Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Banocide Forte?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Banocide Forte?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Banocide Forte?
- Q. What is the Onset time of Banocide Forte?
- Q. Till when does the effect of Banocide Forte stay?
- Q. When to Avoid Banocide Forte?
- Warnings When Taking Banocide Forte
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Banocide Forte?
- What are the effects of Banocide Forte on organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Banocide Forte
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Banocide Forte
- 3. Effects of Banocide Forte on Lab Tests
- 4. Banocide Forte’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Banocide Forte with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Banocide Forte when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Banocide Forte when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Banocide Forte?
- Storage requirements for Banocide Forte
- Q. What is Banocide Forte?
- Q. How long does it take for Banocide Forte to show results?
- Q. Should Banocide Forte be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Banocide Forte make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Banocide Forte doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Banocide Forte effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Banocide Forte safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Banocide Forte?
- Q. Is Banocide Forte legal in India?
What is Banocide Forte?
It is a medicine which is used to treat parasitic infestations by worms giving rise to conditions like river blindness, toxocariaisis and worm infections. Appetite loss, weakness are the most commonly seen side effects with this drug. It should be totally avoided in case of kidney diseases and pregnant or lactating women.
Banocide Forte Composition: Diethylcarbamazine 100mg
Manufactured By: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’ but also available as OTC
Form: Tablet and gel.
Price: Rs. 40.85 for 30 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antihelminthic
Uses of Banocide Forte
Banocide Forte is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- River Blindness: Used to treat cases of river blindness caused by infection with the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus.
- Filariasis: Used to treat filariasis caused by Wuchereria bancrofti.
- Loiasis: Used to treat infection caused by loa loa.
- Worm infection: Used to treat infection caused by parasitic worms.
- Toxocariasis: Used to treat infection of human eye with larvae of toxocara worms leading to blindness in some cases.
Also read: Azithromycin Uses | Becosule capsule Uses
How does Banocide Forte work?
- Banocide Forte contains Diethylcarbamazine (antihelmenthic in nature) as its main active ingredient.
- Banocide forte kills both the larvae and adult form of parasites.
- Therefore, it’s a drug of choice against parasitic infections.
How to take Banocide Forte?
- Banocide Forte is usually available in the form of tablets.
- Banocide Forte Tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after meals as food helps to prevent any potential gastric irritation the drug might cause when taken empty stomach.
- Banocide Forte Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Banocide Forte Tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses, if more than one dose a day is prescribed.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Banocide Forte
- Banocide Forte dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Banocide Forte Tablet for Loiasis, Bancroft’s filariasis and river blindness is 2-3mg/kg/day, thrice daily.
- The common Adult dose of Banocide Forte Tablet for Eosinophilic lung disease is 6mg/kg/day, thrice daily for 4-7 days.
- It is recommended to take pediatric consultation before administering the drug to children.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Also read: Atarax Dosage | Azithral Dosage
Q. What happens if I overdose on Banocide Forte?
Overdose of Banocide Forte can cause undesirable effects and can also lead to complications in few cases. Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Banocide Forte?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Banocide Forte?
Consuming expired Banocide Forte tablet might not exhibit desirable effects or any side effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Banocide Forte?
The effect of Banocide Forte can be seen within the first few days of starting drug therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Banocide Forte stay?
Time is taken by the drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. When to Avoid Banocide Forte?
Do not Consume Banocide Forte if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Banocide Forte or any of its constituents.
- Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with kidney disease or impairment.
Precautions While Taking Banocide Forte:
- Pregnant women: Avoid consuming Banocide Forte in case you are pregnant as it is not safe.
- Kidney diseases: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney impairment.
- Lactating mothers: Avoid the use of Banocide forte in lactating women.
Warnings When Taking Banocide Forte
- Avoid the drugs direct exposure to sunlight as it may affect the composition of the drug.
- Always try to consume the drug after meals to avoid any potential side effects.
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Consume plenty of fluids to counteract the potential undesirable effects of the drug.
You may also check out precautions of Ascoril Cough Syrup
Side-Effects of Banocide Forte:
The side effects associated with Banocide Forte are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Drowsiness (less common)
- Weakness (common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Banocide Forte?
- Banocide Forte is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, enlarged lymph nodes, fall in blood pressure and narrowing of airways.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Banocide Forte on organs?
- Banocide Forte should be used with caution in patients with kidney impairment as it can affect the kidneys.
Also read: Beplex Forte Side Effect | Betadine Side Effect | Betahistine Side Effect
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Banocide Forte. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Banocide Forte. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Banocide Forte
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Banocide Forte
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The drug interaction have been noticed with the antimalarial drugs (moderate)
3. Effects of Banocide Forte on Lab Tests
Banocide Forte does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Banocide Forte’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any kidney diseas
Q. Can I have Banocide Forte with alcohol?
No, it is advisable to avoid alcohol consumption while on Banocide Forte therapy as it might decrease drug efficacy. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Banocide Forte.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Banocide Forte when pregnant?
No, it is not safe to consume during pregnancy as it can harm the foetus. Always inform the doctor before taking Banocide Forte in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Banocide Forte when feeding a baby?
No, it is not safe to administer Banocide Forte tablet to Lactating mothers as the secretion of the drug in human milk can harm the baby. The doctor should always be informed.
Q. Can I drive after taking Banocide Forte?
Banocide Forte tablet can cause dizziness or drowsiness in some cases. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Banocide Forte Composition, Variant and Price
|Banocide 50mg Tablet||Diethylcarbamazine 50mg||Rs. 11.13 for 20 tablets|
|Banocide 120mg/5ml syrup||Diethylcarbamazine 120mg/5ml||Rs. 40.50 for 1pack|
|Banocide Pead 60ml syrup||Diethylcarbamazine 50mg/5ml||Rs. 25 for 1pack|
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off - Use Medlife Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons For New Users
Substitutes of Banocide Forte
The following are alternative drugs for Banocide Forte:
- Hetrazan 100mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Pfizer Ltd
- Price – Rs. 31.28
- Miracet DC Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Biomed
- Price – Rs. 26
- Resophyl Tablet:
- Manufactured by – MPI India
- Price – Rs. 18.89
Storage requirements for Banocide Forte
- Store the Banocide Forte tablet at a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight at a temperature below 30O
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Important Answered about Banocide Forte
Q. What is Banocide Forte?
Ans. Banocide Forte is an antihelminthic drug that contains Diethylcarbamazine as its main active ingredient. Banocide Forte is used mainly to treat conditions like river blindness, filariasis.
Q. How long does it take for Banocide Forte to show results?
Ans. The effect of Banocide Forte can be seen within few days of starting the drug and the time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Banocide Forte be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Banocide Forte should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Banocide Forte make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Banocide Forte may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Banocide Forte doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 6-8 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Banocide Forte should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Banocide Forte.
Q. Does Banocide Forte effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug. Banocide Forte is infact useful for painful menstruation.
Q. Is Banocide Forte safe for children?
Ans. Banocide Forte should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Banocide Forte?
Ans. Any kidney disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Banocide Forte.
Q. Is Banocide Forte legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.