Skip to Content
- What are Almonds?
- Nutritional Characteristics of Almonds
- How to Consume Almonds
- Side Effects and Precautions
- How many almonds should I eat a day?
- What do almonds do for your body?
- Are too many almonds bad for you? Can almonds make you fat?
- Can almonds kill you? Are almonds poisonous?
- Can almonds be eaten raw?
- Can almonds help you lose weight?
- How can you tell the quality of almonds?
- Do Almonds reduce belly fat?
- Do Almonds help in hair growth?
- Is eating almonds good before bed?
- Where to Buy Almonds?
What are Almonds?
Almonds are oval-shaped nuts that are native to India, North Africa and the Middle East. They grow in a hard-woody shell and the fruit inside the shell is widely consumed as a food. Almonds have a buttery taste and can be added to any dish or added raw to make a healthy snack.
Nutritional Characteristics of Almonds
- Rich in Vitamins (E, B-6, B-12)
- Contains minerals (phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper, etc.)
- Has anti-oxidant properties
- Contains fatty acids (Omega-3 and Omega-6)
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Natural moisturizer
To know more about the nutritional value of almonds, read: Almond Nutritional Value: How Do Almonds Benefit Your Body?
Benefits of Almonds for Hair
According to Dr. Alison G. Kamil, Anti-oxidants Research Laboratory, Tufts University, The United States, consumption of 30 gm of almonds everyday can reduce microbial growth in your scalp.
- Prevents dandruff
- Cures itchy scalp
- Gets rid of frizzy hair
- Prevents hairfall
- Prevents split ends
- Promotes hair growth
- Prevents premature greying of hair
To know more about the benefits of almonds for hair, read: 7 Benefits Of Almonds For Hair
Benefits of Almonds for Skin/Face
According to Dr. Karen Gill from the University of California states that eating almonds can boost Vitamin E levels in the diet as it is a powerful anti-oxidant that defends your cell against damage.
- Prevents ageing of your skin
- Reduces melanin production in your skin
- Provides a healthy glow to your skin
- Cures skin disorders like rosacea or psoriasis
- Keeps your skin hydrated
- Reduces inflammation from your skin
Benefits of Almonds for Body Health
Zohreh Abazarfard, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran, states that consumption of almonds shows an effective reduction in lipid profile in overweight and obese people.
- Reduces cholesterol
- Maintains blood sugar level
- Reduces weight
- Might Prevents cancer
- Prevents heart diseases
- Removes oxidants from your body
How to Consume Almonds
- Spread 4–5 almonds on your toast for your morning breakfast
- Sprinkle 5–6 crushed almonds on your cereal, lunchtime salad or on steamed vegetables
- You can also eat 4–5 raw almonds in your breakfast, lunch or dinner (preferably two times)
- Add 4–5 almonds in your plain yoghurt
- Add almonds to your apple slices for a power snack
- Add almonds to your chicken dish
Side Effects and Precautions
Almonds are 100% natural and they do not cause any side effects. However, consuming a lot of almonds in a day (more than 10–12) can cause gastric problems as almonds are rich in fiber content.
Also Read: Benefits of Walnut
Important Questions About Almond Answered
How many almonds should I eat a day?
Almonds contain Vitamin E which is a potent anti-oxidant. You can eat 8-10 soaked almonds to boost your immunity.
What do almonds do for your body?
Almonds add the much-needed essential vitamins and minerals to your body. It offers myriad benefits like weight loss, improved metabolism, enhanced immunity and blood pressure regulation amongst other benefits. .
Are too many almonds bad for you? Can almonds make you fat?
Almonds if eaten in excesscan make you gain weight or you might have digestive issues if you over-consume the nut.
Can almonds kill you? Are almonds poisonous?
No, almonds can’t kill you but can cause several digestive issues, weight gain, over dose of Vitamin E, spasms and can interfere with any medication (if over consumed).
Can almonds be eaten raw?
Almonds can be eaten raw as they provide a multitude of benefits attributed to high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for heat and arteries.
Can almonds help you lose weight?
Almonds can help you lose weight as they are rich in dietary fibre and can be consumed as a filling snack in the morning or evening.
How can you tell the quality of almonds?
While purchasing almonds, chop or slice an almond and check for the solid white texture throughout. If it seems yellow or a honeycomb texture, it should be discarded as it is way past its prime.
Do Almonds reduce belly fat?
There is no evidence that almonds help reduce belly fat. However, snacking on almonds fills your stomach and controls the consumption of other harmful carbohydrates. The reduced consumption of high glycaemic index food items helps reduce belly fat.
Do Almonds help in hair growth?
Almonds help replenish the deficiency of Vitamin E which makes your hair grow longer, shinier and silkier. Its high biotin content also helps in hair growth.
Is eating almonds good before bed?
Yes, eating almonds before going to bed is good for your health.
Where to Buy Almonds?
There are various websites where you can buy 100% pure almonds. You can save money by using these: