Table of Contents
- What is Bactifix?
- Uses of Bactifix
- How does Bactifix work?
- How to use Bactifix?
- Bactifix Usage
- When to Avoid Bactifix?
- Precautions While using Bactifix:
- Side-Effects of Bactifix:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Bactifix Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Bactifix
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Bactifix
- Authored By –
1What is Bactifix?
It is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like Infection of hair follicles (Folliculitis). Irritation at the site of application is the major side effect of Bactifix at repetitive applications. It should be totally avoided in case of allergic history to Bactifix ointment.
Bactifix Composition: Mupirocin 2%w/w.
Manufactured by: Solvis Pharmaceuticals.
Prescription: To be sold by prescription only but it is available as OTC.
Price: Rs.99.00 for tube of 5 gm ointment.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 2 years from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: antibiotic
2Uses of Bactifix
Bactifix is used in the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Wound: Used in cases of wound healing, as it protects the wound from infection and promotes wound healing.
- Furuncle: Used to treat furuncle also known as Boil.
- Bruises: Used to treat bruises.
- Folliculitis: Used in cases of folliculitis (infection of hair follicles)
- Impetigo: Used in cases like contagious red sores in children (Impetigo).
- Infections: Used to treat Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections
3How does Bactifix work?
- Bactifix Ointment contains Mupirocin which is a mixture of several pseudomonic acids.
- Mupirocin binds reversibly to isoleucyl t-RNA synthetase in Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus (Gram-Positive bacteria), which results in protein synthesis inhibition and also affects cell wall and DNA of the bacteria negatively.
- Inhibition of protein synthesis and impact on the cell wall of bacterial cell leads to its destruction.
4How to use Bactifix?
- Always wash hands before and after applying Bactifix ointment.
- A thin layer of ointment is to be applied on the affected area and rubbed gently.
- Affected area can also be covered with a sterile gauze piece as per one’s convenience
- Avoid excess of ointment use as it may cause undesirable effects.
- It is advisable for the patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of how to handle the drug.
- The usage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- A small amount (almost half the size of a pea) can be applied to the affected area.
- It is advisable to apply Bactifix ointment three times in a day but the physician can alter the dosage.
- It is advisable to consult the doctor always for dose alteration.
Q. What happens if I overuse Bactifix?
Do not apply more than the prescribed quantity of ointment as it may lead to side effects like redness, itching, rash, burning sensation and severe skin irritation in severe cases.
Q. What happens if I miss an application of Bactifix?
The drug may not exhibit desired effect, apply the missed application always as soon as you remember it. But, do not apply a double quantity if it’s already time to apply the second application after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I use expired Bactifix?
An adverse event is very unlikely to occur by a single use of expired drug. However, the efficacy of the expired drug may be reduced and the physician should be consulted in such cases. It is advisable to abstain from using an expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Bactifix?
- Onset time of action for Bactifix can vary as per the condition being treated.
Q. Till when does the effect of Bactifix stay?
- Effects can be noticed within 1-2 days of application.
- Symptoms will begin to disappear by the second day.
Know About: Domzar Dosage
6When to Avoid Bactifix?
Do not use Bactifix if:
- Genital areas: Bactifix should not be used in genital areas as it is to be used in external areas only.
- Allergy/Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Bactifix or any of its ingredients.
- Underage: It should not be used in infants and children without Paediatrician consultation.
- Viral skin infections: In cases of patients with viral skin infections such as herpes simplex infection and chicken pox.
- Fungal skin infections: In cases of patients with fungal skin infections like thrush and athlete’s foot.
Also Read: Carpela 21s Price | Ginette Price
7Precautions While using Bactifix:
- Allergic Reaction: Always seek medical help immediately in case of any allergic reaction, if occurs after using Bactifix.
- Avoid eye contact: Always apply the drug on the outer areas and avoid contact with the eye and if occurs, wash the face with fresh water thoroughly.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two applications to avoid drug over usage, atleast 5-10 minutes between two doses.
Warnings When using Bactifix
- Concomitant use of any other topical drug should be delayed for atleast 5-10 minutes while using Bactifix.
- Avoid ingesting Bactifix ointment.
- Usage alteration without medical advice is not recommended.
