Table of Contents
- 1 What is Triphala?
- 2 Characteristics of Triphala
- 3 Benefits of Triphala
- 4 How to Use Triphala for Health Benefits
- 5 Benefits of Triphala for Skin
- 6 How to Use Triphala for Skin
- 7 Benefits of Triphala for Hair
- 8 How to Use Triphala for Hair
- 9 Triphala Dosage: How Much Should You Take?
- 10 Side Effects and Precautions
- 11 Where to Buy?
What is Triphala?
‘Phala’ in Sanskrit means fruit and ‘Tri’ means three. Triphala is composed of the powder of three fruits namely:
These three fruits have unique healing properties and have 5 different tastes (sour, sweet, salty, bitter, pungent) to it. It is believed that these three fruits are enough to cure three ailments of your body:
- Vata Dosha (movements in the mind and body)
- Kapha Dosha (structure and fluid balance in the body)
- Pitta Dosha (governs digestive fire in the body)
You may also like: Himalaya Triphala | Triphala Powder
Characteristics of Triphala
- Natural laxative
- Anti-oxidant properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Anti-bacterial properties
- Anti-viral properties
- Adaptogen (makes your body adapt to stress)
- Acts as hemoglobin Booster
- Cancer fighting properties
Benefits of Triphala
Keeps Digestive System Healthy
Triphala is a natural laxative that regulates your bowel movements. Consumption of 1 tablespoon of triphala with water can relieve digestive issues like bloating, loose motions and even gastric issues. Kate Denniston, Department of Naturopathic Medicine, University of San Diego, states that triphala water detoxifies your stomach and keeps your digestive system healthy.
Triphala is a powerful agent that sharpens vision and relaxes your eye muscles. You can make triphala eye wash using triphala powder. Mix the powder in a ceramic bowl filled with lukewarm water. Now, dip your eyes into the bowl for 2–3 minutes. Repeat the procedure for 2–3 times to make your eyes healthy.
Regulates Blood Circulation
Triphala improves blood circulation and increases blood cell count in your body. You can consume 1 tablespoon of Triphala churna or powder with water twice in a day.
Triphala improves blood circulates and makes your digestive system healthy. The essential vitamins and minerals present in Triphala detoxify your body that in return, boosts immunity.
Aids in Weight Loss
Triphala clears the digestive system that restricts the deposition of extra fat in adipose tissue. It also secretes a hormone cholecystokinin that makes you feel fuller. 1 tablespoon of triphala churna once in a day is enough to help you lose weight naturally.
Triphala churna or powder increases insulin absorption in your cells. It is easier to treat Type-II diabetes without taking insulin shots.
Relieves Joint Pain
Triphala has essential vitamins and minerals that strengthen your bones. It also relieves you from arthritis, gout and other joint pains. One tablespoon of triphala powder twice in a day provides the much-needed strength to your bones.
Reduces Hormonal Imbalance
Triphala balances secretion and absorption of hormones in your body. Deepak Chopra, Department of Ayurveda and Yoga Research, Carlsbad, CA states that triphala works best as an anti-inflammatory agent and helps reduce many health issues. It reduces menstrual cramps and promotes regular menstrual cycle which is necessary for all your hormones to work properly.
Also read: Triphala Guggul Benefits
How to Use Triphala for Health Benefits
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Triphala churna in a glass of water
- Drink the mixture every night before sleeping
- Triphala can also be consumed in tablet and capsule form
Caution: Do not consume any food after consuming this mixture. You can drink water after some time.
Benefits of Triphala for Skin
Cures Acne Breakouts
The anti-oxidant properties of triphala reduce the occurrence of acne. It has moisturizing properties as well to make your skin soft and supple.
Triphala reduces the irritation caused due to eczema. You can apply triphala water to the affected areas to calm down itchiness and dryness.
How to Use Triphala for Skin
- Mix 3 tablespoons of Triphala powder in water
- Warm the mixture for about 4–5 minutes
- Apply the resultant paste on the face and neck
- Wash off after about 15 minutes
Benefits of Triphala for Hair
Triphala has anti-inflammatory properties that fight dandruff and prevents hair loss. You can drink a glass of triphala water or apply it on your scalp to relieve you from an itchy scalp.
Triphala can be used as a hair mask to reduce dandruff from your scalp. Apply triphala on your scalp and leave it for 15–20 minutes. After that, shampoo your hair thoroughly.
How to Use Triphala for Hair
- Make a paste (mix 2 tablespoons of Triphala powder and 5 tablespoons of water)
- Massage the paste on the scalp
- Leave it for 15–20 minutes
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly
Triphala Dosage: How Much Should You Take?
Consumption of 10–12 gm of triphala powder in a day is enough to give effective results.
Caution: Do not consume triphala powder more than 12 gm in a day (1 tablet for a day)
Side Effects and Precautions
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking Triphala churna as it can cause miscarriage.
- Taking Triphala churna more than the recommended amount can lead to diarrhea and dehydration.
- Diabetic patients should consult their doctors before starting a regular consumption of triphala.
- People experiencing bloating issues should take small quantities of the churna as it can lead to gastric issues.
Where to Buy?
Best Brands to Buy Triphala
- Naturz Ayurveda