Table of Contents
What is Saffron?
Saffron is one of the most popular spices in the Indian cuisine. The royal spice has a rich colour, scent and flavour. It is found in thread for in nature and is commonly powdered before use. It also has multiple medicinal properties. Read on to find out how Saffron is good for your health.
Nutritional Characteristics of Saffron
- Extremely rich in manganese
- Rich in proteins
- Contains dietary fiber
- Free of cholesterol
- Contains essential vitamins like Folate, Riboflavin, Niacin and Pyridoxine
- Rich in Careotenoids which have anti-cancer properties
Benefits of Saffron for Hair
- Antioxidant properties prevent hair loss
- Purifies scalp and pores
- Promotes healthy hair growth
- Repairs damaged hair
Benefits of Saffron for Skin
- Makes skin radiant
- Lightens skin tone
- Treats acne and blemishes
- Acts as a toner
- Treats dry skin
- Heals wounds and lightens scars
Benefits of Saffron for Health
- Caretonoids aid in treating cancers including leukaemia, breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- Uplifts mood, helps treat depression and induces sleep
- Anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties cure indigestion
- It can help treat ulcers and colitis
- Enhances immunity and
- Boosts energy and keeps the mind alert
- It can be used to treat menstrual pain however evidence supporting this is limited
- Keeps arteries and veins healthy, preventing various heart diseases
Also Read: Benefits of Saffron during Pregnency
How To Use Saffron
For Overall Health
- Add saffron strands to food to make it presentable and healthier
- Blend saffron and sugar to make a sweet dressing
- Saffron powder can be added to milk for a healthy drink
35g or 4-5 strands of saffron can be consumed everyday.
- Mix saffron with your regular hair oil
- Apply liberally into your roots and leave it overnight
- Wash off with mild shampoo
This hair mask will make your hair shinier and stronger
- Mix saffron and milk to make a face pack
- Apple on face and keep for 15 minutes
- Wash off with cold water
This pack gives lighter, brighter, nourished and glowing skin.
11 Important Questions About Saffron Answered
Why is Saffron the most expensive spice in the world?
Saffron is a labor-intensive crop which is grown in the Mediterranean, in the Middle East and in India. The Arabs brought the spice with them to Spain. Spain is now the world’s largest producer of saffron.
What is the use of Saffron?
Saffron can be used for improving overall health, strengthening the hair and for achieving a glowing skin.
What is the cost of real Saffron?
The retail price of saffron can be anywhere between $5000 per pound to $10,000 per pound.
Can Saffron kill you?
Too much of Saffron can be fatal. The intake of 7-8 grams of Saffron can be extremely dangerous for your health and is enough to kill you.
What are the side effects of Saffron?
High doses of Saffron can lead to poisoning. They can also cause yellow looking skin, eyes, and mucous membranes, along with vomiting, dizziness, bloody diarrhea, bleeding from the nose, lips, and eyelids, or numbness.
Can we eat Saffron daily?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to consume about 15-200 milligrams of dried saffron daily.
Does Saffron have any health benefits?
Saffron is an extremely effective remedy for curing cancer, treating depression, insomnia, ulcer, colitis, and menstrual pain. This natural product is also known to enhance immunity and boost energy.
Can Saffron be eaten raw?
Raw saffron does not have a pleasant taste as it is quite bitter. You can consume Saffron by dissolving it in hot water or milk to bring out its exclusive aroma.
Can Saffron lighten the skin complexion?
Yes, Saffron helps in making the skin radiant and lightens the skin tone. It is a natural product that works well in clearing the face spots, thus giving a fairer skin.
Does Saffron expire?
Saffron must be stored in a cool and dry place. Although it has a shelf life of up to 4 years when kept in a pantry, once opened, it is advisable to use it as soon as possible for optimal flavour.
Does Saffron increase weight?
No, Saffron is rather useful in appetite management. Saffron supplements help to reduce cravings and prevent compulsive overeating.
Where to Buy Saffron?
Saffron has many benefits for skin, hair and health. Use of saffron can help treat many diseases and get rid of several health issues. You can buy saffron and saffron products from: