Table of Contents
Olive Oil is native to the Mediterranean Basin. This liquid fat is extracted from the fruit of the Olive tree (Olea europaea). Olive oil is used in cooking, mostly frying and in salad dressings or pizza dressing. It is also used in cosmetics, soaps, traditional lamps, pharmaceuticals etc. The process of making Olive oil dates back to around 6000 BC and has been used in religious rituals and skin care application.
Types of Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Obtained by extracting fresh olive juice by crushing or cold pressing
- Standard Virgin Oil: Has an acidity level of less than 2%. The taste is milder and the quality is lower than that of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Refined Olive Oil: Refining agents such as acids and alkalis are used to extract as much oil as possible from the pulp remaining after the first pressing
- Pomace Oil: It is of low grade and is obtained by byproducts of extra virgin olive oil production
Properties of Olive Oil
- Rich in monosaturated fats and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
- Contains Vitamin E and K
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
- Does not cause weight gain
- Maintains healthy cholesterol levels
- Good for digestion
- Balances hormones to fight mood disorders
Benefits of Olive Oil
- Moisturizes skin, facilitates younger and healthy-looking skin, improves skin elasticity
- Reduces signs of ageing
- Helps brittle nails get strong
- Heals cracked heels
- Reduces dandruff and adds moisture to hair
- Promotes hair growth
Also read: Benefits of Olive Oil
Lesser Known Olive Oil Wonders
- Removes grease and paint from the hands
- Can be used as furniture polish
- Helps soften ear wax
- Can be used as a substitute to shaving cream
How To Use Olive Oil
For moisturizing your hair
Take ½ tbsp of Olive Oil, 2 tbsp honey and an egg yolk. Mix them together to form a paste and apply. Let it sit for 20 minutes and wash with normal water.
Also read: Benefits of Olive Oil for Hair Growth
For treating dandruff
Massage warm olive oil on your scalp and hair and let it stay for an hour or overnight. Wash with a mild shampoo afterwards.
To reduce signs of aging
Take 2 tbsp olive oil and mix it with 1 tbsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Massage on your skin and repeat thrice a week.
To make a lip scrub
Mix olive oil with some sugar and lemon juice and massage gently on your lips.
DIY Home- Made Pomegranate Lip Balm with Olive Oil
Heat 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 2 tbsp beeswax, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a pan over medium flame. Next, remove from heat and add 7 drops of pomegranate oil or pomegranate juice and whisk until it forms a thick paste. Pour into a chapstick tube or a small box and let it cool until it is hard. Use as needed. You can also try other fruits for different tints and flavors.
Olive Oil for Cooking
Olive Oil Lemon Sauce
Blend the juice of one lemon and a few drops of fresh orange juice with 1 garlic clove, sea salt (according to taste and 1/3 cup extra virgin Olive Oil. Put it in a bowl and use it as a dressing or side sauce. This is a very easy to make recipe and will take just about 5 minutes.
You can also use it instead of your usual cooking oil.
Also read: Benefits of Olive Oil for Cooking