (Azithral) have also been reported. Symptoms include:
- Metallic taste
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Changes in urine
- Itching / rashes on skin
- Dizziness, shortness of breath
- Pain in legs
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Azithral Tablet allergic reactions reported are rashes, difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling, hoarseness, and
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use especially nelfinavir; or a blood thinner – warfarin, Coumadin.
- You must inform your doctor if you are on QT – prolonging agents, quinidine/quinine.
- Antacids that contain magnesium or aluminum generally are known to markedly reduce the absorption of Azithral in the body. Therefore, it must be taken minimum 2 hours before / after taking antiacids.
- You must not take any immunizations or vaccinations while using Azithral unless your doctor tells you to.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
- It is very unlikely for Azithral Tablet to affect hormonal birth controlsuch as pills, rings or patches.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Azithral.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Pro Tips When Taking Azithral Tablet
- Always inform your doctor if you are allergic to Azithromycin, clarithromycin, dirithromycin, erythromycin or any other ingredients in Azithral tablets or suspension.
- Always inform your doctor if you have ever had jaundice or any other liver problems while taking Azithral or if there is a history of liver/kidney disease
- Always inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of irregular heartbeat, heart failure, fainting, or sudden death or a blood infection; cystic fibrosis; myasthenia gravis, kidney or liver disease.
- If vomiting happens within an hour after taking Azithral, call your doctor right away.
- Drops must be store it in the refrigerator between 2°C to 8°C (before opening) and at room temperature or in the refrigerator between 2°C to 25°C (after opening)
Is Azithral Addictive?
Can I have Azithral Tablet with alcohol?
Alcohol can cause liver damage temporarily and that might increase the side effects of Azithral. Also, the chances of having side effects increases when consumed with alcohol because of dehydrating nature of alcohol on your body.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Azithral When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Macrolide antibiotics, as a group, are generally safe in pregnancy. There are very few published research papers on the use of Azithral Tablet in human pregnancy however till now, research has not indicated any harmful effects of Azithral in pregnancy. Since there are no well-controlled studies done on effects of Azithral in pregnant women, Azithral should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Can I have Azithral when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
There is evidence that Azithral might be excreted in human breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Azithral Tablet?
Some studies suggest that Azithromucin could lead to impaired driving ability in few people, especially females who are more than 60 years of age and have been on the drug for more than 2-5 years and have been on anti-depressant, anti-hypertensive drugs too.
What happens if I overdose on Azithral?
An overdose of Azithral Tablet might cause irregular heart rhythm or liver damage. If you have taken an over-dose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Azithral?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Azithral Tablet?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
When Was Azithral Made?
Azithromycin present in Azithral Tablet was first discovered in the late 1970s by a Croatian pharmaceutical company, Pliva.