About Almond Oil
This oil is extracted from raw almonds. A native of Middle East, Indian subcontinent and Africa, almond oil is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains abundant quantities of monounsaturated fatty acids, many vitamins, minerals as well as trace elements. Known by the scientific name Prunus dulcis, almond oil is widely used oil due to its benefits for skin, hair and health.
Properties of Almond Oil
- Anti-hepatotoxicity outcome
Types of Almond Oil
Sweet Almond Oil: The oil is produced from the sweet almond tree prunus dulcis, var. amygdalus, that produces the commercial variety of almonds. The flowers of the tree are generally white in colour. The oil is considered as a base or carrier oil.
Bitter Almond Oil: The oil is obtained from the almond tree, prunus dulcis, var. amara. The flowers of the tree are white in colour. These almonds are broader and shorter than the sweet almonds. The oil is used as an essential oil.
Benefits of Almond Oil for Your Hair
- Gives Long & Healthy Hair: Almond oil is rich in Magnesium and prevents hair fall. The oil also adds shine and smoothness to hair with regular use.
- Helps Reduce Split Ends: Almond oil is rich in anti-oxidants, essential minerals and vitamins. Regular massage with the oil helps you get rid of split ends.
- Acts as a Natural Conditioner: Almond oil has a light consistency and can act as a natural substitute for shine enhancers which are usually loaded with chemicals. Almond oil moisturising properties as it contains fatty acids and vitamin E.
- Addresses Dandruff Issues: Almond oil has emollient properties which cleans the skin by eliminating the dead cells. This attribute of the oil aids in dandruff removal and keeping the scalp healthy.
- Lowers Inflammations of the Scalp: The scalp endures heat, dust, environmental pollution, chemical laden hair care products. These can play havoc on scalp health and cause inflammation which can lead to dandruff and hair fall. Almond oil adds moisture and softens the scalp to reduce the inflammation.
Know more about the benefits of almond oil for your hair here
Benefits of Almond Oil for Your Skin
Promotes Healthy Skin: Almond oil is rich in vitamins such as E, A and B. Applying almond oil to skin locks the moisture in the skin and improves absorption. It gives a warm glowing complexion to the face.
Reduce Under Eye Dark Circles: Almond oil is enriched with vitamin E which can rejuvenate the skin and lighten the dark circles under the eye. Over time, with regular use, almond oil can also minimise wrinkles and crow’s feet near the eyes.
Acts as an Anti-Aging Agent: The fatty acids and vitamin E content in almond oil reverses skin aging. The oil aids skin renewal and reduces sagging of the skin.
Removes Dead Skin Cells: Almond oil has moisturizing effect which helps to remove the impurities and dead skin cells.
Addresses Psoriasis & Eczema: Being an emollient, almond oil soothes inflammations and soothes the skin. It moisturizes the skin and cures Psoriasis and Eczema.
Acts as a Sunscreen: Almond oil has SPF 5 and acts as a shield against sun tan and sun burn. The vitamin E in almond oil nourishes and protects the skin from harmful UV radiation.
Hand & Foot Cream: The zinc content in almond oil cures cracked heels and soothes rough skin.
Makeup Remover: The light texture of the oil makes it an excellent makeup remover. It opens up pores and removes all makeup.
Cures Chapped Lips: Almond oil can serve as a lip balm. Its vitamin E and moisturising properties can heal chapped lips making them soft and pink.
Learn more about the benefits of almond oil for your skin here.
Health Benefits of Almond Oil
- Heart Disorders: Sweet almond oil is enriched with folic acid, unsaturated fats, potassium and protein which make it an ideal choice to preserve heart health
- Blood Pressure & Cholesterol Levels: Almond oil has levels of potassium and low sodium content which can address cardiac problems
- Immunity & Digestion: Consuming almond oil regularly can fight against infections. It is also a natural laxative. It loosens the stools and aids in digestion
- Memory Booster and Nervous System Enhancer: A good source of omega- 3 fatty acids and potassium, almond oil is well known to nourish the nervous system and enhance memory
- Massage Oil: Almond oil is an excellent source of vitamin D which is required for calcium absorption. Massaging a baby with almond oil can enhance blood circulation and keep skin problems at bay. For Adults, a massage with almond oil can reduce muscular aches and pains.
- Cancer Prevention: Almond oil is a good source of fibre and can prevent colon cancer
Uses of Almond Oil
- Aids in weight loss
- As a laxative
- Beneficial in blood sugar control
- Stretch marks treatment
- Dressing on salads
- A natural alternative to mascara to avail long eyelashes
- Used to manufacture body and face washes, face masks and packs and soap bars
You may also want to know various ways of using almond oil.
How to Apply Almond Oil on Your Hair
- Almond oil can be used once or twice a week. You can massage the scalp with almond oil
- Take a towel which is soaked in hot water and wrap it around the head. This step helps hair fall reduction and enhances hair quality
You can also use almond oil on your beard. There are many benefits of almond oil for your beard. You can even use a combination of oils to maintain a healthy bear.
How to Apply Almond Oil on Your Face
- You can make a face scrub by mixing 4-5 almonds (crushed), 1 teaspoon milk, few drops of lemon juice and gram flour.
- Apply the paste on face and then wash it off with water after 30 minutes
Know More: Benefits of Almond Oil For Face
How to Use Almond Oil as a Massage Oil
Almond oil contains vitamin D and serves as an excellent massage oil. It is a light oil which gets easily absorbed in the skin.
- Before application to enhance absorption, heat the oil to body temperature before using for massage
- You can also mix 2-3 drops of an essential oil for added benefits
Massaging your baby with almond oil has several benefits. Know more about the benefits of almond oil for baby here.
Almond Oil Dosage: How Much of it is Safe?
25-168 g per day is considered safe
Possible Side Effects of Almond Oil
Consuming almond oil in excess can lead to vitamin E overdose. This can lead to diarrhea, light-headedness, weakness and fuzzy vision. Weight gain is another side effect of overconsumption of almond oil. Also, Cyanide poisoning and even death can occur from bitter almond consumption.
Where to Buy Almond Oil
Best Brands that Sell Almond Oil