Skip to Content
- What is Benzonatate?
- Uses of Benzonatate
- How does Benzonatate work?
- How to Take Benzonatate?
- Benzonatate Price In India
- Common Dosage for Benzonatate?
- When to Avoid Benzonatate?
- Side-effects of Benzonatate?
- Effects on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Is Benzonatate Addictive?
- Can I have Benzonatate with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Benzonatate when pregnant?
- Can I have Benzonatate when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Benzonatate?
- What happens if I overdose on Benzonatate?
- What happens if I eat expired Benzonatate?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Benzonatate?
- Storage Requirements for Benzonatate
- Pro Tips When Taking Benzonatate
What is Benzonatate?
Benzonatate is an antitussive medicine used in the treatment of cough.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Discount Coupon | Pharmeasy Coupon
Uses of Benzonatate
Benzonatate is used to treat cough caused by common cold or other breathing problems like bronchitis, asthma etc. Benzonatate is available in two forms:
- Perles – 100mg Benzonatate
- Capsules – 200mg Benzonatate
Also Read: Wellbutrin Uses | Zithromax Uses
How does Benzonatate work?
Benzonatate is an anti-tussive which works by reducing the activity of cough centre in brain thereby making you cough less.
How to Take Benzonatate?
- Benzonatate is available in oral soft gel capsule form and should be administered in a manner as suggested by your doctor.
- Benzonatate can be taken with or without food but at a fixed time.
- Keep enough time duration between multiple doses when taking more than one dose per day.
- Do not break or chew the capsule. Swallow it as a whole with plenty of water.
- If using it as an over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Benzonatate Price In India
|Strip of 12 Capsules||Rs 88.00|
Other medicine's Price: Breo-Ellipta Price
Common Dosage for Benzonatate?
- The dosage of Benzonatate is based on the age, severity of symptoms and response to the initial dose.
- The recommended dose for adults and children is 100mg or 200mg capsules three times a day as needed for cough. Maximum recommended dose is 600mg per day.
When to Avoid Benzonatate?
Benzonatate should not be used in:
- Patients sensitive or allergic to any of its components
- Pregnant and lactating females
Side-effects of Benzonatate?
List of possible side effect from Benzonatate:
- GI upset
- Nasal congestion
In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effects on organs?
No adverse effect seen on any organ.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions have been reported with Benzonatate. Signs of allergic reaction include :
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of lips, tongue, and face.
- Loss of Consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Whenever a person takes more than one medicine, chances of drug interaction or increased incidence of side effects are always there. Always inform the doctor if you are taking any other over the counter drug, herbal or vitamin supplement. List of all possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Benzonatate commonly interacts with the following drugs:
Shows Effects / Results In
Benzonatate starts working in 15-20 minutes following oral administration and its effects last for 3-8 hours.
Is Benzonatate Addictive?
No. However self-medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Benzonatate with alcohol?
- Concomitant use of alcohol and Benzonatate increases the risk of side effects like drowsiness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Thus consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Benzonatate. Always consult your doctor before using it.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Benzonatate does not interact with any food products.
Can I have Benzonatate when pregnant?
- Benzonatate has shown adverse effects on the foetus in animal studies and thus should be avoided during pregnancy. It should only be indicated if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Benzonatate when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Benzonatate is excreted in breast milk or not. Thus avoid the use of Benzonatate while lactation.
- Inform and consult your doctor for case specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Benzonatate?
- Few patients experience side effects like drowsiness, headache, and dizziness when on Benzonatate.
- In such patients, it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Benzonatate?
- Never administer Benzonatate in more than the prescribed dose.
- Taking a drug in increased dose or with increased frequency will lead to overdosage and ultimately death in few patients.
- Signs of overdosage: restlessness, tremors, convulsions or cardiac arrest have been reported within 1 hour of overdosage.
What happens if I eat expired Benzonatate?
- Taking a single dose of expired drug may not produce any adverse effect however the potency of the expired medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Benzonatate?
If you miss a dose of Benzonatate, skip that dose and take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not double the dose.
Storage Requirements for Benzonatate
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Benzonatate
- Do not break, cut or chew Benzonatate capsules as a release of its ingredients may lead to temporary oral anesthesia of mucosa and choking could occur.
- Keep Benzonatate out of reach of children. Accidental ingestion leading to death has been reported.