Table of Contents
- 1 What is Bactrim?
- 2 Uses of Bactrim
- 3 How does Bactrim work?
- 4 How to take Bactrim?
- 5 Bactrim Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Bactrim
- 7 When to avoid Bactrim?
- 8 Precautions when taking Bactrim
- 9 Side Effects of Bactrim
- 10 Effects on organs?
- 11 Storage Requirments for Bactrim
- 12 Pro Tips When Taking Bactrim
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Bactrim addictive?
- 15 Can I have Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Bactrim while feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole)?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Bactrim?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole)?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Bactrim?
What is Bactrim?
Bactrim is a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Trimethoprim in combination with sulfamethoxazole constitutes an important advance in the development of clinically effective antimicrobial agent.
Manufactured By – Abbott
Other variants and composition –
|Bactrim Ds Tablet||Trimethoprim 160 MG+Sulphamethoxazole 800 MG|
|Bactrim 50Ml Syrup||Sulphamethoxazole 200 MG+Trimethoprim 40 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Discount Coupon | Medlife Discount Code
Uses of Bactrim
Used to treat:
- Urinary tract infections
- Gastro intestine infections
- Infection by Pneumocystis jiroveci (pneumonia)
- Prophylaxis in Neutropenic Patients
- Whipple’s disease
How does Bactrim work?
- Bactrim works by stopping the growth of the bacteria causing the infection.
- Sulfamethoxazole stops bacteria from making dihydrofolic acid and trimethoprim prevents the formation of tetrahydrofolic acid; both significant steps in the formation of nucleic acids and proteins essential to many bacteria.
How to take Bactrim?
- Take Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) tablets or oral suspension with food or milk, to avoid an upset stomach.
- Swallow Bactrim tablets whole with a glass of water.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent kidney stones.
Bactrim Price In India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 6.23|
|Bactrim Syrup: Bottle of 50ml Syrup||Rs 10.5|
|Bactrim DS 800/160mg:Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 14.22|
Also Read: Copaxone Price
Common Dosage for Bactrim
- Single-dose therapy (320 mg trimethoprim plus 1600 mg sulfamethoxazole in adults) has been effective for the treatment of acute uncomplicated UTI, but a minimum of 3 days of therapy is more likely to be effective.
- Small doses (200 mg sulfamethoxazole plus 40 mg trimethoprim per day and postcoitally or 2-4 times these amounts once or twice per week) effectively reduce the number of recurrent urinary tract infections in women.
- For GI infections, in adults, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole appears to be effective when the dose is 800 mg sulfamethoxazole plus 160 mg trimethoprim every 12 hours for 15 days.
- High-dose therapy (trimethoprim 15-20 mg/kg per day plus sulfamethoxazole 75-100 mg/kg per day in three or four divided doses) is effective for the infection caused by Pneumocystis jiroveci in patients with AIDS.
When to avoid Bactrim?
- Blood thinners like warfarin, dofetilide, methenamine, and methotrexate may interact with Bactrim and increase the risk of bleeding.
- Sulfamethoxazole may increase the blood levels of methotrexate and when using it with trimethoprim can increase the risk of impaired bone marrow, decreasing the number of blood cells.
- Lisinopril may react with trimethoprim which may increase potassium levels causing hyperkalemia.
- Adjustment of doses is required when taking meloxicam because sulfamethoxazole may increase the blood levels and effects of meloxicam.
- Regular monitoring is required when taking metformin because trimethoprim may increase the effects of metformin.
Precautions when taking Bactrim
- Do not use Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) if you have severe liver or kidney disease or anemia.
- May lower blood sugar levels in people without diabetes.
- Before taking this medicine, tell you doctor about persisting allergy or if you are allergic to Bactrim or the ingredients present in it.
- Ask your doctor before having vaccines.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially skin reactions, blood disorders, easy bleeding/bruising, and a high potassium blood level.
Side Effects of Bactrim
Some of the reported side effects of Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) are:
- Serious anemias
- Renal impairment
- Rash, neutropenia, pulmonary infiltrates in patients with AIDS
Also read about other medicine's Side Effect: Zovirax Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- nausea and vomiting; diarrhea is rare.
- CNS reactions- headache, depression, and hallucinations.
- Blood reactions- various anemias (including aplastic, hemolytic, and macrocytic), coagulation disorders, granulocytopenia, agranulocytosis, purpura, Henoch-Schnlein purpura, and sulfhemoglobinemia.
- Genitourinary reactions- renal failure.
- Skin reactions- Skin rash, urticaria.
- Respiratory reactions- Cough, shortness of breath, pulmonary infiltrates.
Storage Requirments for Bactrim
- Keep it in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Bactrim
- Apply sunscreen before going out, Bactrim may increase the risk of sunburn and make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) to lower the unlikely risk of kidney stones forming.
- Complete the full course as prescribed (unless instructed not to do so by your doctor) to reduce the risk of resistant bacteria developing.
Is Bactrim addictive?
No, Bactrim is not addictive.
Can I have Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) with alcohol?
No, one should not have alcohol with Bactrim.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grape juice and calcium products.
Can I have Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole) when pregnant?
No, one should not have Bactrim when pregnant
Can I have Bactrim while feeding a baby?
No, one should not have Bactrim while feeding a baby.
Can I drive after taking Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole)?
No, one should not drive after taking Bactrim.
What happens if I overdose on Bactrim?
Overdosing on Bactrim may cause anorexia, fluctuating pain in the abdomen, nausea, and vomiting.
What happens if I eat expired Bactrim (Trimethoprim And Sulfamethoxazole)?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Bactrim?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Other medicine's to read: Benadryl