Table of Contents
- What is Benadryl?
- Uses of Benadryl
- How does Benadryl work?
- How to take Benadryl?
- Benadryl Price In India
- Common Dosage for Benadryl
- When to avoid Benadryl?
- Precautions when taking Benadryl
- Side Effects of Benadryl
- Effect on organs?
- Storage Requirements for Benadryl
- Pro Tips When Taking Benadryl
- Is Benadryl addictive?
- Can I have Benadryl with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) when pregnant?
- Can I have Benadryl when feeding the baby?
- Can I drive after taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)?
- What happens if I overdose on Benadryl?
- What happens if I eat expired Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Benadryl?
What is Benadryl?
First-generation sedating H1 receptor antagonists include diphenhydramine aka Benadryl. First-generation H1 receptor antagonists penetrate the CNS and are sedating. The prototype is diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Available as a generic medication.
Manufactured By – Johnson & Johnson Ltd
Other variants and composition –
|Benadryl Cough Formula 450Ml, 150Ml, 50Ml Syrup||Diphenhydramine 14.08 MG, Ammonium chloride 0.138 GM, Sodium citrate 57.03 MG, Menthol 1.14 MG|
|Benadryl Dr 100Ml Syrup||Dextromethorphan 15 MG /5ML|
|Benadryl Softgel Capsule||Diphenhydramine 25 MG|
|Benadryl Congestion Relief 100Ml/ 50Ml Syrup||Ambroxol 15 MG, Guaifenesin 100 MG|
|Benadryl Dr 50Ml Syrup||Dextromethorphan 15 MG /5ML|
Uses of Benadryl
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is used for:
- Treatment of allergic reactions (hay fever, rhinitis, urticaria)
- Prevention and treatment of motion sickness
- Over-the-counter sleep aids
- Common cold
Other medicine's Uses: Arimidex Uses | Bactrim Uses
How does Benadryl work?
- Benadryl is a first generation H1-antihistamine and works by blocking certain effects of histamine.
- By reversing the effects of histamine on the capillaries, it can reduce the intensity of allergic symptoms.
- Its drying effects as watery eyes and runny nose are caused by blocking another natural substance acetylcholine.
How to take Benadryl?
- Benadryl comes as tablets.
- It can be used as an injection into a vein or muscle.
- Each dose should be taken with water.
- In case of motion sickness and as a sleep aid, Benadryl should be taken 30 minutes before.
- Benadryl can be taken with or without food.
Benadryl Price In India
|Benadryl Syrup:bottle of 50ml Syrup||Rs 46|
|Benadryl Syrup: Bottle of 450ml Syrup||Rs 173|
|Benadryl Syrup:Bottle of 150 ml Syrup||Rs 90|
|Benadryl DR Kids Syrup: Bottle of 100ml Syrup||Rs 85|
|Benadryl Syrup DR Dry Cough Active Relief:Bottle of 100 ml Syrup||Rs 85|
Common Dosage for Benadryl
- 1 tablet every 4 to 6 hours to children or as prescribed by the doctor.
- 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours in case of adults.
- Benadryl should not be given to children below 6 years of age.
When to avoid Benadryl?
- Do not take Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) with alcohol otherwise, it will make you drowsy. Both Benadryl and alcohol are CNS depressants.
- Use Benadryl only to treat allergy symptoms.
- Medications that contain diphenhydramine, including creams and gels, interact with Benadryl and cause problems.
- Benadryl and other diphenhydramine products can make you drowsy, so you shouldn’t drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Benadryl affects you.
Precautions when taking Benadryl
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to Benadryl or dimenhydrinate.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) may make you dizzy or drowsy or blur your vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness or clear vision until you can do it safely.
- Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of Benadryl. This drug can often cause excitement in young children instead of drowsiness.
- Drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion can increase the risk of falling in older patients.
Side Effects of Benadryl
Some reported side effects of Benadryl are:
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
- Dry nose and throat
Also Read: Celexa Side Effect | Concerta Side Effect | Copaxone Side Effect
Effect on organs?
- Nervous system- Sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, headache, attention disturbance.
- Gastrointestinal- Dry mouth
- Cardiovascular- Palpitations, hypotension, arrhythmia
- Hepatic- Liver dysfunction
- Psychiatric- Confusion, depression, sleep disturbances
Storage Requirements for Benadryl
- Keep Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) in a dry place, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Should be kept in a tight container.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Benadryl
- If you are taking an oral form of Benadryl, you should not use a skin product version of it at the same time.
- If taken on a regular basis Benadryl may cause a dry mouth, which may increase the risk of dental caries and worsen the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Is Benadryl addictive?
No, but taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at higher doses for a longer time may cause withdrawal symptoms.
Can I have Benadryl with alcohol?
No, alcohol may increase the drowsiness caused by Benadryl.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, until your doctor says so.
Can I have Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) when pregnant?
Yes, no harm is detected during pregnancy.
Can I have Benadryl when feeding the baby?
No, Benadryl is not recommended while breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)?
No, a typical dose creates driving impairment.
What happens if I overdose on Benadryl?
Overdosing can be fatal, leading to cardiovascular collapse.
What happens if I eat expired Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)?
It is advised not to take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Benadryl?
Take the next dose at the scheduled time. Never take more than the dose for a missed one.
Also read about other medicine: Zovirax