Baclofen Composition – Baclofen 10 MG
Manufactured By – La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 100
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Baclofen?
Baclofen is a type of spasmolytics medication that works by decreasing muscle tone and spasm; a GABAb receptor agonist. It is the best agent for symptomatic treatment of spasticity in ALS. Baclofen can be very helpful in patients that have developed cerebral palsy or some injury to the spinal cord.
Manufactured By – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupon | Practo Coupon Code
Uses of Baclofen
Baclofen is used to treat:
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
Read other medicine Uses: Januvia Uses
How does Baclofen work?
- Baclofen acts to restore the lost inhibition by stimulating postsynaptic GABA receptors.
- It works by activating the GABAb receptor, which is a metabotropic inhibitory GPCR.
- Baclofen will hyperpolarize neurons and muscle cells by activating potassium channels.
How to take Baclofen?
- Baclofen is taken in the form of tablets.
- It can be taken with food or milk.
- Alternatively, Baclofen can be delivered directly into the space around the spinal cord using a surgically implanted pump and an intrathecal catheter.
- This approach minimizes the adverse effects of Baclofen, especially sedation, but it carries the risk of potentially life-threatening CNS depression.
Baclofen Price In India
|0.05mg Vial of 1ml Injection||Rs 144.00|
|10mg Vial of 20 ml Injection||Rs 7415.00|
|10mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 30.00|
|25mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 558.00|
Common Dosage for Baclofen
- Initial doses of 5-10 mg per day are recommended.
- It can be increased to as much as 200 mg per day, if necessary.
Also Read: Acetaminophen Dosage | Albuterol Dosage | Amitriptyline Dosage
When to avoid Baclofen?
- Use of Baclofen with other drugs that also depress the function of nerves may lead to an additional reduction in brain function.
- The use of Baclofen and tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequan, Adapin) together may cause muscle weakness.
- Use of Baclofen and MOIs like phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine or (Parnate) can cause greater depression as well as low blood pressure.
Precautions when taking Baclofen
- Do not use Baclofen if you are allergic to it or of any of its ingredients. Consult your doctor.
- Let your doctor know about any previous history of kidney disorder, stroke or epilepsy.
- Intrathecal Baclofen should be used only by physicians trained in delivering chronic intrathecal therapy.
- Baclofen increases blood sugar because of which doses of antidiabetic drugs may need to be adjusted.
Side Effects of Baclofen
Abrupt withdrawal of intrathecal Baclofen can cause:
- rebound spasticity,
- multi-organ failure, and
- even death.
Effects on organs
- Cardiovascular- Hypotension. Rare instances of dyspnea, palpitation, chest pain, syncope.
- Neuropsychiatric- Confusion, headache, insomnia and rarely depression, paresthesia, muscle pain, dystonia, ataxia, blurred vision.
- Gastrointestinal- Nausea, constipation and rarely dry mouth, anorexia, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Skin- rashes, pruritus, ankle edema.
Storage Requirement about Baclofen
- Keep it in a dry place, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Should be kept in a tight container.
- Keep Baclofen out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Consuming Baclofen
- Do not use Baclofen at a time when muscle tone is needed to assure safe balance and movement for certain activities.
- Using Baclofen may increase your risk of developing an ovarian cyst.
- Withdrawal symptoms such as seizures or hallucinations can occur when you stop using Baclofen after using it over a long period of time.
- Do not stop using Baclofen without consulting your doctor. You may need to use less of it before you stop the medication completely.
Is Baclofen addictive?
No, but using Baclofen for a longer time period may cause a few withdrawal symptoms.
Can I have Baclofen with alcohol?
No, this may make you dizzier.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
There is no food to be avoided while taking Baclofen.
Can I have Baclofen when pregnant?
No, Baclofen is considered unsafe during pregnancy.
Can I have Baclofen when feeding a baby?
No, Baclofen passes into breast milk, which may harm the baby.
Can I drive after taking Baclofen?
No, Baclofen may make you dizzy and impair your alertness or thinking ability.
What happens if I overdose on Baclofen?
Overdosing on Baclofen may cause symptoms like vomiting, depression, seizures, headaches, dizziness, sedation, hypertension or death,
What happens if I eat expired Baclofen?
It is advised to not take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Baclofen?
Take the next dose at the scheduled time. Never take more than the dose for a missed one.
👋CashKaro Exclusive Offer👋
Hungry for more Cashback 💸? Download CashKaro App to get a Rs 60 bonus Cashback + Save up to Rs 15,000/month on online shopping.