Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ashokarishta?
- 2 Health Benefits of Ashokarishta
- 3 Uses of Ashokarishta
- 4 How To Use Ashokarishta?
- 5 Dosage
- 6 Side Effects and Contradictions of Ashokarishta
- 7 Precautions and Warnings for Consuming Ashokarishta
- 8 16 Important Questions About Ashokarishta Answered
- 9 Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Ashokarishta
- 10 Dabur Ashokarishta
- 11 Best price
- 12 Best price
- 13 Where to Buy:
- 14 Popular Brands for Ashokarishta Tonic
- 15 Research about Ashokarishta
What is Ashokarishta?
Ashokarishta (also known as withania somnifera) is an Ayurvedic medicine used widely to treat several gynaecological diseases and menstrual problems. It contains about 5% to 10% of self-generated alcohol which is its active compound. Ashokarishta benefits in ovarian diseases and uterine disorders mainly. It is made up of medicinal ingredients like Ashoka, Musta, Vibhitaki, Jeeraka, Vasa, Dhataki etc. which help to appease the pain during period of menstrual cycle.
Health Benefits of Ashokarishta
It focuses on the female reproductive system. Ashokarishta benefits in ovarian diseases and uterine disorders. It balances the hormones levels in the body and has many other benefits like:
Pelvic inflammatory diseases
Ashokarishta helps manage pelvic inflammatory diseases. The herbs present in it produces a strong anti-inflammatory effect, which helps prevent damage to the uterus, ovaries, and other reproductive organs.
Aids in Menorrhagia, Metrorrhagia & Menometrorrhagia
- Menorrhagia refers to abnormally heavy or prolonged periods or menstruation.
- Metrorrhagia refers to prolonged and excessive uterine bleeding not triggered by menstruation. It generally is an indicator of other uterine diseases.
- Menometrorrhagia is a combination of menorrhagia and metrorrhagia. In this case, heavy bleeding occurs regardless of menstruation.
Helps in painful periods
When combined with other herbs, it improves uterine functions and modulates contractions giving strength to the uterus. It also reduces premenstrual headache, lower back pain, and nausea. Therefore, ashokarishta benefits during painful periods.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Ashokarishta’s use, in this case, is very different so it must be used with care.
Ashokarishta benefits during menopause. It helps prevent bone mineral loss which starts during menopause.
Ashokarishta is also instrumental in improving the overall health condition. Its ingredients contain essential elements like Ajaji, Guda, Chandana, Amrasthi etc. help you attain a positive health.
Fosters stamina and eliminates fatigue
The goodness of 100% Ayurvedic formula stimulates the overall level of stamina in women.
Improves digestive system
Ashokarishta is helpful in boosting the digestive system. It improves the metabolism and contributes towards fighting loss of appetite.
You may also read: Spirulina Benefits
Uses of Ashokarishta
Ashokarishta acts like a one stop solution for a plethora of health issues. Some of the best known uses are enlisted below:
1. Cure for health concerns: Ashokarishta is instrumental in curing many health related ailments like menstruation pain, heavy periods, fever, bleeding, indigestion, to name a few.
2. Abdominal pain relief: It acts as a great source to ease away the pain in the troubling days for women.
3. Women friendly herb: Ashokarishta is touted to be made of women friendly herb, thanks to a variety of health related concerns it addresses.
4. Improves bowel movement: Ashokarishta acts as a great source of fibre which in turn, boosts your bowel movement.
5. Boosts immunity: It is useful in improving the overall immunity and prevent diseases like malaria, arthritic pain, bacterial infections, diabetes, diarrhea etc.
6. Prevention of ulcers: Ashokarishta is anti inflammatory in nature which helps to reduce the risk of occurrence of ulcers.
You may also like: Cloves Uses
How To Use Ashokarishta?
There are multiple things that must be kept in mind before consuming Ashokarishta. Few of the important questions are answered below:
Q. Can Ashokarishta be consumed before or after meals?
Ashokarishta must always be consumed after your meals. It is not very effective to consume it with empty stomach.
Q. Can Ashokarishta be consumed in empty stomach?
Ayurvedic doctors suggests that Ashokarishta must be consumed after having your meals. It does not benefit in empty stomach.
It is still recommended to take the consultation of your doctor before consuming it.
Q. Can Ashokarishta be consumed with water?
Yes. It is the best way to consume it. You must mix the syrup in equal quantity of water to make it most effective.
5-10 ml, once or twice a day
After meals in equal amount of water
Children (5-10 years)
Children (below 5 years)
Important tip: Medical advice is strongly suggested as the dose and combination of Ashokarishta Syrup varies for different medical concerns. It is also advisable to consult your Physician before giving any dose to children.
Side Effects and Contradictions of Ashokarishta
- May cause acidity and heartburn: This is because of the presence of alcohol and sugars in Ashokarishta.
- Using Ashokarishta causes heavy menstrual bleeding but not scanty bleeding.
- May delay period: If consumed for wrong complaint, it may lead to delay in period or prolonged menstrual cycles.
- It may reduce menstrual blood flow at the time of periods.
- Ashokarishta is not useful in treating blocked fallopian tubes.
- Not suitable for diabetes patients: As it contains jaggery, it will jeopardise the health of a diabetic patient.
- Should not be taken during pregnancy: It causes overheating, dehydration and fainting which can have severe repercussions during pregnancy.
- Should not be consumed in case of irregular prolonged cycle.
- Should be used in lower does during lactation period. Consuming Ashokarishta in high dosage during lactation period may not be healthy for the infant.