- Bactifix should not be administered in children unless specified by the Paediatrician.
Know More: Feripro Precaution
8Side-Effects of Bactifix:
The side effects associated with Bactifix are:
- Irritation at the application site (common)
- Tingling or burning sensation (less common)
- Rash (less common)
- Itching (less common)
- Redness (less common)
- Peeling of skin (rare)
- Prolonged use may lead to increased fungi growth. (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Bactifix?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Bactifix are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
- Itching (common)
- Dry skin (less common)
What are the effects of Bactifix on organs?
Bactifix ointment has shown no reports of affecting the patients with liver and kidney problems but proper medical advice should be taken before starting the ointment use.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Bactifix. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Bactifix. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Bactifix
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Bactifix
Since Bactifix is a topical drug, no other drugs have reactions with it unless any other topical drug is being used in the same area of application. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently using. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
3. Effects of Bactifix on Lab Tests
Bactifix doesn’t affect any laboratory test results. Patients with allergic reactions.
Q. Can I have alcohol with Bactifix?
No reports are there to show interaction between alcohol consumption and ointment but as a safety measure one should avoid alcohol while on treatment.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I use Bactifix when pregnant?
Yes, as no ill effects on the foetus have been reported yet but the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant for any case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I use Bactifix when feeding a baby?
Yes, as its safe for the lactating mothers and the infant but the doctor should always be informed in this case.
Q. Can I drive after taking Bactifix?
Yes, Bactifix has no effect on driving.
Also Read: Cystelia Side Effects
10Buyer’s Guide – Bactifix Composition, Variant and Price
|Bactifix Variants||Bactifix Composition||Bactifix Price (Rs.)|
|BACTIFIX 5GM OINT||Mupirocin 2 %W/W||Rs. 99|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds | Medlife | Pharmeasy | Myra Medicines
11Substitutes of Bactifix
The following are alternative drugs for Bactifix:
- Mupact 5gm ointment:
- Manufactured by East West Pharma.
- Price – Rs. 99
- Mupinase 5gm Ointment:
- Manufactured by Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 101.75
- Mopry 2.0% 5gm Ointment:
- Manufactured by Unichem.
- Price – Rs. 97.5
- Mupifix 5gm Ointment:
- Manufactured by Matrix Pharma Chem
- Price – Rs.
Storage requirements for Bactifix
- Bactifix drug should be stored at a moisture free, dry place at temperature below 25O C.
- Avoid freezing the drug
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Bactifix
Q. What is Bactifix?
Ans. Bactifix ointment is a topical form of antibiotic used to treat Bacterial infections. It is used predominantly for treatment of infections suspected to be caused by Gram-positive bacteria like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections and folliculitis. It is ineffective against viral and fungal infections.
Q. What are the uses of Bactifix?
Ans. It is used predominantly for treatment of infections suspected to be caused by Gram-positive bacteria like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections and folliculitis. It is ineffective against viral and fungal infections.
Q. What are the side effects of Bactifix?
Ans. The most common side effects of Bactifix are Irritation at the application site, Tingling or burning sensation, Rash, Itching, Redness, Peeling of skin
Q. How long does it take for Bactifix to show results?
Ans. Bactifix shows its effect within first week of application but one should continue the application unless asked to stop by the doctor.
Q. Does Bactifix make you drowsy?
Ans. Bactifix generally doesn’t cause drowsiness.
Q. What should be the time gap between the two applications of Bactifix?
Ans. An Ideal time gap of atleast 5-10 minutes should be there between two applications. However, one should never overuse Bactifix applications.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Bactifix should be used strictly as per the doctor’s advice. Withdrawal of Bactifix in between can lead to recurrence of symptoms. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Bactifix.
Q. Does Bactifix effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Bactifix generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle as it for topical application only but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before using the drug
Q. Is Bactifix safe for children?
Ans. Always consult the Paediatrician before applying Bactifix to children as a precautionary measure, as children’s skin is more sensitive as compared to adults.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before using Bactifix?
Ans. Any allergic history with Bactifix with symptoms like rashes, itching or burning sensation or same class of drugs, are to be taken into consideration before using Bactifix.
Q. Is Bactifix legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –