Table of Contents
Ever wondered what the point of using a conditioner is? Well, shampoos are essential for cleaning your hair but conditioning helps repair hair and controls hair damage. Each strand of hair has a fish scale-like follicles that stand out when damaged. This causes problems like roughness and dullness.
Conditioners seal your hair cuticle after shampooing and lock in the nutrients. They contain moisturizers, oils, and sunscreen etc. They promote hair growth by strengthening the hair shaft, preventing breakage and fighting split ends.
What to Look For
- Argan Oil
- Shea Butter
- Pathenol (Vit B5)
- Cetearal Alcohol
- Coconut Oil/Butter
What to Avoid
- Mineral Oil (Clogs pores)
- Propylene glycol (Fakes a shiny appearance)
- Synthetic Fragrance
How to Condition Your Hair
- Apply conditioner or homemade natural conditioner through the length of your hair to the tips.
- Avoid conditioning from the roots to prevent over conditioning.
- Gently run a wide-toothed comb through your hair to ensure each strand is conditioned.
- Leave your conditioner to work for at least 2-5 minutes.
- Rinse until your hair is no longer slippery and the water runs clear.
- Do not apply conditioner on very wet hair as the conditioner will not coat your hair.
- Focus on the ends – the oldest and most damaged sections of your hair.
- Use a Deep conditioner at least twice a week. Know more about best deep conditioning hair masks available in the market.
- Buy conditioner best suited to your hair type.
- Pre-conditioning works wonders for long hair and fine hair types.
- Use serums or leave in conditioners to help fight heat and pollution damage.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Using too much conditioner will weigh down your hair and make it greasy
- Make sure the conditioner isn’t being applied to the roots
- Skipping conditioner will make your hair dry and more susceptible to damage
- Experiment with products to discover what suits your hair and scalp the best.
Confused with so many conditioners available in the market, which one to choose from? Here is a list of the 10 best hair conditioners available that are worth investing.