- May cause high blood pressure: It may increase your heart beat and narrow your blood vessels, laying ground for high blood pressure.
- May cause vomiting or nausea: This can occur because of consuming Ashokarishta in an inappropriate quantity.
Precautions and Warnings for Consuming Ashokarishta
Q. Can Ashokarishta be consumed before driving?
Yes. It can be consumed before driving. However, one must consume it in the prescribed quantity in equal blend with water to avert any negative repercussion.
Q. Can Ashokarishta be consumed with alcohol?
Ashokarishta contain 9%-10% self generated alcohol which acts as a medium for active ingredients of the herbs to dissolve in it. That said, it is quite safe to consume it as a medicine.
Q. Can Ashokarishta be addictive?
No. It is formed by natural ingredients and is unlikely to cause make you addictive. It is extremely effective in
Q. Can Ashokarishta make you drowsy?
No. One of the benefits of consuming Ashokarishta is that it makes the woman energetic. It is known to boost the stamina and eliminate fatigue and ltardiness.
Q. Can you overdose on Ashokarishta?
No. It is not wise to consume it in a quantity deemed excess. An adult must consume 5 ml-10 ml of Ashokarishta after meal to get the best result.
16 Important Questions About Ashokarishta Answered
Can Ashokarishta reduce the symptoms of PCOD?
Ashokarishta alone is not effective in reducing the symptoms of PCOS/PCOD. Supporting remedies like Chandraprabha Vati, Sukumaram Kashayam are used along with Ashokarishta to reduce the effect. Ashokarishta if taken along with Chandraprabha Vati helps normalize the hormone levels and treat PCOS symptoms. Always consult a doctor before incorporating it to your diet.
Does any natural remedy for menstrual cramping actually work?
Yes, many natural remedies for menstrual cramping actually work wonders if done right. While you can use Ashokarishta along with some supporting remedies, always consult an Ayurvedic Specialist to know about its effects and the use.
Is There A Remedy For Endometriosis In Ayurveda?
Yes, there are many remedies for Endometriosis in Ayurveda. Ashokarishta is one of those effective natural remedies that can be consumed along with other remedies if taken in the right combination.
What are the best Ayurvedic medicines to maintain a regular period cycle?
Some of the best Ayurvedic medicines that maintain a regular period cycle are:
- Asafoetida (make the period smooth)
- Henna (For painful menstruation and reducing the heavy flow)
- Castor Oil (Effective for those who experience congestive pain during their menstrual cycle)
- Ashwagandha (to reduce the heavy flow during menstruation)
- Liquorice (to reduce the heavy flow during menstruation)
- Ashokarista along with supporting remedies like Sukumara Ghritham (to improve fertility)
What is the best treatment based on Ayurveda for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?
Ayurvedic herbs and their formulations effectively reduce the problems associated with PCOS. They also help strengthen the reproductive system. It is best to avoid junk food, sugary products, red meat, fried food and potatoes. Consume herbs like Shilajit, Shatavari, Guduchi, Neem, Amla, Lodhra, Cinnamon, fenugreek and Haritaki every day in small quantities. Ashokarishtha is an effective cure for PCOS.
Does Ashokarishta helps in reducing weight?
It contains Ayurvedic ingredients that propel detoxification which may help you lose weight. However, caution must be exercised in consuming the right amount of quantity. For best result, consult your doctor to check the apt quantity.
Is Ashokarishta really beneficial?
Ashokarishta is an Ayurvedic medication that deals with menstrual concerns. The natural composition of its ingredients are extremely effective in healing other worries like inflammatory diseases, cancer, diarrhea, malaria, diabetes, piles, high fever etc.
Is Ashokarishta good to regulate periods?
Yes. Doctors suggests that consuming Ashokarishta for a period of 1-2 months can help a woman regulate her periods.
What is it made up of?
Ashokarishta is made up of Ashoka, Dhataki, Amlaki, Guda, Shunti, Jeeraka, Chandana, Musta and Kashayam. These are very useful herbs that benefits our health in multiple ways.
What are its storage requirements?
It must be stored at a cool and dry place. Once opened, it must be kept away from the reach of children.
How long do I need to use it before I see improvement in my condition?
Using Ashokarishta for a period of 4-6 weeks will start showing results. It is very effective in streamlining the entire system
How many times a day do I need to use it ?
It must be consumed once or twice in a day in a quantity ranging between 5 ml & 10 ml. It is important to consume it in equal quantum with water.
Does it have any effect on breast feeding?
No. It does not have any adverse effect on breast feeding. In face, it contains calcium which promotes growth of bones and joints.
Is it safe for kids?
Ashokarishta is safe for kids, provided it is consumed in prescribed quantity. However, it should not be given to children under 5 years of age.
Does it have any effect on pregnancy?
Yes. It can have an effect on hormone level which can directly affect pregnant woman. Hence, it should not be used during pregnancy.
Does it contain sugar?
It contains sugar and jaggery along with other herbal ingredients. Presence of sugar helps to boost the health of your brain.
Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Ashokarishta
Ashokarishtam – Aswini Pharmaceutical
Where to Buy:
Popular Brands for Ashokarishta Tonic
Research about Ashokarishta
Ashokarishta is an Ayurvedic tonic that is helpful for women in multiple ways. It helps them ease off the pain caused during the menstrual period. It also helps to fight against a lot of health related problems like fatigue, drowsiness, cancer, ulcer, leprosy etc.